Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
I am on Sense, but use Nova Launcher to tweak the look of the phone, I go back and forth between a stock Nexus icon pack / wallpaper look here;

And a custom icon pack theme here;

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I have the money but since I have held off this long on the M8 waiting for more smartphone releases, I have not lost any sleep.

I will probably end up kicking myself because the camera in alternatives really is not a priority. The M8 is the phone to beat for me personally, somehow I really feel that will remain the case down the road.

Shaqq

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 17, 2014
I have never rooted a phone, those things took 2 minutes and some i did on my M8 too, in the developer options.

Oh ok. Do you think switching to ART really makes a difference on the M8 since its already smooth ? Did you feel a difference? And what else did you do from Developer Options to the M8?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Oh ok. Do you think switching to ART really makes a difference on the M8 since its already smooth ? Did you feel a difference? And what else did you do from Developer Options to the M8?

Unless you have apps that require Dalvik, then there is no negative switching to ART. Its the future of Android and its worth using if all your apps support it.

It also reduces memory usuage, however this is not an issue on the M8 as its very memory efficient. I noticed more saving benefit on the Galaxy S5 because it naturally is bit of a memory hog, so amy saving there helped multitaksing on that device. The M8 doesnt have that issue so not much too noticeable savinh advantage on either Dalvik or Art.

One benefit the M8 with ART has over the S5 is that it will accept software updates, on the S5 if you try to get software updates with ART you will get a tampered system error message and must go back to Dalvik.

Shaqq

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 17, 2014
Unless you have apps that require Dalvik, then there is no negative switching to ART. Its the future of Android and its worth using if all your apps support it.

It also reduces memory usuage, however this is not an issue on the M8 as its very memory efficient. I noticed more saving benefit on the Galaxy S5 because it naturally is bit of a memory hog, so amy saving there helped multitaksing on that device. The M8 doesnt have that issue so not much too noticeable savinh advantage on either Dalvik or Art.

One benefit the M8 with ART has over the S5 is that it will accept software updates, on the S5 if you try to get software updates with ART you will get a tampered system error message and must go back to Dalvik.

Oh ok because I switched to ART and put all transactions to. 5x and I like how it feels so far even tho it was already smooth.

Enigmatic

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2008

Shaqq

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 17, 2014
I really miss IOS and I love the new features of IOS 8. I think I might trade for a 5s but I'm not sure yet.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I really miss IOS and I love the new features of IOS 8. I think I might trade for a 5s but I'm not sure yet.

You tried it. If iOS does it more for you then trade, alternatively wait till the iPhone 6 is released and sell your M8 then and put the money towards a new iPhone.

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012

If you can trade it with no money i would do it now, you will have better re sale on the 5S if you want the 6 later. The M8 new price has already dropped nearly $200 here. I sold my M8 a month old for more than what a new one is going for now.

Shaqq

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 17, 2014
I decided I'm going to keep my M8 until the iPhone 6 comes out.

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012
So I ended up going back to iOS ...

So did i. My M8 was a lot easier to sell than a S5. Only dropped $100 on it, to sell the S5 now would be dropping $300. So many people getting them on contract and not liking them, and off loading on ebay.

Last edited:

Shaqq

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 17, 2014
So did i. My M8 was a lot easier to sell than a S5. Only dropped $100 on it, to sell the S5 now would be dropping $300. So many people getting them on contract and not liking them, and off loading on ebay.

Yea the S5 prices went down a lot everywhere like on Craigslist and stuff like that because it wasn't that good this year.. Did you like the M8? I loved the M8 best android phone by far. I just really missed iOS and the 5s.

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012
Yea the S5 prices went down a lot everywhere like on Craigslist and stuff like that because it wasn't that good this year.. Did you like the M8? I loved the M8 best android phone by far. I just really missed iOS and the 5s.

There was a few things i didn't like but not going down that road again. I actually like the S5 better. Keeping it for now for my private phone. I missed the syncing between my mac and iPads, especially with email. M8 didn't like my mac, S5 will sync with iPhoto and android transfer works good.

Not to worry it was worth a try:)

infamous84

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2010
I am on Sense, but use Nova Launcher to tweak the look of the phone, I go back and forth between a stock Nexus icon pack / wallpaper look here;

[url=http://i644.photobucket.com/albums/uu165/Darthdingo/1_zps5f0ec72f.png]Image[/URL]

And a custom icon pack theme here;

[url=http://i644.photobucket.com/albums/uu165/Darthdingo/Sensehome_zpsf0bdb4ba.png]Image[/URL]

how did you set this up as the home screen?

thanks

----------

is that your main homescreen?

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
There was a few things i didn't like but not going down that road again. I actually like the S5 better. Keeping it for now for my private phone. I missed the syncing between my mac and iPads, especially with email. M8 didn't like my mac, S5 will sync with iPhoto and android transfer works good.

Not to worry it was worth a try:)

Andorid transfer didn't work well with the M8?

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
The fix is you have to restart the mac while the phone is plugged in to get it to work.

I am not sure about that....I use my M8 on my iMac and sync iTunes playlists and music. ATF works great....but it will error out if another program is trying to access the phone at the same time as ATF. I use iSyncr to sync with iTunes....I have to stop it and then plug my phone back in then ATF works.....
They have the troubleshooting steps if you google it.....

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012
I am not sure about that....I use my M8 on my iMac and sync iTunes playlists and music. ATF works great....but it will error out if another program is trying to access the phone at the same time as ATF. I use iSyncr to sync with iTunes....I have to stop it and then plug my phone back in then ATF works.....
They have the troubleshooting steps if you google it.....

I read about it here.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc-one-m8/379987-htc-one-m8-does-not-connect-htc-sync-mac.html

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I read these below but none say reboot as the answer...but oh well whatever works. Thats a little overkill....For me I toggle USB debugging...unplug plug in....toggle MTP...exit any apps that are using the phone.

http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-note-lte/535116-android-file-transfer-mac.html

This about USB debugging

http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon-galaxy-nexus-rooting-roms-hacks/179746-now-android-file-trasfer-unable-connect-phone-mac.html

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.