Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released the second beta of iOS 8 to developers, just over two weeks after unveiling the new operating system at its Worldwide Developers Conference. The update, build number 12A4297e, is available through Apple's over-the-air updating system on iOS devices and will also be available via the iOS Dev Center.

ios_8_beta_2.jpg
MacRumors forum users are tracking new changes and features found in Beta 2 in this thread.

Apple has also released Xcode 6 beta 2, new beta software for the Apple TV (for 3rd gen (+ rev a) only), and OS X Yosemite Update 1.0.

iOS 8 introduces a range of new features, including improved integration with OS X through Continuity, a Health app, Family Sharing features, interactive notifications, a new QuickType Keyboard and improvements to several apps like Safari, Mail, and Messages.

iOS 8 is only available to developers at the current point in time, but it is expected to be released to the public this fall after several additional beta iterations. Based on past history, iOS 8 will likely be released alongside new iPhones, and possibly the much-rumored iWatch.

The second iOS 8 beta includes several tweaks to the operating system, such as a permanent Podcasts app that now comes pre-installed and QuickType for the iPad. Safari is also able to block ads that redirect to the App Store, and there's a new iCloud Photos popup that replaces Photo Stream when the Photos app is opened for the first time. For a full list of changes to iOS 8 in beta 2, make sure to check out our beta 2 tidbits post.

Direct links
(You must be a paid registered Apple developer to access these links.)

- iPad Air (Model 1474)
- iPad Air (Model 1475)
- iPad Air (Model 1476)
- iPad mini (Model A1489)
- iPad mini (Model A1490)
- iPad mini (Model A1491)
- iPad (4th generation Model A1458)
- iPad (4th generation Model A1459)
- iPad (4th generation Model A1460)
- iPad mini (Model A1432)
- iPad mini (Model A1454)
- iPad mini (Model A1455)
- iPad Wi-Fi (3rd generation)
- iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (model for ATT)
- iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (model for Verizon)
- iPad 2 Wi-Fi (Rev A)
- iPad 2 Wi-Fi
- iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G (GSM)
- iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G (CDMA)

- iPhone 5s (Model A1453, A1533)
- iPhone 5s (Model A1457, A1518, A1528, A1530)
- iPhone 5c (Model A1456, A1532)
- iPhone 5c (Model A1507, A1516, A1526, A1529)
- iPhone 5 (Model A1428)
- iPhone 5 (Model A1429)
- iPhone 4S

- iPod touch (5th generation)

Article Link: Apple Releases iOS 8 Beta 2 to Developers

Rudy69

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2009
Not showing on my over the air yet :/

edit: funny because I managed to get OS X 10.10 update 1.0 on my mac though ;)

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Apple today released the second beta of iOS 8 to developers, just over two weeks after unveiling the new operating system at its Worldwide Developers Conference. The update is available through Apple's over-the-air updating system on iOS devices and will also be available via the iOS Dev Center.

iOS 8 introduces a range of new features, including improved integration with OS X through Continuity, a Health app, Family Sharing features, interactive notifications, a new QuickType Keyboard and improvements to several apps like Safari, Mail, and Messages.

iOS 8 is only available to developers at the current point in time, but it is expected to be released to the public this fall after several additional beta iterations. Based on past history, iOS 8 will likely be released alongside new iPhones, and possibly the much-rumored iWatch.

Article Link: Apple Releases iOS 8 Beta 2 to Developers

It's not available OTA yet.

mrxak

macrumors 68000
So how's it going? I held off on installing the first beta because there were no compelling features I wanted to immediately start playing with, and I figured I'd try it out a little later. Is iOS 8 decently stable? What are your favorite new features?

bigchrisfgb

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2010
So how's it going? I held off on installing the first beta because there were no compelling features I wanted to immediately start playing with, and I figured I'd try it out a little later. Is iOS 8 decently stable? What are your favorite new features?
It's been out for 5 minutes, most people won't have aven been able to download it yet.

Populism

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2014
Don't flame me. Just curious. Are there others who would like mouse/trackpad compatibility in iOS when, for example, using the iPad with in a dock and typing on a keyboard? Maybe I'm the only one.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
As long as iCloud documents are not compatible with Mavericks, I cannot update my devices. This is from the release notes:
Notes
Upon upgrading to iOS 8 Beta, existing iCloud Documents & Data present (not evicted) on your device are copied into special server-side containers for use during the beta period.
iCloud Documents & Data created with iOS 8 Beta will not sync with with Documents and Data managed with iOS 7, OS X Mavericks, or earlier operating systems.
iCloud Documents & Data in iOS 8 Beta will only sync with devices running iOS 8 and OS X Yosemite Developer Preview.
iCloud Documents & Data managed with iOS 7 or OS X Mavericks will remain unaffected.
iCloud Documents & Data created with iOS 8 Beta will be deleted from the servers at some point during the beta period. Information downloaded and not evicted from the device will remain on device and will re-sync after the data wipe occurs.
The UI for managing iCloud Documents & Data does not show the documents and data for iOS 8 Beta and OS X Yosemite Developer Preview. It only shows the documents and data synced with previous operating systems.

MisakixMikasa

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Don't flame me. Just curious. Are there others who would like mouse/trackpad compatibility in iOS when, for example, using the iPad with in a dock and typing on a keyboard? Maybe I'm the only one.

I want mouse capability. Making editing office documents so much easier and oh, FPS gaming so much easier. I hate using controllers,this is why I will never buy game consoles.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Funny, I mentioned we may be moving to a "every other tuesday" release cycle for iOS 8 Betas and people were "na". so there! :p

towg

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2012
Cardiff
Well I'll be damned - our 'source' had the build number right!:

"It's ready so look for it June 17th.

12A4297
Issues Fixed

AirDrop
- Improved AirDrop between OSX and iOS
- Fixed a problem where AirDrops would be declined unexpectedly

Much Much More"

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Funny, I mentioned we may be moving to a "every other tuesday" release cycle for iOS 8 Betas and people were "na". so there! :p
Not sure one release on a Tuesday implies an every other Tuesday cycle. We'll see.

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
Could you please tell me if you get prompt asking for your iCloud password every few seconds?

I had this issue in beta 1, it was very annoying, because apart from that beta 1 was amazing!

Thanks in advance!!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Well I'll be damned - our 'source' had the build number right!:

"It's ready so look for it June 17th.

12A4297
Issues Fixed

AirDrop
- Improved AirDrop between OSX and iOS
- Fixed a problem where AirDrops would be declined unexpectedly

Much Much More"
Not counting the "e" at the end...but interesting nonetheless.

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
Apple has also released Xcode 6 beta 2

{snip}

iOS 8 is only available to developers at the current point in time

It is worth noting that Xcode 6 is also only available to developers (iOS or Mac) at this point in time, as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.