Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Adobe today announced that all of its Creative Cloud desktop apps, including Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Dreamweaver, Lightroom, Premiere Pro, and more, will receive updates that improve the efficiency of work flows and boost performance.

Photoshop CC, for example, will gain new Blur Gallery motion effects for creating a sense of motion, a Focus Mask for selecting focus areas and highlighting portrait shots with a shallow depth of field, new Content Aware capabilities, and a new Perspective Warp for adjusting the perspective of a specific part of an image.

The update also includes enhanced Mercury Graphics Engine performance, the ability to link Smart Objects to be shared across multiple documents, and improved Layer Comps.

Illustrator CC gains Live Shapes to transform rectangles into complex shapes and back, while in InDesign CC it's now possible to select table rows and columns and use the EPUB fixed layout to create digital books.

adobeccupdate.jpg
Adobe's video apps now include Live Text Templates and Masking and Tracking, with Premiere Pro CC gaining enhanced graphics performance. After Effects now includes new keying effects, while SpeedGrade CC has a more flexible Direct Link color pipeline and Audition has enhanced multi-track tools.

Along with updates to all of its Creative Cloud apps, Adobe is expanding Creative Cloud profiles to improve the connectivity between mobile and desktop apps. Profiles will include stored files, photos, fonts, and preferences, which can be accessed on both desktop and mobile apps, allowing files to be seamlessly shared between apps.
The new CC desktop apps, mobile apps, and hardware are tightly integrated through Creative Cloud services. This integration helps liberate the creative process by enabling users to access and manage everything that makes up their creative profile -- their files, photos, fonts, colors, community and more -- from wherever they work.
Adobe today also introduced both a new suite of mobile apps designed with its new SDK and two new tools, the Adobe Ink and the Adobe Slide, detailed in a separate post.

Adobe's new Creative Cloud updates are available to Creative Cloud subscribers for free. Adobe offers individual Creative Cloud memberships starting at $49.99 per month for new customers, $29.99 per month for existing CS customers, and $19.99 for students. Adobe has also announced plans to make its $9.99/month Photography bundle, with access to Photoshop CC and Lightroom 5, permanent and available to all users, and the company is debuting expanded offerings for education and enterprise.

Article Link: Adobe Announces Creative Cloud Updates, Expanded Creative Profile

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Minor frills added, maybe bigger things for only a very small number of users... while bugs remain, along with security breaches, Adobe's insane system-intrusive installer system and their bloated 2000-era UIs.

Endless slow feature creep is not the solution to make me happy I can't own my own creative works: if I stop paying every month, I can't even VIEW all of my files, much less edit them.

I wouldn't like the subscription model even if the products were as well-made as they once were... but they're not. And we pay month after month, whether any improvements happen that actually matter to us or not. Updates used to be optional: is this version worth my money or not? But now... updates are pretty much optional for Adobe! They need not bother with improving much, as long as they remain an expected industry "standard."

I pay $50 a month and I ask myself, what am I getting that my old fully-owned copy of CS3 wouldn't do for me? 99% of the answer is: I'm getting file compatibility with other people who subscribe to CC. That's about it.

Artists want to feel they are paying for terrific, empowering tools, not "cost of doing business." The latter IS worth it for pros... but worth it in the wrong way.

Oh, well, no escape for now. But one day....

Last edited:

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
Hmm, the photography bundle being $9.99 permanently makes it actually interesting. I already own CS5 and bought Lightroom 5 outright though...so still not quite enticing enough. The main reason I would upgrade is for retina display support at this point.

spacemanspifff

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2010
SPACE
I have CS6 - so this "update" does not matter to me. If Adobe continue with this ill concieved subscription model for their software then CS6 is last version I will ever buy. To be honest I still use CS5 for my daily work! I supply all my print ready files as PDF these days so I don't need compatibility and I don't need to open other peoples files. While I can afford to pay Adobe every month, I am not going to.

verniesgarden

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2007
Saint Louis, Mo
I have CS6 - so this "update" does not matter to me. If Adobe continue with this ill concieved subscription model for their software then CS6 is last version I will ever buy. To be honest I still use CS5 for my daily work! I supply all my print ready files as PDF these days so I don't need compatibility and I don't need to open other peoples files. While I can afford to pay Adobe every month, I am not going to.

how is it ill conceived?
they made it more affordable to have the newest version

4God

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2005
My Mac
When will the new versions be available for download? My CC App says everything is up to date but I don't have these new updates yet.

Beardy man

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2007
how is it ill conceived?
they made it more affordable to have the newest version

Maybe in the short term, but long term they've locked you into a system you can't back out of - whatever the future costs.

How about in a few years time you don't like the 'new' subscription charges? If you opt out you don't get to play with all the new toys. Fair enough. What isn't so good is that you don't get to play with the old tools either, or access any of your old work. (Unless it's possible to open, say, native InDesign CC files in CS6? - It isn't possible to open CS6 ID files in CS5)

To be honest I don't think the current subscription is too bad but I'm not prepared to sign my future self up to whatever they choose to do. This is like going back to the old days with Quark - the reason InDesign got traction in the first place.

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
When will the new versions be available for download? My CC App says everything is up to date but I don't have these new updates yet.

Should be pretty soon. As I understand it, they're trying to roll out everything ahead of an event they're hosting in NYC.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
For Photoshop, linked smart objects, perspective warp and blur masks are not new, they've been around for months.

edgonzalez32

Suspended
Jul 21, 2011

Glad to see this update doesn't matter to you. Good for you! Move along then!

FutureTechHope

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2010
Minor frills added, maybe bigger things for only a very small number of users... while bugs remain, along with security breaches, Adobe's insane system-intrusive installer system and their bloated 2000-era UIs.

Endless slow feature creep is not the solution to make me happy I can't own my own creative works: if I stop paying every month, I can't even VIEW all of my files, much less edit them.

"while bugs remain, along with security breaches, Adobe's insane system-intrusive installer system and their bloated 2000-era UIs."

Adobe really needs to address this.

----------

No Mac Pro optimization for After Effects? Harrumph.

I hope they have an update for this soon.

c.s.

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2007
I pay $50 a month and I ask myself, what am I getting that my old fully-owned copy of CS3 wouldn't do for me?

Exactly why I'm sticking with CS6 as long as possible. There are a few features that are nice to have over CS3, but I could still run my business with CS3 – a piece of software that was released 7 years ago. I figure I can use CS6 another 5-6 years as a full-time graphic designer. It's just a tool. If it works for you, it works. No need to pay $50/month just for the feeling of being up to date.

cyberlocke

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2009
Shared Storage

What I'd really like to see is shared storage for Creative Cloud for Teams! Anyone?

Renzatic

Suspended
"while bugs remain, along with security breaches, Adobe's insane system-intrusive installer system and their bloated 2000-era UIs."

Adobe really needs to address this.

They did address the insane system-intrusive installer system with AdobeCC. I hated installing PS beforehand. It was sloppy, cumbersome, and installed all kinds of things I didn't want.

Adobe CC? You get the cloud app, log into it, click "Photoshop", and it downloads Photoshop. It's about as simple and straightforward as can be.

As for their bloated 2000's era UI...yeah, I could see that PS could use some streamlining. But if they change anything too severely, it'll end up being like Office before and after the Ribbon. They could give you something that's a thousand times better, but with so many people being so used to the way things are set up now, they'd instantly hate it, and go running around the internet wailing, screaming, and gnashing their teeth about how it's literally the worst thing ever made.

...which would be bad publicity. But then again, there's nothing else out there that matches the Creative Suite, so they could probably do whatever they want, and all we could do is grumble, complain, and take it.

Pafoofnik

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2014
Adobe Lost Me Just Like Kelby Is Going To Lose Me

Adobe and their software had become a part of me for years until they started the CC nonsense. I can see renting an apartment or a car--maybe even bowling shoes...but software? No.

I run CS6 and it's as far as I go with Adobe. They lost me for good when they did a recent Lightroom upgrade for version 5.4, not even a part of CS6. I own LR 5.4 outright. It was identical to LR CC 5.4. Adobe chose to give only the CC renters that upgrade, even though I outright purchased my copy of the program. They won't even upgrade Camera Raw for CS6 owners so both versions are the same.

Fine. I switched. I replaced LR with Capture One Pro 7 by Phase One. I'll use CS6 for other digital chores.

Scott Kelby will lose me for similar reasons when my subscription runs out. I joined a professional fraternity called NAPP. For some ill-conceived reason, Scott destroyed NAPP and created something called KelbyOne. The entire focus of the business is now trying to become a third-rate lynda.com instead of being an organization focused on professionals.

In both cases it's, "Let's take a good thing and ruin it."

P.S. On second thought, I don't think I'd rent the aforementioned bowling shoes.

Last edited:

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
They did address the insane system-intrusive installer system with AdobeCC. I hated installing PS beforehand. It was sloppy, cumbersome, and installed all kinds of things I didn't want.

Adobe CC? You get the cloud app, log into it, click "Photoshop", and it downloads Photoshop. It's about as simple and straightforward as can be.

I installed CC last week on a new Mac, and it wasn't so straightforward. Russian roulette, I guess! Multiple steps, web sites to visit, multiple failures, and yes, extras I don't want installed non-optionally. Depends which CC apps you use, probably.

The updater system is the more intrusive, though; I should have said "installer/updater system." Installing you do once... the other stuff is forever! (Really? A default menu bar icon? And then a totally bizarre method for converting between that and a "real" window? And a badge pestering you to update, when pros ought to be more conservative and wait a while? Get that thing out of my menu!)

Then there's the fun if you want to truly UNinstall...

Renzatic

Suspended
I installed CC last week on a new Mac, and it wasn't so straightforward. Russian roulette, I guess! Multiple steps, web sites to visit, multiple failures, and yes, extras I don't want installed non-optionally. Depends which CC apps you use, probably.

Yup. I subscribed for the PS/Lightroom deal, and only use PS regularly. My setup is considerably less intensive than someone who uses a goodly chunk of the suite, and thus less likely to flake out and cause issues.

My experiences with it have been buttery smooth. It updates nicely, and never complains. But I can't say my experiences will be universal.

The updater system is the more intrusive, though; I should have said "installer/updater system." Installing you do once... the other stuff is forever! (Really? A default menu bar icon? And then a totally bizarre method for converting between that and a "real" window? And a badge pestering you to update, when pros ought to be more conservative and wait a while? Get that thing out of my menu!)

There shouldn't be too many issues for conservative pros who need to make sure an update works before committing to it. You can turn off the CC updater entirely, and still access your programs. You'll have to log into it once a month to verify your account, but even then, you won't have to worry about having an update forced down your throat, since they're all opt-in rather than mandatory.

Overall, I'm of two opinions over Creative Cloud. There are definite advantages to software subscriptions. Lower cost of entry, perpetual feature upgrades, cloud storage, and a number of other perks. But the fact you can't access your files if you cancel your sub, and there's nothing stopping Adobe from jacking the price up once they've got a bunch of people locked in does give me pause. I've liked it thus far, but I've been eyeing Pixelmator as a potential replacement for when I jump over to OSX this September.

H.Finch

Cancelled
Jun 9, 2013
I have CS6 - so this "update" does not matter to me...

I agree with you. The only 'but' I feel is that CS6 probably isn't ready for or updated for Retina screens... I dont know, maybe someone can tell me. I'm still waiting for a retina cinema or imac and I'd like my adobe software to look great on that. Other than that I'd not very interested in renting my software either...

jpu

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2014

Then there's the fun if you want to truly UNinstall...

Yeah, I know right. Opening the folder containing all the uninstallers and making sure "Remove Prefrences" is checked is boatloads of fun.

SoAnyway

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2011
I'm still not sold on the leasing model so no thanks Adobe, I'm perfectly happy with CS6 for the foreseeable future.

TheBuffather

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2009
Orlando, FL
Just a nice little warning to all: if you use any extensions, like the Subtle Patterns extension, check their website/blog to ensure compatibility. The entire extension framework has changed from Flex to HTML5.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
I'm worried that they are calling this update "2014"

Are they going to a strict yearly release model?

They've had a couple updates a year over the past two years.

EDIT:

And it looks like they are installing the CC 2014 version alongside the original CC version.

I see:

Photoshop CC
Photoshop CC 2014
After Effects CC
After Effects CC 2014

Is anyone else noticing this?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.