Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RaNdOm

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2003
Albuquerque, New Mexico
If you (or anyone else having the same problem - that the OTA update is downloaded but won't install) find a way to fix it, please write it here!

It can't be storage, cause I have 33GB of free storage on my phone.
I've tried restarting several times and hard restart too.

I've deleted the old download, and I'm now downloading again. No errors for the download so far, but it is taking awhile, as expected.

Last edited:

geekonthepc

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2013
Just downloading now. While it's doing it - and I know this might sound stupid - but may I ask what the difference is between Photo Stream and iCloud Photos before I switch it on? I did watch the keynote but can't remember now -.-

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Still getting this error:

"Software Updated Failed
An error occurred downloading iOS 8.0 beta 2."

Anyone else get this? It's been happening to me for over an hour. I keep trying every 5-10 minutes..I've tried restarting phone, etc..nothing's helped yet.

RaNdOm

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2003
Albuquerque, New Mexico
- Podcasts installed (CAN'T DELETE IT ARGH)
- Camera and microphone icons in Messages.app are gray instead of blue. (Look better in my opinion)
- Safari is slightly faster
- Introducing iCloud Photos (iCloud Photos page prompted when opening Photos.app for the first time) This will disable photo stream.
- App store is still slow.
- Mail.app is slightly faster

A fix that worked for me is to go into the "usage" portion, delete the Beta download (in my case it was showing as 2.3Gb, 32gb iPhone 5s, Att). Restart

Search for the Beta download again. The process, while taking a long time, seems to have worked this time. The Verifying Update dialogue was displayed, restarted, but this time I get the Apple logo with an install progress bar.

Good Luck:)

chr1s60

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2007
California
So how's it going? I held off on installing the first beta because there were no compelling features I wanted to immediately start playing with, and I figured I'd try it out a little later. Is iOS 8 decently stable? What are your favorite new features?

As someone that has used the betas from iOS 5 and up, I think the iOS 8 beta is probably the least buggy initial beta that I have seen. Most apps run in it pretty smoothly and there are not many freezes and crashed. That said, it is still a beta and does occasionally force itself to restart or crash an app, but the frequency is far lower than the betas in years past.

GrandMstrBud

macrumors member
May 6, 2013
Well I'll be damned - our 'source' had the build number right!:

"It's ready so look for it June 17th.

12A4297
Issues Fixed

AirDrop
- Improved AirDrop between OSX and iOS
- Fixed a problem where AirDrops would be declined unexpectedly

Much Much More"

Hmmm, and I was full of it according to everyone on here

GrandMstrBud

macrumors member
May 6, 2013
Yep I was full of it, full release notes, and for those who didn't believe me look back and compare to my last post

Known Issues

FaceTime
- When moving from portrait to landscape mode you may be unable to relocate the preview window
- Initiating a call in landscape mode shows a black bar on right side of screen while ringing

Family
- After creating Family on an iPad you see a blank screen
- Workaround: Go back to Settings and UI refreshes

iCloud Keychain
- It takes 2+ minutes to sign into iCloud account

Keyboards
- Support for Split keyboards and split transitions in 3rd Party Keyboard

Launch Services
- Notes, Calendar, Messages, Maps and Reminders fail to continue activity from the lock screen

Reminders
- When you select Edit in a list of reminders and then scroll, reminders in the list are no longer editable

Springboard
- When App Switcher is launched some app preview screens may be clear / transparent
- Settings page not centered and dissapearing from the screen

Issues Fixed Since Release 1

AirDrop
- Improved AirDrop between OSX and iOS
- Fixed a problem where AirDrops would be declined unexpectedly

Baseband & Telephony
- Fixed a problem where "SOS Only" would be displayed instead of "No Service" in some limited-service scenarios
- Fixed a problem where Personal Hotspot would go missing after a carrier bundle update
- Fixed UE continue to ring after MO call is ended
- Fixed a problem where FaceTime calls over cellular were possible when not entitled
- Enable LTE switch available for all iPhone carriers (Encore and above)

ChatKit
- Fixed an issue where MMS was incorrectly sent instead of iMessage to phone registered for iMessage

Calendar
- Fixed an issue with missing Calendar information in Notification Center
- Added support for Egypt, Jordan, Libya, Oman, Palestine to overlay calendar

Clock
- Fixed incorrect analog/digital clock display

FaceTime
- Fixed issue in FaceTime call ending after killing the App
- Fixed issue for Cellular to WiFi Transition
- Fixed issue with Encore for WiFi preference during FaceTime call
- Fixed issue where FaceTime can became difficult to use in landscape mode
- Fixed issue where initiating a call in landscape shows a black bar on the right side of the screen while ringing

Keyboard
- Multiple fixes and enhancements for Keyboards
- Improved Chinese character candidate selection
- Improved Japanese character candidate selection
- Improved for Slovenian, Hindi, French and other languages
- Fixed issue where Keyboard eventually won’t highlight the pressed key

- Improved Canadian localisation
- Improved Catalan localisation
- Improved Chinese localisation
- Improved Czech localisation
- Improved Danish localisation
- Improved French localisation
- Improved Greek localisation
- Improved Hebrew localisation
- Improved Hindi localisation
- Improved Norwegian localisation
- Improved Spanish localisation

- Introduced support for indoor information (floor number) for Find My iPhone
- Improved mobility detection

Mail
- Fixed bug for deleting Mail message on iPad

- Corrected scenario causing the device to send multi photos as individual MMS
- Added a user confirmation step before sending audio messages while using Raise To Talk
- Improved SMS continuity function with iPhone
- Fixed a problem where sent SMS/iMessages would appear to have failed even though they were successful
- Fixed issue where we no longer relaying SMS from emergency services
- Fixed SMS continuity message show up as “unknown” with blank message

Notifications
- Fixed issue causing old notifications to show up in Notification Center

Safari
- Added Spotlight Suggestion search in Safari
- Updated Spotlight Suggestion search setting localization
- Now using SSL for Yahoo! searches
- Fixed issue in Safari Sidebar
- Fixed issue in Safari Sidebar animation
- Fixed issue where keyboard doesn't switch back to letters after a comma in Safari

Setup
- Disable location service will not disable Find My iPhone service
- Fixed “Vibrate on Ring” does not reset after “Reset All Settings”

Siri
- Improved voice pronunciation

Software Update
- Preinstalled fonts and dictionaries not getting copied during OTA update

VVM
- Fixed issue where VVM doesn't function until a reboot after installing new build
- Fixed issue where Classic VM call initiated from VM button, doesn't show dialpad as default
- Fixed issue where part of the active Voicemail block is dimmed

VoiceOver

- Improved voice over reading for Cangjie keyboard
- Improved voice over for Chinese characters
- Improved voice over for Names reading

Weather
- Fixed doubled showing of search result
- Fixed a bug showing incorrect weather in “At a Glance”
- Fixed issue where UI does not show the weather for the day requested if it is beyond 5 days and with in 10 days
- Fixed issue where rotating during transition from list view to individual city will result in broken layout
- Added space after AM, PM and the time in Hindi (पू and अ)

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Hmmm, and I was full of it according to everyone on here
None of the AirDrop stuff you mentioned was in the release notes. You mentioned FaceTime fixes for things like landscape view, yet the release notes point out that those are known existing issues (that weren't fixed). So while you seem to have some sort of info, it doesn't quite seem to match up in at least some if not a lot of cases.

GrandMstrBud

macrumors member
May 6, 2013
None of the AirDrop stuff you mentioned was in the release notes. You mentioned FaceTime fixes for things like landscape view, yet the release notes point out that those are known existing issues (that weren't fixed). So while you seem to have some sort of info, it doesn't quite seem to match up in at least some if not a lot of cases.

That's fine maybe I made it all up and the build number. I guess I'll keep quiet from now on

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
That's fine maybe I made it all up and the build number. I guess I'll keep quiet from now on
Feel free to do whatever you want to do. I simply pointed out some inconsistencies, nothing more, nothing less.

palemonkey

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2013
Anyone know how to fix QuickType keyboard missing? All I see is a thin grey bar above my keyboard.

r-m

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2010
I'm mixed about how I feel about Podcasts being a mandatory app.

I just hope this means Apple is taking podcasts seriously.

ARgghh, no! Just no! I don't like the podcasts app unless I absolutely need it as a last resort. I hate that it hi-jacks RSS links and doesn't seem to have an off-switch for that particular "Feature" - if anyone knows how to disable that, please shout.

----------

I've never seen the progress bar move so fast downloading an update.

Yeah I noticed that. Started downloading it as soon as I saw someone post about it on dev forums, and 1.9gb said it would take 2 minutes. I don't think I've ever seen it that fast - go apple!

----------

Anyone know how to fix QuickType keyboard missing? All I see is a thin grey bar above my keyboard.

Swipe up from the space bar to the grey bar. Don't swipe from the bottom of the screen, or you'll get control centre. Just from the space bar.

palemonkey

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2013
ARgghh, no! Just no! I don't like the podcasts app unless I absolutely need it as a last resort. I hate that it hi-jacks RSS links and doesn't seem to have an off-switch for that particular "Feature" - if anyone knows how to disable that, please shout.

----------

Yeah I noticed that. Started downloading it as soon as I saw someone post about it on dev forums, and 1.9gb said it would take 2 minutes. I don't think I've ever seen it that fast - go apple!

----------

Swipe up from the space bar to the grey bar. Don't swipe from the bottom of the screen, or you'll get control centre. Just from the space bar.

Nice! Thanks

----------

Does WhatsApp works now? at beta1 it doesn't work at all

Still crashes for me

Giuly

macrumors 68040
2hxumnl.jpg

ComputerThrow.gif

(And yes, of course the Photos app crashed, too, when I cropped off the status bar)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.