Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nhlfreak98

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 16, 2013
I have an iPhone 5, and plan on getting a retina mini but I'm not sure I would use my iPad since I use my iPhone for mostly everything. Anyone have an iPhone and iPad and use them both a good amount?

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Yes, I have an iPhone 5s and a standard iPad mini. I use my iPhone when I'm out and about, and I use my iPad when I'm not.

Also, I'm pretty sure you posted in the wrong section.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Got an iPhone and iPad with cellular. I carry the iPad with me almost everywhere. The iPhone is used mostly as feature phone now (phone + messaging + camera). Web browsing, email, ebook reading (if I don't have the Kindle with me), I do on the iPad.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
For me the additional screen size of the iPad makes using it at home a much more pleasant experience. Basically doing anything on it that I would be on my iPhone is better. Portability is its only fault when comparing to the iPhone.

With iOS 8 it will be even more nice since you'll be able to send/reply to SMS and receive phone calls (assuming you have an iPhone and it's nearby).

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I have the rMini and 5s, and I use both equally. I was in the same position as you when Apple released the rMini. I use my iPhone for pretty much everything, so I figured after the "newness" wore off on my rMini that it would just sit there. However, I still use my rMini every single day. Whether it's just browsing the internet, steaming movies/TV shows from the Netflix app on my iPad to my TV via Chromecast. While my iPhone comes with me everywhere, my rMini stays at home since I only purchased the wifi model (although I do bring it with me when I travel).

Like the other mentioned, both products compliment each other. And plus, if you find you're not using the rMini, you can just sell it.

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
I have an Air & 5S and both devices definitely come in handy. I usually use my Air for meetings with clients when booking events to review and sign contracts. I also use my Air to study my PDFs and read books. My phone is for phone activities such call, text, etc. plus emailing, music, blah blah blah.

Stuntman06

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Metro Vancouver, B.C, Canada
I found that the larger screen of the iPad Mini does make a difference. Some games are harder to see detail on an iPhone where as the iPad Mini allows you to more easily see the detail. I find this is the case with the game Ascension. I also find it to be much easier to type on an iPad Mini than on an iPhone. The keys are much bigger and the split keyboard makes it easy to reach all of the keys. The layout is slightly different making it easier to type a comma.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
I have an iPhone 5 and a first gen mini. I used my phone when I'm out and about or if it's more accessible than my iPad. I find that with the iPad, I use my MacBook Pro less, especially during the summer when I don't have schoolwork.

nhlfreak98

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 16, 2013
I have an iPhone 5 and a first gen mini. I used my phone when I'm out and about or if it's more accessible than my iPad. I find that with the iPad, I use my MacBook Pro less, especially during the summer when I don't have schoolwork.

Is your mini running stock 7.1 or jailbroken?

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
nhlfreak98 said:
I have an iPhone 5, and plan on getting a retina mini but I'm not sure I would use my iPad since I use my iPhone for mostly everything. Anyone have an iPhone and iPad and use them both a good amount?

When I had my iPad and iPhone 5, I used the iPad for a surfing the web when I was not out and about, reading and facetime. I used the iPhone 5 for everything else.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forum Fiend v1.2.8.

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012
The iPad mini screen is significantly bigger than the iphone. So anything you do on the ipad will just be that much easier and more comfortable. And don't forget about apps that are available only for the ipad.

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA

I actually have both. My decision was based on not having both screen sizes too small, therefore I purchased an iPad Air. I don't regret that decision. On the other hand, you might prefer the size of the mini. The mini is relatively small as is the iPhone which is why I didn't bother.

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
I have the 5s and Retina iPad. Both I can use for basic stuff. iPad for movies, writing, photo editing, HD games. iPhone is daily on the go stuff like shopping, emails,music, and social networking.

The iPad HD games are huge so I have a few games and about 20 songs on it.

Purple skier

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2014
Yes I've got both now - I'd never dream of not having ether, as someone said I use iPad at home (wifi version only) and use my iPhone when I'm out. I must add I love the calendar app as I can put things in iPhone and they automatically go onto my iPad, I've only got the iPhone 4 as I'm waiting for the 6

Kryckter

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
Im with most everyone here. Get both! Use the iPad at home and the phone on the go.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Yes I've got both now - I'd never dream of not having ether, as someone said I use iPad at home (wifi version only) and use my iPhone when I'm out. I must add I love the calendar app as I can put things in iPhone and they automatically go onto my iPad, I've only got the iPhone 4 as I'm waiting for the 6

Calendar can sync with any tablet, phone and/or computer not just the iPad. But everything else syncs beautifully too, notes, photos, contacts, iMessage, reminders, etc etc.

Like I mentioned above that is why I love the iPhone iPad combo. It just makes the phone bigger at home (albeit at a premium price).

Purple skier

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2014
Calendar can sync with any tablet, phone and/or computer not just the iPad. But everything else syncs beautifully too, notes, photos, contacts, iMessage, reminders, etc etc.

Like I mentioned above that is why I love the iPhone iPad combo. It just makes the phone bigger at home (albeit at a premium price).

My notes haven't synced how do I do this please? Only the photos on my photo street synced and not all of my camera roll too

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
Turn it on, on your iPhone and Mac and iPad to sync notes. :)

On iOS Device go to Settings - iCloud - turn on notes

on mac go to :apple: - System Pref - iCloud - turn on Notes. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.