Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
I've been searching online racking my brain. My dad's the kind of guy that doesn't really need anything and the days of frivolous ties and random grilling equipment are considered to be more of unthoughtful, last minute gifts.

A card is in order and I prefer something like what I've attached in this thread as oppose to the babble sold at Target or Walmart.

As for a gift itself, I'm resorting on taking him out to dinner and/or maybe including a gift card, but boy does that seem distant in my opinion. I want something unique, but not too expensive. I'm outta college but not yet a 'thousandairre'

Gifts from the heart are what counts and truly that's the direction I'd rather lean towards. He's busy working all the time I feel an electronic wouldn't be used much at home, nor would something sporty... Again, cause he works all the time.

Luckily at the time of this post it's Saturday night, which gives me time (considering there's no mail service tomorrow) to decide on what card to order via Etsy.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 146

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
You've left home. That's the greatest gift a father can wish for.

You probably meant that in jest, but in all seriousness, my job as a father is to get my kids to move out. In other words, raise them up with a good education, work ethic, morals and independence so they're able to be on their own :D

To answer the OP,
My kids are younger so they tend to make more personal things and to be honest, those are the most heartwarming. I'd much rather get a home made card and picture from my daughters then a gift card. My point is do something personal, even if that's just spending some time doing something different with your dad.

crzdcolombian

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
My dad needed a new stove and a new weed waker. I am getting him both at lowes.

He wants an iPhone but he will have to wait till September for the iPhone 6. Its around his birthday :D

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
I like the idea of a meaningful book or a bottle of whiskey if he's a drinker. Although I do think you'd be best off taking him out somewhere, such as a show and/or dinner.

briannaharbor

macrumors member
May 22, 2014
I like the idea of a meaningful book or a bottle of whiskey if he's a drinker. Although I do think you'd be best off taking him out somewhere, such as a show and/or dinner.

Make sure if you do that, take him out on Monday. Everywhere will be packed on Sunday. My dad and I do that every year, same as on Mother's day.

caseycicada

macrumors member
May 27, 2014
I make him a big cake, and take it over, and we all eat at least two slices after dinner and drink coffee. As for gifts, I usually will give him an amazon giftcard. He buys tons of books from there.

But cake and coffee is my annual gift :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.