Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is your Battery Life better or worse?

• Yes, my battery life is noticeably better

Votes: 94 25.1%
  • No, my battery life seems to be a bit worse

Votes: 192 51.3%
  • It's too early to tell. It's my opinion that you shouldn't be able to tell yet.

Votes: 88 23.5%

• Total voters

applevinci

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2008
I'm after "Reset All Settings". This is result after all night :rolleyes: Do not disturb on...

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 242

applevinci

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2008
OK, finally it's ok!!! I just uninstalled Skype.app... This app was draining my battery! Now my battery have 2 days standby and 7 hours usage :)

mich070

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2013
OK, finally it's ok!!! I just uninstalled Skype.app... This app was draining my battery! Now my battery have 2 days standby and 7 hours usage :)

But were u constantly logged in in ur account or how was it? Did u also have ur app switched on? Because whenever i want to skype, i need to open my app, and then i am automatically logged in!

----------

Guys i have one question!
Whenever i go to sleep during night, i put my phone on airplane. It doesn t matter what percentage i have. But i notice that when i am at 100%, the next da after waking up i didn t lose any percentage + there is no additional usag time, only additional standbye time. But for example if i go to bed an my phone is at 30% , the next day i lose like 10% of battery (airplane mode on) and i get like 3 additional hours of phantom usge... did somebody experience the same?! Thank u very much...

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Seems like you could just not be running it--and only run it when needed--and that would do it.

warnerza

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2014
I own an iphone 5s 16gig...i get about 2 days of normal use,glad i made the swop to iphone.

Last edited:

alligator69

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2013
iPhone 5 drains dead in less than 10 hours in mostly dormant state

It's just garbage. I've grown accustomed to carrying my charger around with me now because I get maybe a half day out of my iPhone 5. And yeah, phantom usage. I could not use my phone all day and I'd still see 3-4 hours of usage under battery usage.

This is pretty much the same situation for me now. My iPhone 5 drains dead in less than 10 hours in a mostly dormant state (i.e; I essentially haven't touched it) By this point, I've done every power saving step I could find on recent internet searches. Got rid of Facebook app. Turned off background refresh on all other apps. Turned off blue tooth and WiFi. Close all apps when not actually in use. Wiped all data from phone and reset as a new phone setup with new backup. None of these measures had the slightest positive impact on battery life. In fact, every time I tried something new, the battery drain actually got worse!

To illustrate, Here's the latest scenario:

Phone was fully charged at 100% when I went to sleep.

Having only set the phone's alarm clock, woke up in 6 hrs. to 86% remaining battery.

Spent about 15m reviewing apps and settings which resulted in 64% remaining battery.

Later in the A.M., listened to some music on the phone for about 40m (in two 20m sittings)

An hour later, the phone was at 1% remaining battery and drained dead within 2m.

I basically haven't put any other kind of usage on any iPhone I've had and I'd basically be able to get 2 1/2 to 3 days out of each charge on earlier models. My iPhone 5 is less than a year old. Battery life seemed fine, even without power saving measures, up until a couple of months ago. I can't isolate the change to any one factor like an app or IOS "upgrade". I was on 7.0 when the problem began but had already been on it for some time without any issues. When I reset the phone the other day, I began using 7.1

Extremely frustrating. I will end up having to go to the Apple Store where some geek will probably tell me I just need to try the power saving tips I've already done or reset my phone from a backup which I've already done. Since Apple deliberately designs its devices so that the consumer can't even resolve an issue like performing a simple battery replacement, I'll have to leave it there and be without my phone for at least a week plus delete all my data and restore from a backup again before I can use it again. And, if you don't want to be "phoneless" for 7 days you can rent a loaner for $30.00 and eat up some more time setting that up.

This is just the latest in a long line of time wasting frustrations with just about every Apple product I've owned. The best concepts, product design and quality out there but when it comes to actual execution, it's quite often an EPIC FAIL. All the quality is in the hardware and product design. Operating systems and applications are another story, entirely. Why release an updated operating system and design all these great features and options if using them results in the battery not lasting beyond 5 hrs.? Their quality control is extremely lacking. With every new version of OS X or IOS users are increasingly reluctant to "upgrade" due to the increasingly real risk that things they depend on that were previously fine will "blow up", causing a huge amount of work to restore, cease functioning without fixes and workarounds or outrightly become incompatible. People invest huge amounts of time and money buying into the whole seamless ultra compatible Apple products suite concept and they just seem to almost completely ignore that fact as they change apps, systems and features in a haphazard manner often removing popular and essential features without replacing them with new and improved ones. Or, not entirely removing a function but changing its location and burying it elsewhere where it's not clear that it's there or is otherwise difficult to locate. A good deal of this type of "change for the sake of change" or no real functional change, just cosmetic change exists. They should be mindful of their existing customer base and build on what people have already invested their time and knowledge in. There's no point in having the most fantastic computer or smart phone in the world if you have to spend inordinate amounts of time and energy doing research and chasing down fixes for things that are supposed to work but clearly don't. I guess this isn't a real concern for them as most people can't easily walk away from this level of learning, time and financial investment in a system, there's no real competition for this type of synergy/whole product suite and there seem to be a never-ending supply of customers so hooked on the whole Apple concept that they're willing to blindly accept anything Apple puts in front of them with all its inherent faults and frustrations along with the "built in obsolescence" mentality that keeps them buying the same products over and over again every few years whether they need to or not and of course, the inherent promise of the "next big thing”.

mich070

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2013
Just one question guys.. my battery seems to be bugging somehow or i don t know.. let's say that before leaving the house, i just put my iphone tp charge in order to have at least 30% of battery, unfortunately, after some time, it just jumps from 30% to 17% .... so i can't really rely on my phone and the battery seems not to be calirated because afterwards it j0ust gets stuck at 6% and then 1% and directly switches off..... hmm i guess that it's not the best behavior for a battery?

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
This is pretty much the same situation for me now. My iPhone 5 drains dead in less than 10 hours in a mostly dormant state (i.e; I essentially haven't touched it) By this point, I've done every power saving step I could find on recent internet searches. Got rid of Facebook app. Turned off background refresh on all other apps. Turned off blue tooth and WiFi. Close all apps when not actually in use. Wiped all data from phone and reset as a new phone setup with new backup. None of these measures had the slightest positive impact on battery life. In fact, every time I tried something new, the battery drain actually got worse!

To illustrate, Here's the latest scenario:

Phone was fully charged at 100% when I went to sleep.

Having only set the phone's alarm clock, woke up in 6 hrs. to 86% remaining battery.

Spent about 15m reviewing apps and settings which resulted in 64% remaining battery.

Later in the A.M., listened to some music on the phone for about 40m (in two 20m sittings)

An hour later, the phone was at 1% remaining battery and drained dead within 2m.

I basically haven't put any other kind of usage on any iPhone I've had and I'd basically be able to get 2 1/2 to 3 days out of each charge on earlier models. My iPhone 5 is less than a year old. Battery life seemed fine, even without power saving measures, up until a couple of months ago. I can't isolate the change to any one factor like an app or IOS "upgrade". I was on 7.0 when the problem began but had already been on it for some time without any issues. When I reset the phone the other day, I began using 7.1

Extremely frustrating. I will end up having to go to the Apple Store where some geek will probably tell me I just need to try the power saving tips I've already done or reset my phone from a backup which I've already done. Since Apple deliberately designs its devices so that the consumer can't even resolve an issue like performing a simple battery replacement, I'll have to leave it there and be without my phone for at least a week plus delete all my data and restore from a backup again before I can use it again. And, if you don't want to be "phoneless" for 7 days you can rent a loaner for $30.00 and eat up some more time setting that up.

This is just the latest in a long line of time wasting frustrations with just about every Apple product I've owned. The best concepts, product design and quality out there but when it comes to actual execution, it's quite often an EPIC FAIL. All the quality is in the hardware and product design. Operating systems and applications are another story, entirely. Why release an updated operating system and design all these great features and options if using them results in the battery not lasting beyond 5 hrs.? Their quality control is extremely lacking. With every new version of OS X or IOS users are increasingly reluctant to "upgrade" due to the increasingly real risk that things they depend on that were previously fine will "blow up", causing a huge amount of work to restore, cease functioning without fixes and workarounds or outrightly become incompatible. People invest huge amounts of time and money buying into the whole seamless ultra compatible Apple products suite concept and they just seem to almost completely ignore that fact as they change apps, systems and features in a haphazard manner often removing popular and essential features without replacing them with new and improved ones. Or, not entirely removing a function but changing its location and burying it elsewhere where it's not clear that it's there or is otherwise difficult to locate. A good deal of this type of "change for the sake of change" or no real functional change, just cosmetic change exists. They should be mindful of their existing customer base and build on what people have already invested their time and knowledge in. There's no point in having the most fantastic computer or smart phone in the world if you have to spend inordinate amounts of time and energy doing research and chasing down fixes for things that are supposed to work but clearly don't. I guess this isn't a real concern for them as most people can't easily walk away from this level of learning, time and financial investment in a system, there's no real competition for this type of synergy/whole product suite and there seem to be a never-ending supply of customers so hooked on the whole Apple concept that they're willing to blindly accept anything Apple puts in front of them with all its inherent faults and frustrations along with the "built in obsolescence" mentality that keeps them buying the same products over and over again every few years whether they need to or not and of course, the inherent promise of the "next big thing”.

Good post. The iPhone 5 was a dud of a phone, a thoroughly disappointing product and one which has greatly turned me off Apple. The way they rolled out iOS7 onto this device and raped the battery life without any apology or subsequent fix is disgraceful IMO. I waited patiently for MONTHS, fully expecting an update to fix this issue, and all that came was an 'update' which worsened the battery life even further. My i5 is only 11 months old and at least eight of those months have been frustrating as hell. I loved my i4 for pretty much two solid years and yet this thing has been a disaster from the word go. Loose buttons, camera rattle, dreadful battery life (since 7.0) and numerous software bugs (not so many now since 7.1).

All this talk of Apple delivering premium products is wide of the mark. Who cares if my phone is made of metal and the casing feels solid, when the buttons are loose and the battery life is disastrous? Give me a plastic phone with premium buttons and a decent battery life over that!

ravipiero

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2013
iOS 7.1 - Battery Drain (merged)

How's signal on your area? On my workplace, the signal is weak so my iPhone 5 battery last only around 5-7 hours on 3G. But in weekend, when I'm at home and on wifi my battery last way longer, now I'm on 44% with 13 hour stand by time. And I use my phone more on weekends.

Dented

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2009

The iPhone 5 was a dud of a phone

Do, please, speak for yourself!

I love my iPhone 5, much more on IOS 7 than 6 I have to say. It works well, runs very fast and smooth, and the battery life is great as far as I'm concerned. We've talked about this - I had a brief hiccup after the 7.11 update but after a settings reset my phone is now doing 16-17 hour days, with 6-7 hours usage, most of the bells and whistles switched on, giving me no problems at all.

In the early days of 7.0 it was obvious to me that the iPhone 5 was much more stable than the 5S and much better equipped for the new features than the 4S, so really it was in the sweet spot. Far from being a dud, the 5 has really come into it's own this year.

I personally feel it's pretty obvious from your many posts on the subject that there is something wrong with your phone. I have every sympathy for the problems you've had, but complaining on here and convincing yourself that every iPhone 5 out there is just as bad as yours, is not helping you. Taking it back to the shop might.

Last edited:

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Do, please, speak for yourself!

I love my iPhone 5, much more on IOS 7 than 6 I have to say. It works well, runs very fast and smooth, and the battery life is great as far as I'm concerned. We've talked about this - I had a brief hiccup after the 7.11 update but after a settings reset my phone is now doing 16-17 hour days, with 6-7 hours usage, most of the bells and whistles switched on, giving me no problems at all.

In the early days of 7.0 it was obvious to me that the iPhone 5 was much more stable than the 5S and much better equipped for the new features than the 4S, so really it was in the sweet spot. Far from being a dud, the 5 has really come into it's own this year.

I personally feel it's pretty obvious from your many posts on the subject that there is something wrong with your phone. I have every sympathy for the problems you've had, but complaining on here and convincing yourself that every iPhone 5 out there is just as bad as yours, is not helping you. Taking it back to the shop might.

So many others have the same issues with the i5 running iOS7 though. Mine isn't a minority case.

Dented

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2009

So many others have the same issues with the i5 running iOS7 though. Mine isn't a minority case.

You're looking for others to justify and support your experience while ignoring the many many others who go nowhere near these forums and have no problems with their phones. Not to mention those like me who are here, posting evidence that contradicts yours!

Taking a subsection of posters here as proof of anything is an illusion, statistically meaningless. Apple have sold many, many millions of iPhone 5's, virtually all of which are now running IOS 7 - do you really imagine that all of them - or even most of them - are burning their batteries out by lunchtime every day?

Here's me at the moment by the way - not a very heavy day usage wise but then I've got a lot of battery left still..

a4yda2a9.jpg

Last edited:

Beefburga

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2009
Batteries Deplete ......That is all

(1) Turn off battery percentages, use phone
(2) Use phone, charge when required

I couldn't believe just how much I was checking my phone just to find out how much battery its used while sitting on my desk or downloading an email, jeeez!, it got to the point where the constant checking was ruining the love for my phone not to mention my marriage!!

Now I just do the simple 2 steps at the top of my post.

**** No batteries where killed in the drafting of this post ****

Dented

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2009
(1) Turn off battery percentages, use phone

(2) Use phone, charge when required

I couldn't believe just how much I was checking my phone just to find out how much battery its used while sitting on my desk or downloading an email, jeeez!, it got to the point where the constant checking was ruining the love for my phone not to mention my marriage!!

Now I just do the simple 2 steps at the top of my post.

**** No batteries where killed in the drafting of this post ****

I think there's some merit in that, but to be fair, there's no question that some people have problem battery life, and when it happens to you it's no fun and glib posts like this really don't help!

My point specifically to the previous poster is that there's no particular problem with the iPhone 5 in general - I don't doubt *his* phone has a problem, but it's an isolated case.

Beefburga

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2009
I think there's some merit in that, but to be fair, there's no question that some people have problem battery life, and when it happens to you it's no fun and glib posts like this really don't help!

My point specifically to the previous poster is that there's no particular problem with the iPhone 5 in general - I don't doubt *his* phone has a problem, but it's an isolated case.

I might of been insincere but definitely not glib.......;)

My post wasn't aimed to offend, I read posts of peoples iPhones batteries lasting twice, three times the length of mine but I simply have given up switching different things on and off and just live with my phone the way it performs

(6-7 Hours usage and 24+ hours standby)

but I'm forever playing with my phone if not Twitter it's Facetube.

Like my first post said, when my battery gets low I plug it in but I normally get a full day of faffing about before it goes T's up.

Will iOS8 and its option to see whats draining your battery be the answer to everyones prayers or will it just throw another spanner in the works?.

Last edited:

applevinci

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2008
OK, I have drain problem again... But this is a strange thing! I have battery draining only on my Wi-Fi network! On cellular or other Wi-Fi networks all is fine!

sarahragan2014

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2014
Carson City
Mine seems a bit worse, and there seems to be something running on my iPhone almost constantly. I have the spinning spikey ball just to the right of the '4G', and it seems to never stop.

I turned off everything that could be running in the background, or so I thought... It seems to go from 9x percent to 3x percent quickly these days and then plummets to under 1x percent in minutes...

Consensus: Any truth to the letting it diediedie and charging it for a day to 'reset' anything to do with the battery??

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
My iPhone 5 has rubbish battery life with 7.1

Like others I've done every battery saving trick, brightness down, no parallax, airplane mode, background app update off, very limited iCloud turned on, mail turned to manual not push.... YET I still have terrible battery life an I can't believe Apple isn't fixing it because I know that 8 will have the same problems. Why Apple can't release an update without battery problems is beyond me.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
My iPhone 5 has rubbish battery life with 7.1

Like others I've done every battery saving trick, brightness down, no parallax, airplane mode, background app update off, very limited iCloud turned on, mail turned to manual not push.... YET I still have terrible battery life an I can't believe Apple isn't fixing it because I know that 8 will have the same problems. Why Apple can't release an update without battery problems is beyond me.
Doesn't really seem like there really are battery problems with most upgrades as most don't have related battery issues.

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
I've said this before and you can find this info if you dig around, but many of the original iPhone 5 batteries were pretty bad to the point of almost being considered defective. My solution was to pay apple $80 to put in a new battery and most of my issues went away.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
There are endless forum posts on the issue on a lot of websites.
Endless forum posts? Seems like there would be at least some of those here, and it doesn't really seem like there are.

That said, as far as iOS updates go, there are always battery posts on every update in many places, most just don't end up showing that anything is widespread or major and only in the very few cases when there really is something there then it becomes endless and ends up actually on various blogs and if it's truly widespread then even on various news outlets.

Now, as far as iPhone 5 in general, yes, there's some more information to it all as far as potentially weak hardware in a fair number of cases, in particular when it comes to the battery.

Coupz

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2013
I had battery issues in the past but since 1 or 2 months, I have good battery life on my iPhone 5. I'm going to bed with 30-50% battery and a usage time of 3,5-6 hours. On screen time is around 19 hours.

I would say my usage is around 1 hour a day music and rest is surfing and iMessage and whatsapp and Facebook and Facebook messenger :)

Checking with Status Lite my CPU is between 2 and 7% usage when my phone is idling.

Try out Status Lite and see how you CPU usage is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.