Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office today published several patent applications describing an iPhone-based system to collect and analyze data from wearable and other types of accessory sensors, reports AppleInsider. Under the system, the iPhone could then track the owner's activity and respond with appropriate notifications and changes in the device settings.

One patent application, "Method and apparatus for automatically setting alarms and notifications," describes a method of associating motion data with a set of alarms. In this described invention, the iPhone could detect whether a user is sleeping or awake and adjust the settings for features such as "Do Not Disturb," for example. These motion data points may be collected from a device that is worn by the user.

forstall_do_not_disturb.jpg
In a second patent application, "Method and apparatus for automatically repeating alarms and notifications in response to device motion", Apple proposes methods to control the timing of notifications that are delivered to an iPhone owner. In this invention, the iPhone can use sensor data to determine when a user is napping and can turn off all notifications until the owner is awake and moving again.

A final patent application, "Method and Apparatus For Personal Characterization Data Collection Using Sensors," describes how an iPhone-driven system could detect a user's activity level from "motion sensors, location sensors, ambient light sensors, and the like." This sensor-based data may be used to create a "personal scorecard" that compares your activity level to others in a group.
A processor-based personal electronic device (such as a smartphone) is programmed to automatically collect data sent by various sensors from which the user's activity may be inferred. One or more of the sensors may be worn by the user and remote from the device. A wireless communication link may be used by the device to obtain remote sensor data. In certain embodiments, data from on-board sensors in the device--such as motion sensors, location sensors, ambient light sensors, and the like--may also be used to deduce the user's current activity. In yet other embodiments, user data (such as calendar entries) may also be used to characterize the user's activty.
As with many patent applications, these inventions may or may not be incorporated into consumer-level products. In this case though, these methods align with Apple's rumored iWatch device, which is expected to ship with a variety of sensors to measure basic health and fitness parameters. Apple also recently announced a new Health app and HealthKit API that allows for the aggregation of health and fitness data from apps and wearable devices into a central repository that can provide an overview of a user's relative health.

Article Link: Apple Looks at Using Wearable Sensors to Auto-Adjust iPhone Notifications and Alarms

dauby88

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
This could be a great feature! If I wake up and am moving around (sensed from the iWatch) before my alarm goes off, don't ring my wake up alarm on my iPhone/iWatch.

Or keep ringing the alarm until you're up and moving around. Could lead to people shaking their wrist quite a bit to get the alarm to go off while still in bed...

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
This could be a great feature! If I wake up and am moving around (sensed from the iWatch) before my alarm goes off, don't ring my wake up alarm on my iPhone/iWatch.

Or keep ringing the alarm until you're up and moving around. Could lead to people shaking their wrist quite a bit to get the alarm to go off while still in bed...

Or it could get them to wake up.

bondsbw

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2006
How about silencing the phone when my calendar says I'm busy?

This was a feature in Windows Mobile back in the early 2000s! It was one of the main features I missed when I bought an iPhone and one of the main benefits I received when I switched to Android later.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Unless that wearable device is comfortable to wear I don't see many people sleeping with it on which defeats the purpose.

Go to sleep, take off your iwatch. iPhone detects no movement for 8 hours, thinks you are dead and dials 911 :p

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Would be funny if restless sleepers kept getting alerts—making them even more restless.

autrefois

macrumors 65816
In this described invention, the iPhone could detect whether a user is sleeping or awake and adjust the settings for features such as "Do Not Disturb" [...]

A final patent application, "Method and Apparatus For Personal Characterization Data Collection Using Sensors," describes how an iPhone-driven system could detect a user's activity level from "motion sensors, location sensors, ambient light sensors, and the like." This sensor-based data may be used to create a "personal scorecard"[...]

Just how precise are these features going to be? Will they detect and analyze other things you're doing in the bedroom that you wouldn't want to be disturbed for...? :eek: :)

Last edited:

Take Flight

macrumors regular
May 18, 2011
How about silencing the phone when my calendar says I'm busy?

This was a feature in Windows Mobile back in the early 2000s! It was one of the main features I missed when I bought an iPhone and one of the main benefits I received when I switched to Android later.

Seriously, they're talking about setting adjustments based on motion from a device that doesn't exist yet, yet they haven't allowed for simple auto-setting adjustments based on location or time (other than do not disturb).

How about auto-silencing my phone when you know I'm at work, in a church, movie theater, etc.?

Would like to see that opened up more.

Bare

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2008
Yessssss, sleep tracking. Some of you are probably afraid of Apple knowing when we're all sleeping, and hey, I get that. In my opinion, sleep tracking is what puts the Jawbone Up still ahead of the rest of the activity trackers even though it's several years old at this point.

Sleep tracking needs to be involved if I'm going to get a wearable Apple device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.