Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alexor

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2014
There is an App in the App Store called "Temperature Gauge" it is only £2.99 and appears to do what you require.
Thanks very much.

Turned out I could borrow a MPB Late 2013, 2.3 GHz with the nVidia from work for a few days so I'll run my own tests. Beautiful machine, I must say. Keyboard feels very good to type on for a laptop.

I see that the fans spin continuously even when completely idle (at a low speed) ... Is that normal? Most Haswell laptops I've seen stop the fans at idle, though this is the first i7-4850HQ I see, which is a 47W max TDP.

Many thanks for the answers so far.

Alex.

qnxor

macrumors member
May 2, 2014
For those interested or curious:

Inspired by this thread, I wrote a script that automates the entire process of stress testing via x264 transcoding and outputs a graph of frequency and temperature against time to reveal any throttling ... downloads and installs needed tools and video as well (all of them free and open source).

See here: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1731178/

Also on GitHub.

p.s. Will add GPU stress testing soon.

gbuzogany

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2014
---------- #nevermind -------------
Update 2: After more extensive testing, the GPU throttling problem is still bad :(

Last edited:

ha1o2surfer

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2013
---------- #nevermind -------------
Update 2: After more extensive testing, the GPU throttling problem is still bad :(

the 650m in a macbook is just so gimped I wouldn't even battle with it much longer. All the benchmarks I see are just so much slower than other 650m's. I mean, according to Luxmark my 660m is double the performer. So I have to lean towards Apple did this on purpose. It's not throttling just being limited by it's bios and/or firmware.

gbuzogany

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2014
just reporting that either the latest builds of yosemite or nvidia drivers fixed my throttling problem (hope they don't break it again!).
also, luxmark scores almost the same as a gtx 660m (screenshot attached)

Attachments

• ss.png
    ss.png
    689.2 KB · Views: 149
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.