Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple will launch multiple versions of its highly-rumored "iWatch" smartwatch in the Fall, according to a new report from the The Wall Street Journal. The device is said to come in multiple screen sizes and will utilize over 10 sensors to track health and fitness, with Apple aiming to go beyond the smartphone-related functionalities seen in current smartwatches.

lg_gwatch.jpg
Android smartwatch coming from LG​
Apple's smartwatch could launch as early as October with production to begin in two to three months at Quanta Computer Inc., a Taiwanese manufacturer that has long been Apple's supplier for Mac computers, said the people familiar with the matter. Quanta will begin some trial runs next month.
In total, sources familiar with the matter estimate that Apple will ship between 10 and 15 million units by the end of the year, as the company is still finalizing specifications before mass production starts.

The report adds additional data to a report from Reuters which claimed that the iWatch would measure in at a surprisingly large 2.5 inches diagonally, and feature wireless charging capabilities in addition to a touch interface. While the new report doesn't contradict the Reuters piece directly, it's not clear if the 2.5-inch screen will be one of the "multiple versions" of the watch that launches this Fall. Previous rumors had suggested that the device would come in a 1.3 and 1.6 inch sizes to accommodate different sized wrists.

Apple is expected to introduce the iWatch at an October event, with a launch coming in the same month.

Article Link: iWatch Coming in Multiple Sizes With More Than 10 Sensors

Sound214

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2011
Sweden
So, production beginning in two to three months, with a launch in October? That means there could be about one month of production before launch. Sure.

CartoonCat

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2014
Is it really possible to surprise people anymore? People have such high expectations today it's almost impossible to satisfy anyone. When Apple finally reveals the "iWatch" will people be in awe, or just...What? that's it, that's all you got? Meh!

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2011
I'm sorry, but according to my sources, the iWatch will look something like this:

iwatchmockup.jpg

6GenNANO

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2012
Great! I hope it comes with bluetooth beats headsets. I wished they released this a long time ago instead of the 7th gen nano!

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
If it's going to cost several THOUSAND dollars/pounds, like it was reported a few months back, then i would be very disappointed :( I think Apple can innovate and make a brilliant product, yes Smart watches are already out and about, but they don't have the functionality or the appeal that i think Apple can do.

Jambalaya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2013
UK
My eyes, my eyes. Boy is that ugly. I hope this mock-up isn't correct, the round traditional one I liked, this is horrible.

wovel

macrumors 68000
Mar 15, 2010
America(s)!
So the LG Watch actually makes the tape and paper mockup look pretty good.

----------

My eyes, my eyes. Boy is that ugly. I hope this mock-up isn't correct, the round traditional one I liked, this is horrible.

I agree with you, but you missed the best part. That is not a mockup. That is a watch LG plans on shipping. Does anyone else think Apple should wait a year and release a watch after everyone else gives up.

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
So, production beginning in two to three months, with a launch in October? That means there could be about one month of production before launch. Sure.

Your scepticism lacks foundation:

• Apple has done staggered roll-outs before focussing first on the US and UK. It is likely that they will do so again.
  • The market for iWatches is likely to be much smaller than that for iPhoens and iPads.
  • You have got no idea about the production scale that Apple has set up.

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
So the LG Watch actually makes the tape and paper mockup look pretty good.

----------

I agree with you, but you missed the best part. That is not a mockup. That is a watch LG plans on shipping.

I wouldn't buy this, but it definitely looks better than the Gear (except the Gear Fit). I can see lots of Tiesto listening, white linen pants wearing people buying this gaudy piece of crap. :D Liberace would be proud.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Your scepticism lacks foundation:

• Apple has done staggered roll-outs before focussing first on the US and UK. It is likely that they will do so again.
  • The market for iWatches is likely to be much smaller than that for iPhoens and iPads.
  • You have got no idea about the production scale that Apple has set up.

The other factor to consider, is that unlike the iPhone and iPad, Apple doesn't have to announce the iWatch and worry about it canabilizing existing product sales.

When Apple announces iPhone 6, they have to start shipping it ASAP, since iPhone 5S sales will tank.

The iWatch is a new product line, so they can announce early and ship it later. It also helps prevent production line leaks... that's how they did the original iPhone announcement (6 months ahead) and original iPad announcement (2 months before shipping).

arn

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
I think that LG design actually looks quite nice. Imagine if their phones looked like that? Just a black slate front design sandwiched to a metal back like that watch. That would look amazing, not looking at practicality just aesthetically.

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
Is it really possible to surprise people anymore? People have such high expectations today it's almost impossible to satisfy anyone. When Apple finally reveals the "iWatch" will people be in awe, or just...What? that's it, that's all you got? Meh!

When the iPad was launched didn't people proclaim "It's a big iPod touch!" "It will never replace netbooks." "No multitasking and no flash? No thanks." Yet it still sold incredibly well.

We will see disappointment at launch - just as we did for WWDC 2014 despite arguably the best software releases for a while - but it doesn't mean the iWatch won't sell, or be looked upon by history as revolutionary.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.