Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dodgertodd

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2012
Provo, UT
True story

So my buddy found a 32 gb iPod Touch on campus 5 months ago. It's old--looks like a first generation. Anyway, it was password protected and the serial number was scratched off the back. Here's what we tried:

1. Checked with campus police. No reports.
  2. Checked with campus lost and found. They sell stuff that doesn't get picked up after a semester. No thank you.
  3. Checked with Apple store. They said they wouldn't release any contact info. Serial number is scratched off the back, anyway.
  4. Checked with campus police one more time, about two weeks after finding it. Still no luck.

So I tried the button-holding-down trick to put it in reset mode, and it didn't work while connected to Mac OS X. So I booted my Windows 7 VM and it worked then. I wonder if I don't just suck at button-pressing, though. Anyway, now I have an iPod Touch.

So, four years later, THAT'S how you do it, original poster person.

Delighted

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2012
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

jason2811 said:
I was lucky enough to find an 8GB iPod Touch in the snow today! However, it is password protected from anyone using it. Is there any way that I can take off the password protection? Will connecting it to my computer do this? Thanks.

there's nothing you can do to take off password.

worldoffashion

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2014
I think everyone needs to give the OP some slack. He asked for help and everyone feels the need to give him a lesson on morals. Live and let live.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.