Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Unicode Consortium today announced version 7.0 of the Unicode Standard, which will see the introduction of approximately 250 new emoji that could be included in future versions of the Android and iOS operating systems.

According to the Unicode Consortium, the new emoji characters are primarily derived from characters used in the Wingdings and Webdings fonts, as seen in an example image:

emojisample.jpg
As noted by The Verge, Unicode member platforms like iOS and Android will need to implement support for the new standard and create pictographs to represent the emoji, which are only described by Unicode in plain text.

A full list of the new emoji names can be found on Emojipedia, which includes descriptions for each future emoji. A few examples are posted here:

- "white sun behind cloud"
- "man in business suit levitating"
- "derelict house building"
- "chipmunk"
- "flying envelope"
- "reversed hand with middle finger extended"

Earlier this year, Apple began working with the Unicode Consortium to introduce more characters to its emoji offerings, adding diversity to the character set, but this update does not seem to focus on people emoji.

The Unicode update will also see the addition of new currency symbols for the Russian ruble and Azerbaijani manat, 23 lesser-used and historic scripts, plus many other symbols.

Article Link: 250 New Emoji Introduced Today, May See Inclusion in Future Versions of iOS

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
The Unicode update will also see the addition of new currency symbols for the Russian ruble and Azerbaijani manat, 23 lesser-used and historic scripts, plus many other symbols.

How about the Bitcoin currency symbol?

Yakibomb

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2014
Cape Town
How long before we actually see these emoji on our phones? Would be nice if :apple: started including them in the next iOS 8 beta :D

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2011
Anyone have ideas on how they might make it easier to use? There's so many already and scrolling through them all takes a while. :):confused::eek::mad::rolleyes::cool::p;):D:eek::(:apple:

proline

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2012
I'm sure this will roll out for Android users as a free update that runs on all Android phones announced since 2011... after all, Androids OEMs stand behind their product just as much as Apple does, right?

The Flying Kite

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2012
Finally I can describe my desire to my friends to be a man in a business suit levitating in a derelict house building while a chipmunk rides a flying envelope in the background with a white sun setting behind a cloud!

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
I wonder if Apple will ruin them with iOS 7 design, or go back to the classic design for this one.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
"Raised Hand With Part Between Middle And Ring Fingers"

I like that this finally has recognition. I don't know why we need separate characters for "one button mouse", "two button mouse" and "three button mouse" or why the keyboard character is specified as "wired".

I guess it was meant to standardize the -ding fonts without generalization...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.