Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacBookWhooo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 15, 2014
Philippines
Good day everyone. I’ve been experiencing a lot of issues with OS X Mavericks a few weeks after I bought my first Mac last April. Below are the issues that I am experiencing with it:

This happens randomly. I have no idea why the icon shows I am not connected even though I am.

yi6x.png

I don’t know if this is the arrangement of the default Safari bookmarks. I hope it isn’t because of the app, SafariSort that arranged my bookmarks alphabetically. If you have the unmodified version of the following bookmarks in the bookmarks bar, kindly send me a screenshot of it or export the bookmarks bar for me, please :) Thanks.

vhgb.png

Happens randomly. I have no idea what happened with the thumbnails.

vjhg.png

Whenever I download something, the progress bar does not disappear. It happens randomly.

f3k3.png

For this feature of OS X hence the “Gatekeeper”, you have the option to “allow” the apps that needs to be manually allowed right? Well, what if you don’t want that specific app to be inside the “allowed” list. How can you remove that app?

vq6h.png

Another thing. Happens randomly. I have no idea why there are no icons.

kqt0.png

I actually talked to Apple Chat Support and they keep on blaming the third-party apps. It seems they just want me to use applications designed by Apple. As far as I can remember, I was asking them how to reset the OS X Firewall. I want all of the automatically approved apps to be deleted after I decided to turn off the firewall. They just wanted me to delete “/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration” which I did. After restarting the computer, nothing happened. I told them that I found a solution myself, using the Terminal. I used the following commands, “sudo rm /Library/Preferences/com.apple.alf.plist” and “sudo ipfw flush”. Both worked great!

Now another silly observation. You see any Window under OS X whenever you resize it or move it, the OS saves it. For example, what if I accidentally moved the System Preferences window then I wanted it back to the center of the screen. The default position. How will I be able to do that? Surprisingly, I received the same solution. Delete the “/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration”. It’s the same thing. After restarting it, nothing happened. I said, well I actually found a solution that always work. That is to delete the “plist” file(s). I just went to “~/Library/Preferences” and deleted “com.apple.systempreferences.plist”. Without restarting the computer, I relaunched System Preferences. As usual, it worked! Apple Chat Support kept on telling me not to mess with the “plist” files because something bad will happen, or something will be corrupted etc.

Moving forward, they told me that the reason why I am experiencing weird issues like missing icons and the stuff that I told them about is because my Home folder’s permission needs to be refreshed. So, I went to my Macintosh HD drive, navigated to Users, right-clicked my name and selected Get info. Then under Sharing and Permissions, I clicked on the lock to unlock it, clicked on the gear icon and selected “Apply to enclosed items”. I was advised to restart my computer. After a while, nothing happened.

I have no idea why we didn’t do this http://www.macissues.com/2014/04/11/how-to-fix-home-folder-permissions-in-os-x/

They strongly suggested to do a fresh and clean installation of OS X Mavericks. So I guess that’s what I’ll be doing then. Although, I’m having issues backing up my files. I have a lot of applications. I asked Apple Chat Support if it is possible to export a list of installed apps so that I wouldn’t be forgetting the applications that are installed before I reformat my computer. So, they gave me a fool-proof solution. Just go to the System Report app. Great! I only saw applications by Apple. They said it is not possible for third-party apps. I was thinking of taking a screenshot of the Launchpad. Each pages of it. I don’t know. Any other solutions?

What do you guys think?

jlsm511

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2008
KMIA
Did you try booting into the recovery partition and repairing the disk and disk permissions?

romesk90

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2014
It is funny how apple blames third party software for the icon load issue.

I had the exact same issue, apple blamed third party apps. So, what did I do? I used the computer after a fresh wipe and used only apple software for a few weeks. Slowly, the icon issue came back and I never once installed a single application.

Apple still did nothing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.