Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AstronomyiPhone

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2013
Maryland
Whew- that's good: I read the headline and thought that T-Mobile had unveiled a new tier for their JUMP! plan: upgrade your phone every week!

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
This isn't a good thing. Carriers should not be in charge of what gets to be "free" because those services get a tremendous advantage.

RIP net neutrality.

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
Nice idea. Back in March I tried the tmobile $30 plan on my old iPhone 4s and was not impressed. Had decent coverage around home, but when I took it on a trip to Palm Springs it was very spotty on the drive and while I was there. Now the 4s does not have LTE and that is the area they are improving. Might be worth a test drive again when all my phones are LTE.

I would try again down the road with a LTE device. T-Mobile hopes to have half of their rural Edge network upgraded to LTE by the end of the year with a majority of it done mid next year.

For some of those rural sites (outside of some that are cost prohibitive to run backhaul to) they will be going right to LTE and not using 3G - so a 4s wouldn't be able to pick up on those improvements.

cowbellallen

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2007
Wow, T-Mobile is really stepping up it's game. This is a fantastic example of a company taking on the customer's risk in order to get more customers.

It's going to work very well for them. Nice to see a company make big changes like this in the name of competition.

31 Flavas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2011
This isn't a good thing. Carriers should not be in charge of what gets to be "free" because those services get a tremendous advantage.

RIP net neutrality.
If you want unlimited high speed data, pay for an unlimited high speed data plan. Your speed of access to other content is not being limited or narrowed. All data is equal until you hit your high speed cap.

JPSaltzman

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2011
The only problem I have with this program is the $700 hold T-mobile puts on your credit/debit card. I can understand their reason for doing this, but a lot of people don't have that much money to just "put on hold" for at least one week -- probably more like one month before the "hold" is released and you have your $700 back.

I left T-mobile because of the poor reception in my neighborhood (I literally lived in a "dead zone" where any T-mobile phone would drop its call). I'd be interested in trying out their plan, but not with a temporary $700 ding on my credit card.

cowbellallen

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2007
I mean, I guess it's cool that you get free music streaming.....

... but is it not weird that T-Mobile is going through your usage to see what apps you're using?

horsebattery

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2013

RIP net neutrality.

The potential for problems depends on how they decide to take this. As it stands, they are subsidizing the costs entirely for services they've partnered with and allow other services to contact them and sign up. Assuming T-Mobile does not cherry-pick services, then this would be a boon to all of them, particularly the ones with low amounts of data (e.g. the free, 500MB tier).

It's a difficult position for them. On the one hand, T-Mobile (seemingly) is trying many different ways to entice customers to switch to them. Paying for their customer's data usage in my opinion is a great way, as I'm now more inclined to stream on-the-go. But they apparently cannot win because of the "slippery slope" argument many seem to be making.

[Edit] For the record, I'm for net neutrality, but also for selective priority based on type, so long as it is guaranteed that every user and content provider have equal access/footing in consuming/serving that content. That is why I support what T-Mobile is doing in this case, because they are not discriminating different types of streaming services; Pandora, Spotify, iTunes Radio, etc. all have equal opportunity in joining this plan.

I mean, I guess it's cool that you get free music streaming.....

... but is it not weird that T-Mobile is going through your usage to see what apps you're using?

More likely, they're creating exceptions based on the source of the traffic. It would not be dissimilar to how certain carriers discount speed testing applications from their customer's data usage.

Last edited:

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
Love seeing this. Game changing - good on you T-Mobile. How long until other carriers follow suit?

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
This would be amazing.. if I had T-Mobile around here. The free music streaming is awesome too. Hopefully Apple is giving them free iPhones so they can gain a bunch of iPhone subscribers, then Apple can buy them and start an iNetwork. Yeah, I know, not going to happen.. but I can wish. ;)

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
The potential for problems depends on how they decide to take this. As it stands, they are subsidizing the costs entirely for services they've partnered with and allow other services to contact them and sign up. Assuming T-Mobile does not cherry-pick services, then this would be a boon to all of them, particularly the ones with low amounts of data (e.g. the free, 500MB tier).

It's a difficult position for them. On the one hand, T-Mobile (seemingly) is trying many different ways to entice customers to switch to them. Paying for their customer's data usage in my opinion is a great way, as I'm now more inclined to stream on-the-go. But they apparently cannot win because of the "slippery slope" argument many seem to be making.

They stated in keynote, there is no business contract with music providers.

They want to do all eventually. Its manual and labor intensive to figure out all the various servers, mirrors and load balancing servers, protocols used etc and get whitelisted in their routers.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
If All data is equal until you hit your high speed cap.

But that's just it. All data is NOT equal. Again, T-Mobile is giving certain services an advantage over others precisely because data is so expensive. If Service A is "free" thanks to a carrier, new service B cannot compete unless the carrier also makes its data free. Carriers should NOT have that kind of power.

horsebattery

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2013
They stated in keynote, there is no business contract with music providers.

They want to do all eventually. Its manual and labor intensive to figure out all the various servers, mirrors and load balancing servers, protocols used etc and get whitelisted in their routers.

Right. Hence: "as it stands".

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
The only problem I have with this program is the $700 hold T-mobile puts on your credit/debit card. I can understand their reason for doing this, but a lot of people don't have that much money to just "put on hold" for at least one week -- probably more like one month before the "hold" is released and you have your $700 back.

I left T-mobile because of the poor reception in my neighborhood (I literally lived in a "dead zone" where any T-mobile phone would drop its call). I'd be interested in trying out their plan, but not with a temporary $700 ding on my credit card.

If you live that close to a maxed out credit card... :(
You got other worries.

djtech42

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2012
Mason, OH
This is a really good business move. Let people who doubt the coverage test out the network and see that it is better than what they were expecting.

horsebattery

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2013
But that's just it. All data is NOT equal. Again, T-Mobile is giving certain services an advantage over others precisely because data is so expensive. If Service A is "free" thanks to a carrier, new service B cannot compete unless the carrier also makes its data free. Carriers should NOT have that kind of power.

No. Data is expensive on other networks, which is why T-Mobile is hoping this will be another incentive for customers to switch. The point of their conference today was to put an emphasis on customer data utilization, and in this case, music.

CharlieBrandt09

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2012
Southern NJ
This is FANTASTIC. I am tired of paying VZW prices and I am intrigued by TMo to say the least. This is a win win for me. Already signed up to be notified when I can sign up for real. Smart move T Mobile, well done.

iHackPro

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2014
DFW, TX
Just signed up. Hope I get in on this, would love to get some real world experience with T-Mobile myself.

So much closer to dumping AT&T.

Fofer

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2002
Couple this with the free 200 MB of data per month, which works great for me on a tablet, as well as WiFi Calling working on T-Mobile's network on iOS 8 (and the iPhone 6, when it comes out) -- and you've got me VERY intrigued to check out T-Mobile as my new provider in a few months. I switched from AT&T to Verizon 2 years ago and finally have a smartphone that works reliably as a phone. But Verizon still doesn't let me talk and surf at the same time (over cellular, at least) and the bill's pretty high. If T-Mobile's network is good enough for me (hopefully a week is long enough to test in the places I roll most) then I may end up taking the leap after all.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
As a loyal AT&T customer since 2007, I thank T-Mobile greatly. They have done so much to change the carrier market which AT&T has followed in many cases.

I've saved money on my AT&T bill by a LOT, have better quality and value of service, and additional savings on new 2 year renewals. All of it was because of what T-Mobile has done.

Now if AT&T were to adopt free data for iTunes Radio and Pandora, I would be even more thrilled!

So while I am with AT&T still, I thank T-Mobile for everything they have done and continue to do to make my service even better. Kudos!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.