Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pikachu4170

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
As with every new iOS device I helped set up, it really bugs me that the "Podcasts" and "iTunes U" apps (Which are pretty much unnecessary) are pre-installed/OEM.

I would suggest only making those 2 apps as download-only.

Anyone agree?

jlsm511

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2008
KMIA
They aren't auto installed. It prompts you to download them when you first launch the App Store, but they don't come preinstalled, at least not on any of my iPhones.

Winona Northdakota

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2010
I have never had either of those apps pre-installed on any iOS device. I have downloaded the Podcasts app... It gets too many app updates to be burned into a ROM...

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
They aren't normally installed by a stock install. However even if they were, many people have "issues" with some other stock apps that are installed by default, so it's not really something special about just those two.

Winona Northdakota

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2010
They aren't normally installed by a stock install. However even if they were, many people have "issues" with some other stock apps that are installed by default, so it's not really something special about just those two.

While I get your point, The Podcasts app is no different than the iMovie, pages or GarageBand app. These are Apple apps that come from the App Store.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
While I get your point, The Podcasts app is no different than the iMovie, pages or GarageBand app. These are Apple apps that come from the App Store.
Pretty much. And similar to iMovie or GarageBand the Podcasts app comes from the App Store and isn't installed by default.

Winona Northdakota

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2010
Pretty much. And similar to iMovie or GarageBand the Podcasts app comes from the App Store and isn't installed by default.

Correct, and the user may be prompted to download from the App Store just like GarageBand, iMovie, Pages, Keynote, etc., with an iPhone 5C-5S.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.