Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
Just noticed this too. (I actually came to look because I thought that updates would appear a bit before Thursday as rumored.) We'll see very soon.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Yeah, store has been down for well over an hour now.

Yea it has been down for nearly 2 hours, i went to look on the Apple store and it was down, that was about 8:30am UK time. It would be nice for them to update more than just the iMac's but i fear that may be wishful thinking.

clover313

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2014
Yea it has been down for nearly 2 hours, i went to look on the Apple store and it was down, that was about 8:30am UK time. It would be nice for them to update more than just the iMac's but i fear that may be wishful thinking.

same here...hope they update more products but i don't think that is going to happen....it's 8:45 pm wednesday here in New Zealand...i have been waiting for an imac since march hope they update it....finger cross...:)

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
same here...hope they update more products but i don't think that is going to happen....it's 8:45 pm wednesday here in New Zealand...i have been waiting for an imac since march hope they update it....finger cross...:)

I brought the new iMac when they first announced it in 2012 so i'm not in the market for one, thats why i hope they update more products :)

Sym0

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2013
I guess it is safe to assume at some point, either this refresh, or the forthcoming major refresh with Retina displays, that the iMac will become even thinner. Yes, it really doesn't matter how thick it is, but I am sure once they move to 'all-flash' and ditch the magnetic drive, they'll be able to shave off that bubble at the centre/rear of the machine. No?

Power supply? The only reason MacBooks are so thin despite the screen being hinged separately is the power supply is external.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
Apple store is down people! Panic

panic-attack-o.gif

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
They've extended the downtime for another hour (7 am central time). Must be the new iPods. :)

Beardy man

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2007
3..2..1.. aaand we're back in the room.

Just saved £100 by waiting a week. Happy with today's announcement.:)

Mago

macrumors 68030
Aug 16, 2011
Beyond the Thunderdome
That may be true. Apple is usually a bit more conservative with the Macs, although I don't know how much of a custom panel that is. When it comes to the imacs, they're generally very conservative. Just changing to a laminated panel led to further price drift, presumably to maintain a specific range on margins. Using a custom resolution at that size would presumably be much more costly, although it could come down. You also seem to ignore the point I was making. 4K is a standard resolution. You could implement that as doubled pixels on a 27", assuming they stick with that size. The suggestion of 5K means maintaining an identical scale and doubling from what they currently use. What they currently use is their implementation of a completely generic panel. What is being proposed is presumably something completely custom, as it's not such a common resolution.

Curreny 21.5" iMac is 2K Panel, 27" is 3K Panel, rumoured not to double (4K/6K) but to step up, so When introduced late this year the new iMac will be at 3K on 21,5" and 5K at 27-28", Apple can order custom Resolution Panels as soon the technololgy is ready, coz they have enough purchase power to ensure volum production and optimal production cost, so yes Apple can doit.

And is not as crazy as now ther are few WinCrap Laptops with 3K and 4K panels under 15.6", and Samsung just launched an 8.4" Tablet with 3K Resolution...

What is delaying the new iMac is Intel, Apple Need the Broadwell power and efficiency to Drive they new Beast, all other parts are available today (on volume you can get every thing)

driftless

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2011
Chicago-area
It's up and they did add a very low cost, $1,099 USD, iMac. All other models, at least for now, maintain their current specs and pricing.

FrozenDarkness

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2009
lame, wtf is apple thinking, no updated processors like mba? no updated graphics?

probably means that we should expect a bigger bump

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Curreny 21.5" iMac is 2K Panel, 27" is 3K Panel, rumoured not to double (4K/6K) but to step up, so When introduced late this year the new iMac will be at 3K on 21,5" and 5K at 27-28", Apple can order custom Resolution Panels as soon the technololgy is ready, coz they have enough purchase power to ensure volum production and optimal production cost, so yes Apple can doit.

And is not as crazy as now ther are few WinCrap Laptops with 3K and 4K panels under 15.6", and Samsung just launched an 8.4" Tablet with 3K Resolution...

What is delaying the new iMac is Intel, Apple Need the Broadwell power and efficiency to Drive they new Beast, all other parts are available today (on volume you can get every thing)

There is no such thing as 2K and 3K when it comes to panels. I let the 5K slide, but you are making up specifications. The panel used in the 27" is one of two resolutions generally found at the 27" size. The lower cost ones are 1080, all of which use panels that are designed with televisions in mind. The others are all 2560 x 1440. If you look at how that came about, LG used to make a 16:10 25.5" that was commonly marketed as 26" and a 24" 16:10 at 1920x1200. The 24" stayed around, and the 27" was similar in height to the 25.5" type. It was close (or identical, I would have to check) in height but wider with a 16:9 aspect ratio. The reason I pointed out 4K was that one of the two resolution specs that works for 27" is 1920 x 1080. Each dimension is half of what people refer to as 4K. In the end it's a matter of what LG will produce, because they don't sell enough to go fully customized on that. I don't think you realize how expensive that would be even for a few million imacs.

Just take a look at the price drift if you don't believe me. When they customized the panel lamination in 2012, the price jumped $100. They also went to integrated graphics last year, but I would call that a push. The entry model was using a very cheap discrete gpu. Now it lacks that, but the cpu that costs a bit more. You're also out of your mind if you expect that in the current year.

clover313

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2014
Will there be a update on the imac maybe in September or October because they only add the lower cost imac...I don't mind the retina display but maybe a new processor etc..

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
Sucks yes, low cost no, faster no, nothing new, mediocre announcement:
http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2014/06/18Apple-Introduces-New-Entry-Level-21-5-inch-iMac.html

clover313

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2014
there is a price drop on all of the imacs in New Zealand that is good...i saved around 350 with student discount on the 21.5 inch: 2.9GHz imac that is a huge saving for me...happy with that:)...........but there is no upgrade for the processor etc which is sad though...owell the imac is good enough for my use since i upgraded to intel core i7, 16gb ram,1TB fusion drive....my first imac or :apple:product will be coming soon........super excited.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.