Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ABCDEF-Hex

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2013
NC
They have this refurbished for the same price:

Refurbished 21.5-inch iMac 2.7GHz quad-core Intel Core i5

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
The fact that none of the iMacs come standard with a SSD at this point is shocking. I would never buy or use a computer without one now.

enough said. If you are selling a premium product, by all means make it premium out of the gate!

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
Slow, overpriced, and dumb

I'm very surprised - this strikes me as nothing short of a terrible move. A dual core ULV iMac that is still on the wrong side of $1000?

Absurd.

And far too expensive for what it is.

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
I agree with Steve Jobs on this feature. It gives a great demo, but it's ergonomically terrible.

Also, I wouldn't enjoy wiping finger prints off my monitor all the time. Touching a monitor will not be faster than a mouse.

Exactly. Plus, getting a cursor from one side of a 27" screen to another requires minimal effort using a mouse/trackpad.

To drag an icon using your hand on a touchscreen would require actually moving your hand across the entire screen.

If touch screens had come first, people would view the mouse as an incredible labor-saving device.

littyboy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2009
Whoa dual-core + intel HD graphics? This is a joke right? Just looked at my calendar and I see that it is June. June fools? This is the same thing as Apple trying to sell the iPad 2 again.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
When will Apple release touchscreen iMacs?

When human anatomy changes and it becomes comfortable to work with your hands held out in front of you hovering in the air for hours.

I've seen touch screen desktops in action. They are rarely touched.

Actually, I think this could happen eventually. But it really will be at a point when the tech is super cheap and once every other piece of mobile glass out there is touch and so we start expecting everything to have touch. But I don't think it will ever be a primary input means just because of human anatomy. If one were to try to do touch screen desktop in a better form, you would put it on a steep slant like a drafting board on a desk.

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
I'm very surprised - this strikes me as nothing short of a terrible move. A dual core ULV iMac that is still on the wrong side of $1000?

Absurd.

And far too expensive for what it is.

That's psychological pricing for you. I hopped onto the UK site and couldn't believe that you could get an iMac for under £900.

krypticos

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2007
i think the price should be more around $899.

i mean for 200 bucks more you could get a quad core i5 with iris pro graphics.

At $899 i think this would be an amazing product. im sorry but i find this kind of a stupid product but this is just my 2 cents.

CausticPuppy

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2012
They put a MacBook Air (15W) CPU inside a desktop computer meant for 65W CPUs? Without making it thinner?

Hmmm, pretty weird. Would have been cheaper for them to go with a less efficient, more powerful chip.

On the plus side, it means that chip will be running at its max turbo boost frequency pretty much full time.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
5 hours downtime just to add a new product :confused:

It probably takes a long time because they have to redirect all the links (there are probably a lot), update images, update literature & test everything so that nothing broke in the process of the update.

jacobj

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2003
Jersey
Apple's method of securing lower income markets seems to be, take a high end device, leave the expensive design, casing, screen, etc in place and then rip out as much of the guts as possible so as to maintain margins. It's an awful comprimise between wanting a lower end market and being unwilling to actually design products from scratch that are specific to it for fear of seeming to lower the finish of the image.

We pay premiums for the fit and finish of Apple products because we are going for the higher end device and once there, are happy to pay the extra for the finish: thus securing form and function.

This is form and no function.

I hope this fails.

Apple, design something from scratch or stay out of the market. As this stands you are giving weight to the often cited criticism that "Apple is just overpriced parts in a slick body".

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
That's psychological pricing for you. I hopped onto the UK site and couldn't believe that you could get an iMac for under £900.

And it's still over $1000 ($1049) via educational or government pricing.

What a complete rip-off!

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
1.4 GHz in a desktop computer at this price?

Surely that's a typo...

Just checked Apple's store and it says the same thing.

1.4 GHz for $1099 or 2.7 GHz for $1299. They're the same line of CPU, so it's an apples to apples comparison. For an 18% increase in price, you double the CPU and the storage capacity. The GPU also changes, but it changes lines entirely so there's no easy way to say how much better one is than the other.

The 1.4 Ghz iMac is most likely using the exact same Core i5-4260U CPU as the 2014 MacBook Air. This is actually one of the latest Intel ULV chips, which integrates the GPU onto the same die as the CPU.

OK, it is not as fast as a a quad-core desktop chip, but definitely not 2x slower as the "1.4 Ghz" would suggest.

In fact, on single-core GeekBench the difference in performance is only 15% or so. It's only the multicore benchmarks which show a ~2x difference, which is entirely accounted for by the fact that its a dual-core and not a quad-core.

Basically, Mhz/Ghz is pretty meaningless these days as a performance measure.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
When humans get cybernetic assistance so that arms do not get tired when held out in front for long periods?

Touch screens on a desktop OS are an edge case use for short periods.

When scientists genetically engineer us with ultra high endurance forearm muscles.

When human anatomy changes and it becomes comfortable to work with your hands held out in front of you hovering in the air for hours.
Yeah, guys. Because they will come into your home and remove mice and keyboards at gunpoint.

I've seen touch screen desktops in action. They are rarely touched.
Oh, you mean it's an optional input mechanism that is used at appropriate times only? That must be too hard for some to conjure.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Damn. Was really hoping for a sub $1000 price point.

Same here. Not that I am in the market for one, but it would've been nice to see Apple pushing some more aggressive pricing on it's desktop line. We are still talking about the best looking and performing AIO hands down, unless you start brining in the HP Z2. A starting price of $899 would have made it almost a no brainer even when comparing it to your run of the mill middle of the line PC.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
If I had to venture to guess, how many low end dual core desktop processors come with HD5000 graphics? Last I knew, most of the dual core desktops came with HD4600 or less. My guess is that is the lowest GPU that Apple feels is adequate. Thus, they had to use mobile processors. Why they used a ULV instead of a more "standard" offering, your guess is as good as mine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.