Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeffzoom91

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2005
Florida
They're literally putting back the original biodiversity that was paved over to create Silicon Valley as we know it.

Hopefully this is the next thing to get copied. I don't think anyone could be against putting more fruit back in the fruit bowl.

As for the distance between buildings, I can't imagine working there and going "I hate having to go outside and walk through all those trees on a inevitably sunny and cool Northern California today such as today, I might even get some exercise. This is terrible."

twigman08

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2012
If I worked there I really don't think I'd be "worrying" about the "distance" to get to somewhere. I'd imagine it'd be about normal with companies that have this many employees.

LLIBSETAG

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2009
Spaceship Parking

The parking structures look pretty far away from the building. Seems like a bit of an inconvenience.

Underground parking in Phase 1. Additional above ground parking garage in Phase 2. Mass transit, car pooling, bicycle, etc. are encouraged for staff.

Also, walking through forest & gardens in sunny southern California is not inconvenient.

groovyd

Suspended
Jun 24, 2013
Atlanta
I get your point, but for the record this is locale seldom gets pouring rain. :p

elon musk is installing his hyper loop inside. that will be how they get around at the speed of sound actually. i think they might only run it at half that speed though to stay safe and green.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Underground parking in Phase 1. Additional above ground parking garage in Phase 2. Mass transit, car pooling, bicycle, etc. are encouraged for staff.

Also, walking through forest & gardens in sunny southern California is not inconvenient.
You probably meant to say "northern".

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
I might be mistaken but I understood underground parking to mean it is under the main building.

There are two underground parking levels in the basement of the circular structure providing more than 2200 parking spaces. Note that underground the ring is thicker (maybe 30% thicker). About 6000 parking spaces will be in the big structures on the southern end.
apple-campus-2_floor-plan_part-one_page_09.png

A selection of plans

Detailed plans

griz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
New London, NH
Indeed, and is why buildings are not made this was as you want to be able to get from any point to any point in an easy manner. not walk all the way round a doughnut or across the middle when its pouring the rain.

:D

Rest assured, the people on one side of the building have no business being on the opposite side of the building.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Won't it take a very large amount of water on a very regular basis in order to keep all that green from dying out? Or is an environment like that self-sustained?
Here is Apple's official answer:
This is to be a low watered, climate appropriate landscape. Irrigation will be applied to the Campus during the dry season, but all plants (excluding the limited amount of lawn) are drought tolerant and will survive with minimal irrigation (1-2x/month during the dry season). Although approximately 50% of the oaks on Campus are not native to California, they are good, drought-adapted trees that will function well in this climate.
Source

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
One of our campuses has a parking garage that's 3 levels above ground but with an underground tunnel. It's awesome when the weather is bad or super cold/windy. I wish more places would do this!

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
Won't it take a very large amount of water on a very regular basis in order to keep all that green from dying out? Or is an environment like that self-sustained?

According to historical reports, the Silicon Valley area was mostly a rain-fed forest and grassland before there were any European settler-type humans around to do any regular watering.

----------

It seems like it will take forever to get from point A to B.

The HP buildings that were on the site before were even farther apart, and nobody seemed to mind walking to meetings in other buildings.

Wanted797

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
Australia

I think that's what Steve was going for. He wanted to make the place the type of place where you bump into people from all the different areas of Apple. Or taking a walk out in the sun, I can imagine their being umbrellas at every door for people to borrow if it's raining. Seeing people and catching up spurs creativity.

Despite the walk I for one would love that I had the option of getting outside during work! Even if it was raining.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC

True... but it's no worse than what they have now on the existing Infinite Loop campus.

Imagine walking from the 4th floor of IL3 to the 4th floor of IL6. Or from IL5 to VG3

That's quite a hike and you'll be travelling between separate buildings, using multiple elevators, key-cards, etc.

463px-AppleCampusInfiniteLoop.png

The benefits of having 12,000 people under one roof vastly outweigh the inconveniences of walking long distances.

Apple Campus 2 will be 176 acres... so there will occasionally be some walking. But that's expected.

For comparison... the Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World is only 107 acres :)

NY Guitarist

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
Hopefully there will be solar-powered charging stations for electric cars, although I wonder if Google driverless cars will be allowed. ;)

Also I thought I read somewhere about there being bicycles available throughout the campus.

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
One of the more astounding facts mentioned earlier is that nobody trying to get from POINT A to POINT B will ever need to walk more than a half circle. Cool stuff Steve!

True statement shared with tongue firmly in place.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
kewl... now i wanna see the inside....

Reckon Apple will do a inside view of this from street level in Google Maps. :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.