Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jun 20, 2014, 02:40 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

iWatch Coming in Multiple Sizes With More Than 10 Sensors

Apple will launch multiple versions of its highly-rumored "iWatch" smartwatch in the Fall, according to a new report from the The Wall Street Journal. The device is said to come in multiple screen sizes and will utilize over 10 sensors to track health and fitness, with Apple aiming to go beyond the smartphone-related functionalities seen in current smartwatches.

Android smartwatch coming from LG
Quote:
Apple's smartwatch could launch as early as October with production to begin in two to three months at Quanta Computer Inc., a Taiwanese manufacturer that has long been Apple's supplier for Mac computers, said the people familiar with the matter. Quanta will begin some trial runs next month.
In total, sources familiar with the matter estimate that Apple will ship between 10 and 15 million units by the end of the year, as the company is still finalizing specifications before mass production starts.

The report adds additional data to a report from Reuters which claimed that the iWatch would measure in at a surprisingly large 2.5 inches diagonally, and feature wireless charging capabilities in addition to a touch interface. While the new report doesn't contradict the Reuters piece directly, it's not clear if the 2.5-inch screen will be one of the "multiple versions" of the watch that launches this Fall. Previous rumors had suggested that the device would come in a 1.3 and 1.6 inch sizes to accommodate different sized wrists.

Apple is expected to introduce the iWatch at an October event, with a launch coming in the same month.

Article Link: iWatch Coming in Multiple Sizes With More Than 10 Sensors
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2014, 02:40 AM   #2
MrLoL
macrumors member

So much iWatch news! Can't wait!
Old Jun 20, 2014, 02:41 AM   #3
AceMason
macrumors regular

OH MY GERRD it's getting closerr!
AceMason is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2014, 02:42 AM   #4
OtherJesus
macrumors regular

Multiple sizes or multiple styles? I'd love to see more than one watch design at launch. That would be bold.
OtherJesus is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2014, 02:42 AM   #5
Strawberrylim88
macrumors newbie

Let the BATTLES begin
Strawberrylim88 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2014, 02:45 AM   #6
Sound214
macrumors regular

So, production beginning in two to three months, with a launch in October? That means there could be about one month of production before launch. Sure.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 02:48 AM   #7
CartoonCat
macrumors member

Is it really possible to surprise people anymore? People have such high expectations today it's almost impossible to satisfy anyone. When Apple finally reveals the "iWatch" will people be in awe, or just...What? that's it, that's all you got? Meh!
CartoonCat is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2014, 02:49 AM   #8
Klae17
macrumors 6502a

I'm sorry, but according to my sources, the iWatch will look something like this:

Old Jun 20, 2014, 02:49 AM   #9
6GenNANO
macrumors newbie

Great! I hope it comes with bluetooth beats headsets. I wished they released this a long time ago instead of the 7th gen nano!
6GenNANO is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2014, 02:50 AM   #10
Lancer
macrumors 68000

I still haven't bought an iPad... won't be getting this.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 02:51 AM   #11
Dave245
macrumors 6502a

If it's going to cost several THOUSAND dollars/pounds, like it was reported a few months back, then i would be very disappointed I think Apple can innovate and make a brilliant product, yes Smart watches are already out and about, but they don't have the functionality or the appeal that i think Apple can do.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 02:51 AM   #12
satyrica
macrumors member

Can we get a show of hands?

Like clockwork, it grinds my gears watching how many people get ticked off over these details...
satyrica is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2014, 02:53 AM   #13
Jambalaya
macrumors 6502a

My eyes, my eyes. Boy is that ugly. I hope this mock-up isn't correct, the round traditional one I liked, this is horrible.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 02:54 AM   #14
wovel
macrumors 68000

So the LG Watch actually makes the tape and paper mockup look pretty good.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jambalaya View Post
My eyes, my eyes. Boy is that ugly. I hope this mock-up isn't correct, the round traditional one I liked, this is horrible.
I agree with you, but you missed the best part. That is not a mockup. That is a watch LG plans on shipping. Does anyone else think Apple should wait a year and release a watch after everyone else gives up.
wovel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2014, 02:55 AM   #15
peterdevries
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound214 View Post
So, production beginning in two to three months, with a launch in October? That means there could be about one month of production before launch. Sure.
Your scepticism lacks foundation:
  • Apple has done staggered roll-outs before focussing first on the US and UK. It is likely that they will do so again.
  • The market for iWatches is likely to be much smaller than that for iPhoens and iPads.
  • You have got no idea about the production scale that Apple has set up.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 02:55 AM   #16
OllyW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jambalaya View Post
It's not an iWatch mock-up, it's an Android smartwatch from LG.
OllyW is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2014, 02:56 AM   #17
peterdevries
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by wovel View Post
So the LG Watch actually makes the tape and paper mockup look pretty good.

----------

I agree with you, but you missed the best part. That is not a mockup. That is a watch LG plans on shipping.
I wouldn't buy this, but it definitely looks better than the Gear (except the Gear Fit). I can see lots of Tiesto listening, white linen pants wearing people buying this gaudy piece of crap. Liberace would be proud.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 02:58 AM   #18
arn
macrumors god

Send a message via AIM to arn
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterdevries View Post
Your scepticism lacks foundation:
  • Apple has done staggered roll-outs before focussing first on the US and UK. It is likely that they will do so again.
  • The market for iWatches is likely to be much smaller than that for iPhoens and iPads.
  • You have got no idea about the production scale that Apple has set up.
The other factor to consider, is that unlike the iPhone and iPad, Apple doesn't have to announce the iWatch and worry about it canabilizing existing product sales.

When Apple announces iPhone 6, they have to start shipping it ASAP, since iPhone 5S sales will tank.

The iWatch is a new product line, so they can announce early and ship it later. It also helps prevent production line leaks... that's how they did the original iPhone announcement (6 months ahead) and original iPad announcement (2 months before shipping).

arn
arn is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2014, 03:03 AM   #19
nostaws
macrumors 6502

Yeah, that picture was the stupidest thing I had ever seen posted on macrumors. lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klae17 View Post
I'm sorry, but according to my sources, the iWatch will look something like this:

nostaws is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2014, 03:12 AM   #20
Zxxv
macrumors 68000

That ones for girls right?
Zxxv is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2014, 03:15 AM   #21
Quu
macrumors 68000

I think that LG design actually looks quite nice. Imagine if their phones looked like that? Just a black slate front design sandwiched to a metal back like that watch. That would look amazing, not looking at practicality just aesthetically.
Quu is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2014, 03:17 AM   #22
saving107
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer View Post
I still haven't bought an iPad... won't be getting this.
I did purchase an iPad and I do intend to purchase the purported "iWatch", so, yeah, thats my contribution to this thread.
saving107 is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2014, 03:18 AM   #23
thekeyring
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by CartoonCat View Post
Is it really possible to surprise people anymore? People have such high expectations today it's almost impossible to satisfy anyone. When Apple finally reveals the "iWatch" will people be in awe, or just...What? that's it, that's all you got? Meh!
When the iPad was launched didn't people proclaim "It's a big iPod touch!" "It will never replace netbooks." "No multitasking and no flash? No thanks." Yet it still sold incredibly well.

We will see disappointment at launch - just as we did for WWDC 2014 despite arguably the best software releases for a while - but it doesn't mean the iWatch won't sell, or be looked upon by history as revolutionary.
thekeyring is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2014, 03:21 AM   #24
mw360
macrumors 6502a

oh thank God, that's just some Android watch
mw360 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2014, 03:34 AM   #25
BvizioN
macrumors 68020

Send a message via Skype™ to BvizioN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klae17 View Post

Smart phones, smart watches, and obviously smart asses everywhere!
BvizioN is offline   4 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion