Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jun 20, 2014, 01:37 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Yahoo's Missed Opportunity with iOS 8 Weather Hints at Uncertain Future in Stocks App

iOS 8 will include a revamped Weather app with data provided by the Weather Channel instead of Yahoo, which previously powered Apple's weather app for years. This switchover of weather services allegedly was masterminded by former Yahoo board member and Weather Channel CEO David Kenny after he assumed his leadership role at the weather information company last year, reports Re/Code.

Kenny allegedly negotiated a deal with Apple that cut Yahoo out of the loop that provided weather data for iOS. In earlier iOS versions, Yahoo was the provider linked in the Weather app, but the actual meteorological data came from the Weather Channel. Kenny lured Apple away from Yahoo by offering a sweeter deal that included additional technology and more robust weather information than was made available to Yahoo. As a result, the Weather app in iOS 8 now includes a nine-day weather forecast, up from five days in iOS 7, details such as sunrise/sunset times and a new "Today" weather summary located at the bottom of the app.

Though Yahoo reportedly was in talks with Apple about featuring Yahoo services more prominently in iOS, the internet company didn't realize the Weather Channel was making a power play for iOS, and let this high-profile deal slip away.
Quote:
"Yahoo had been renting ocean-front property for years and did not realize the lease was up, and the Weather Channel slipped right in and took it," said a Yahoo exec, who said the company acted too late to save the deal. "It's a high-profile loss."
This provider change is a big blow to Yahoo, which as recently as April wanted to increase its role in iOS by making Yahoo the default search engine on iOS.

Apple's decision to drop Yahoo as it weather source also calls into question the search company's future involvement in the iOS Stocks app. Similar to earlier versions of the Weather app, the iOS Stocks app pulls its stock information from Yahoo Finance. Though not confirmed, some believe Apple could choose Bloomberg, CNBC or Reuters over Yahoo for its stock data in future versions of iOS 8.

Article Link: Yahoo's Missed Opportunity with iOS 8 Weather Hints at Uncertain Future in Stocks App
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2014, 01:39 PM   #2
BulletToothTony
macrumors 6502

as long as we get something better than "Today's high will be" I'm happy, sometimes i need to know what the temp is Right Now not 5 hours from now.

Edit* I'm talking about the iPad btw, I use an iPad Mini as a cellphone.

Last edited by BulletToothTony; Jun 20, 2014 at 01:45 PM.
BulletToothTony is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2014, 01:41 PM   #3
Davmeister
macrumors 6502

What do people still use Yahoo! for? Serious question. I am ignorant in this respect...
Old Jun 20, 2014, 01:41 PM   #4
JonneyGee
macrumors regular

Good. TWC provides better weather data anyway... hopefully radar will make its way to the native iOS app.
JonneyGee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2014, 01:41 PM   #5
decimortis
macrumors 6502

There's a Stocks app?

D.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 01:41 PM   #6
nazaar
macrumors 6502

That stock app is just wasted space anyways.
nazaar is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2014, 01:41 PM   #7
charlituna
macrumors 604

As much nicer as this info is, I still side with those that feel they should dump the built in app all together and let us download what we want to use ourselves. Especially now that apps can create their own widgets so if we want the forecast summary in our Notification Center we can add it
Old Jun 20, 2014, 01:41 PM   #8
afsnyder
macrumors 6502a

Yahoo's a big company... they should have known.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 01:42 PM   #9
edk99
macrumors 6502a

When you are the source it is pretty easy to cut out the middle man and offer a better deal. I don't think you need to be a rocket scientist to broker a deal like that.
edk99 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2014, 01:42 PM   #10
afsnyder
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazaar View Post
That stock app is just wasted space anyways.
I use the stock app all the time... i don't own stocks but it's nice to see all the links to the articles of people viewpoints on recent announcements for companies like Apple, Google, etc.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 01:43 PM   #11
snappyfool
macrumors 6502a

Pretty sure sunrise and sunset times were already there.
snappyfool is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2014, 01:45 PM   #12
IJ Reilly
macrumors P6

What's the difference in who supplies stock data?
Old Jun 20, 2014, 01:45 PM   #13
dstankus
macrumors member

I understand the value of being in the default app, but the Apple Weather has always been several notches behind the others like TWC app, which is the one I use.
dstankus is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2014, 01:46 PM   #14
Lazy
macrumors regular

Sort of sad in the sense that the Weather Channel is a sorry business, as easily seen by watching their programming for a little while. Hyperbole and a bunch of non-weather garbage, along with trying to make any weather event scary so you'll feel the need to keep watching to stay safe. However ultimately it doesn't really matter who the "provider" is since everyone gets their raw data from the same weather stations.

As for this comment in the article "Apple's decision to drop Yahoo as it weather source also calls into question the search company's future involvement in the iOS Stocks app." there's no reason to think there' any linkgage between the two. I'm sure Apple will negotate for the best deal for the stocks app among everyone capable who's interested without caring what they did or didn't have for weather.
Lazy is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2014, 01:46 PM   #15
azentropy
macrumors 65816

Still shocked that the weather app icon can't be made active (like clock) and display the current temp.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 01:46 PM   #16
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Yahoo isn't a weather company. Wasn't the data ultimately coming from the Weather Channel anyway?
Old Jun 20, 2014, 01:47 PM   #17
IJ Reilly
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappyfool View Post
Pretty sure sunrise and sunset times were already there.
Yes, the sun rises and sets just the same, no matter what. This BTW is a mathematical calculation. It doesn't need to be supplied by anyone.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
Yahoo isn't a weather company. Wasn't the data ultimately coming from the Weather Channel anyway?
Ultimately, it all comes from the NWS (in the U.S. anyway).
Old Jun 20, 2014, 01:47 PM   #18
Tech198
macrumors 68040

Deal with this stuff directly, you have more trouble going via an intermediary like Yahoo.

Apple's doing it right Bit late, but their on the ball.. Just don't fall off.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 01:47 PM   #19
NachoGrande
macrumors 6502

Excellent, both useless apps.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 01:48 PM   #20
csalm87
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to csalm87
Maybe if Yahoo was actually accurate... I mean, sometimes it would be 10 degrees off from what Weather.com says.
csalm87 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2014, 01:48 PM   #21
iolinux333
macrumors 6502a

I still have this fantasy that someday Yahoo gets their act together and becomes a viable Google competitor. Maybe even some kind of mergered AppleMicrosoftYahoo frankenbeast would be less horrible than Google.
iolinux333 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2014, 01:48 PM   #22
SockRolid
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
... iOS 8 will include a revamped Weather app with data provided by the Weather Channel instead of Yahoo ...
Weather Channel guy: It’s a high-profile loss.

Yahoo: FML!

Apple: [ crickets ... ]

iOS 8 users: [ crickets ... ]
Old Jun 20, 2014, 01:52 PM   #23
M-O
macrumors 6502

weather.com is a terrible stock ticker.
M-O is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2014, 01:55 PM   #24
SockRolid
macrumors 65816

Maybe this is part of a long-term takeover play by Apple.

Step 1: Do deals with Yahoo! to get investors interested in Yahoo! (e.g. weather, stocks, sports and whatever.)

Step 2: Cut Yahoo! out of the picture to drop their stock valuation.

Step 3: Wait for the stock to bottom out.

Step 4: Buy just the pieces of Yahoo! that you want (search, weather, stocks, sports, and whatever.)

Kind of like what Microsoft did to Nokia, except they f-ed up Nokia even harder by installing a Microsoft guy as its CEO. Best possible way to drive its valuation down before buying the company.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 01:58 PM   #25
iolinux333
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post
Maybe this is part of a long-term takeover play by Apple.

Step 1: Do deals with Yahoo! to get investors interested in Yahoo! (e.g. weather, stocks, sports and whatever.)

Step 2: Cut Yahoo! out of the picture to drop their stock valuation.

Step 3: Wait for the stock to bottom out.

Step 4: Buy just the pieces of Yahoo! that you want (search, weather, stocks, sports, and whatever.)

Kind of like what Microsoft did to Nokia, except they f-ed up Nokia even harder by installing a Microsoft guy as its CEO. Best possible way to drive its valuation down before buying the company.

What's Yahoo's valuation these days? Could Apple afford to buy them? I'm not saying it's a good idea, rather just playing with the idea.
iolinux333 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion