Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Popular game developer Halfbrick Studios has made its entire catalog of apps free to download, which means titles like Fruit Ninja, Fish Out of Water, Monster Dash and Age of Zombies are all free.

While some of these titles, like Fruit Ninja have been free many times in the past, other titles, like Colossatron and Fish Out of Water have not been offered for free. As noted by our sister site TouchArcade, Halfbrick has not commented on the sale, so it is unknown whether the change is permanent or temporary.

halfbrick.jpg
A full list of the free apps can be found below, along with download links.

- Fruit Ninja [Direct Link: iPad/iPhone]
- Fruit Ninja: Puss in Boots [Direct Link: iPad/iPhone]
- Colossatron [Direct Link]
- Fish Out of Water [Direct Link]
- Age of Zombies [Direct Link]
- Monster Dash [Direct Link]

Update: Halfbrick is advertising the sale as "limited time" on its website, but does not appear to have specified when the deal will end.

Article Link: Halfbrick's Entire Library of Games is Now Free, Including Fruit Ninja, Monster Dash

jdiamond

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2008
It's a trick - they just converted the games to in-app purchases!

WARNING: If you already own some of these games, DO NOT upgrade. I like having games that once you buy, you simply own them, and you don't need to keep paying for things piecemeal.

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
WARNING: If you already own some of these games, DO NOT upgrade. I like having games that once you buy, you simply own them, and you don't need to keep paying for things piecemeal.
There have been in-app purchases in most of these games forever.. @_@

I remember buying the coin doubler for Jetpack Joyride when it released.

gorskiegangsta

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
As someone who already own most of these, I don't like where this has a potential of going. Eliminating revenue from app purchases is often offset with inclusion of IAP, and those oftentimes break the balance/enjoyability of games. Here's hoping I wouldn't have to wait 10min every time I want to replay a level.

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
As someone who already own most of these, I don't like where this has a potential of going. Eliminating revenue from app purchases is often offset with inclusion of IAP, and those oftentimes break the balance/enjoyability of games. Here's hoping I wouldn't have to wait 10min every time I want to replay a level.

Maybe I'm just too old to get it. If a game hits you you with a roadblock every time you get close to enjoying it why not delete and find another game.

The success of IAP really baffles me.

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
Maybe I'm just too old to get it. If a game hits you you with a roadblock every time you get close to enjoying it why not delete and find another game.

Exactly what I do. I despise IAP for just about everything (there are a few exceptions). But some games are OK with them, they don't stop your enjoyment but many just ruin the game. The minute I'm not having fun, is the minute it takes me to delete it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.