Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Automatic today announced a major update for its Automatic app and connected driving platform, introducing a significant app overhaul with a revamped UI designed to be "lighter, faster, and more modern."

Along with a new look, the Automatic app now provides data on fuel level and gives low fuel warnings. In supported cars, fuel level will be displayed directly in the iPhone app, along with an estimate of the miles left in the tank based on driving habits. Users are able to set an alert to be warned when they're low on gas.

automatic.jpg
Automatic's new fuel data is only available to approximately half of cars using the Automatic system, as many cars do not report their fuel level through the diagnostic port. Automatic recommends checking whether a car supports fuel data on its website.

With the new app update, consumers will also be able to change the speed at which Automatic delivers alerts for driving too fast. Previously set at 70 MPH, users will now be able to choose a custom speed, which is useful for states with higher or lower speed limits. Along with customizable speed thresholds, Automatic is also improving how customers are warned when driving too fast, cutting down on the number of warning chirps.
Now, consumers will only hear the chirp once when you cross the threshold. The chirp won't repeat for the rest of the trip unless a person dips below the threshold and crosses it again.
The Automatic Link, which plugs into a car's data port, can be purchased from the Automatic website for $99.95. The Automatic app can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Automatic Gains Redesigned App, New Data on Fuel Level

Dekema2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
WNY or Utica
I think it would be cool if Apple introduced DriveKit for iOS 9. You could see stats on all of your cars, where you've driven, etc.

iansilv

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2007
Why doesn't this thing display engine codes? I would buy it if it could display engine codes. It would be absolutely awesome as an odb-2 reader...

outphase

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
Why doesn't this thing display engine codes? I would buy it if it could display engine codes. It would be absolutely awesome as an odb-2 reader...

I'm not familiar with car maintenance terminology, but isn't that what's described in the "Keep Your Engine Healthy" section of the site?

iMerik

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2011
Upper Midwest
The one time my car coded since I've had the Automatic, it showed me the code. I don't remember if it told me about the code or if I just had to Google it from that point on. It also allowed me to reset / turn off the code. Are you wanting it to do more than that?

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC

It does do that if your check engine light comes on. Mine shows the code and a reason, then offers to find the nearest mechanic or reset the code.

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013

Probably because, unfortunately for you, your car is in working condition. :D

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
I don't see how a fuel gauge warning indicator is needed. I can simply look at my dashboard and see my low-fuel indicator light appear. I don't have to distract myself by looking at my iPhone.

Sometimes people just create features to create them without thinking.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Now, consumers will only hear the chirp once when you cross the threshold. The chirp won't repeat for the rest of the trip unless a person dips below the threshold and crosses it again.
This is why god created "cruise control".

BJB Productions

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2008
Wish they would've put some effort into actually improving the app by integrating more statistics. They do so little with all the information the link could be collecting.

Last edited:

Crzyrio

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
Wish they would've taken some effort to actually improve the app by integrating more statistics. They do so little with all the information that the link could be collecting.

It takes a lot of time.

Only the basic stats required by the government standard maps on the OBD-2 controller. The rest of them vary from model to model.

In some cases 'VW' & 'Audi' have their proprietary 'language' for accessing the other data. Making it impossible for the link to obtain information other than the very basics

Lopezzi

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2002
Springfield, MO
I don't see how a fuel gauge warning indicator is needed. I can simply look at my dashboard and see my low-fuel indicator light appear. I don't have to distract myself by looking at my iPhone.

While I can obviously look at the gauge in my car, my car doesn't have a low fuel light or any kind of warning. I would see this useful for me, but unfortunately, my car doesn't report it's fuel level to the OBD.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
While I can obviously look at the gauge in my car, my car doesn't have a low fuel light or any kind of warning. I would see this useful for me, but unfortunately, my car doesn't report it's fuel level to the OBD.

What kind of car doesn't have a low fuel light? Every car I've ever driven does.

macintologist

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2004

They have an API so it's possible for anyone to create apps and use cases based on the data they collect.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011

It does.

Dad had a CEL in his 4Runner. Plugged my automatic into it, and it supplied code and correctly identified cylinder 3 as misfiring.

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
It does.

Dad had a CEL in his 4Runner. Plugged my automatic into it, and it supplied code and correctly identified cylinder 3 as misfiring.

I think the point is that they would like to be able to see the general status codes & logging info. being produced not just the warnings/errors/problems.

I also would like to see that information. I would suspect that internal/Dev builds of the app would show this information for troubleshooting and debugging, why not just open it up for everyone to see?

Surreal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2004
I want to buy one but their privacy policies don't convince me that it is worth it.
From their privacy policy page:

As we develop our business, we might sell or buy businesses or assets. In the event of a corporate sale, merger, reorganization, dissolution or similar event, Personal Data may be part of the transferred assets; in this event, you will be notified via email and/or a prominent notice on our website of any change in ownership, as well as any choices you may have regarding your Personal Data. We may also share your information with our subsidiaries and affiliates, if any.

That, coupled with the fact that they store trip information for however long the decide, makes me just uneasy enough to hold off.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
I think the point is that they would like to be able to see the general status codes & logging info. being produced not just the warnings/errors/problems.

I also would like to see that information. I would suspect that internal/Dev builds of the app would show this information for troubleshooting and debugging, why not just open it up for everyone to see?
They have a published API you can access. Go for it.

iansilv

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2007
Thanks for everyone replying about the ODB-2 code reading the Automatic dongle does- I actually looked in to it when it was first announced and got an email saying it would not be doing that- but that was six months before sit was released. I am pretty excited and am ordering this- thanks everyone!

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth

which vehicle? I'm guessing its older than a 1996?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.