Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Facebook today launched a new app called Slingshot, which is designed to compete with popular ephemeral messaging app Snapchat. A video and photo messaging app, Slingshot allows users to send media to friends, who are unable to view it until they share something back.

Shots taken with the camera can be edited with captions and doodles, and then sent to multiple friends or a single friend. Slingshot requires a phone number to sign up, but it does not force users to sign up with or use Facebook. When a message is received, it is "locked" until a user sends a shot of their own, a feature Facebook hopes will encourage more active sharing.

facebookslingshot.jpg
Slingshot lets you quickly share moments--little and big--with lots of people at once. Shoot a photo or video of what you're up to and sling it to a bunch of friends. They won't be able to see your shot until they sling something back. Tap on a shot to react, or simply swipe it away.
As with Snapchat, pictures and videos are deleted shortly after they are viewed, though the app does allow users to take screenshots of content.

Slingshot is not Facebook's first attempt at a Snapchat competitor. Back in 2012, while Snapchat was still in its infancy, Facebook company introduced Poke, allowing users to send ephemeral messages. The unsuccessful app was removed from the App Store in May 2014.

Slingshot was initially released and then pulled earlier this month by mistake, but it is now officially available from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Facebook Launches New 'Slingshot' Messaging App

cariacou

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
When a message is received, it is "locked" until a user sends a shot of their own, a feature Facebook hopes will encourage more active sharing.

shooting themselves on the foot...

After two days, 75% of the pictures will be useless ones sent to be able to view your friend's useless one he sent to view your previous picture...

chelsel

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2007
yeah

>pictures and videos are deleted shortly after they are viewed

Sure they are ;-)

r-m

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2010
What a load of crap!
So user A sends a picture.
User B sends just a blank picture with their finger on the lens, just so they can see user A's picture.
User A then sends a blank picture too, just to see what User B replied with - a blank picture. Then both users stop using the app because it's just a never ending stream of blank pictures!

joejoejoe

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2006
So it's impossible to have a back and forth conversation.

This feels like it was made to swap nudes and nothing else.

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2011
USA
HAHA...this has fail written all over it.

Seriously, so, if someone sends me a picture, I HAVE to send something first before I can even view it. Then, the receiver HAS to send something again just to see what I just sent to view their original submission. When does it stop?

r-m

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2010
..... When does it stop?

I think that's their point.. They want people to keep using it. But people will get bored of having to share something just to see slmethjng, and it becomes just shots of desktops or floors or jeans etc. Then it crashes and burns lol

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
This app is likely listed on a whiteboard at Facebook HQ under the following heading:

"Projects created just for the hell of it to see if they're successful"

g-7

macrumors 6502
Feb 14, 2006
Poland
Why is it available only in the U.S.?
As well as "Paper"...

Maybe because they have reached an agreement with the US Government to record all the data and send it to them? As soon as they sign a similar secret agreement with the government of your country, the app will be available there as well. :D :D :D

Or, it's a kind of "No [Blacks/Whites/Jews/Non-Americans/Whatevers/etc.] Allowed" kind of thinking, disguised and hidden behind some legal mumbo-jumbo. I'm sure they will give a meaningful and deep answer. Such as "That's our policy". Or "We're hoping to bring [app's name] to every possible country".

Or maybe they just don't have enough resources to make it available worldwide, it's a small company after all! No, wait... :)

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
So many pitch-black photos will be shared just to see what the original post was.

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
So it's impossible to have a back and forth conversation.

This feels like it was made to swap nudes and nothing else.

Agreed. I can't think of a use for this other than progressively revealing flirting. Dating apparently is rather silly in Silicon Valley.

Identity Fraud

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2009
Meh.

I'll never understand the value of fracturing functions between apps that could be done all in one.

http://techcrunch.com/2014/04/09/facebook-messenger-or-the-highway/

Facebook>>Messenger>>Poke>>SlingShot

I know poke is dead but what the hell? There's no need to have several separate apps taking up memory and home page space that could be rolled into one app. I have the same issue with the removal of 'iPod' app and how Podcast is it's own app, iTunes is it's own app and it's looking like Radio might be it's own app at some point. How does that make it easy? It creates clutter and fluff.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
HAHA...this has fail written all over it.

Seriously, so, if someone sends me a picture, I HAVE to send something first before I can even view it. Then, the receiver HAS to send something again just to see what I just sent to view their original submission. When does it stop?

It doesn't, and that's the point.

It sounds like a neat concept to me, potentially more interesting than SnapChat.

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
I'd wind up with a ton of unseen pictures. It really is like 1984 with big brother influencing your behavior patterns.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
how r u even supposed to respond properly if you dont even know what ur friend sent u first.

worst case scenario:

friend sends a picture after nearly dying in a car accident

i dont see the picture so i response with a yolo party pic

friends gonna be like .... rude

djtech42

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2012
Mason, OH
Meh.

I'll never understand the value of fracturing functions between apps that could be done all in one.

http://techcrunch.com/2014/04/09/facebook-messenger-or-the-highway/

Facebook>>Messenger>>Poke>>SlingShot

I know poke is dead but what the hell? There's no need to have several separate apps taking up memory and home page space that could be rolled into one app. I have the same issue with the removal of 'iPod' app and how Podcast is it's own app, iTunes is it's own app and it's looking like Radio might be it's own app at some point. How does that make it easy? It creates clutter and fluff.

I agree completely. I think that these companies fracture functions into new apps to bring attention back to them, making it seem like they are doing something new. It's just a marketing tactic.

iOSaddict

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2014
Awesome! Have been awaiting this app because I deleted Snapchat. Don't want to support a company that is run by a huge douchebag. Now Facebook make this ***** international. :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.