Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mjbushnell

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 8, 2011
Colorado
I've got 2 older Macs, a 2007 MacPro desktop & a 2008 MacBook Pro.
It's come time to replace them, especially since the MacPro will not run the latest OS X (it's topped out at 10.7.5) & its 1tb hard drive is almost maxed out. I'm wondering if it is worth it to get a larger hard drive for it.

I've found that the 15" MacBook Pro is too large & heavy to cart around on a regular basis (especially after working with an iPad I for the last few years & recently upgrading that to an iPad Air).

I'm trying to decide which route to go. I'm going to a railroad historical convention at the end of July (Union Pacific Railroad Historical Society in Ogden, UT) & if I go the 13" Macbook Pro route, I would like to get one prior to that trip. In addition to the convention, I plan on taking an additional week off & do some exploring around UT & ID, looking for a possible retirement location when that time comes in 2 1/2 - 3 years (hopefully).

The other option is to get a new MacPro. As they have just come out after an extensive update, I am hesitant to get one right away (I'd rather wait for an upgrade or two). And they are expensive!

As far as uses for a new computer, other than general use, I do quite a bit of photography, using Adobe Photoshop CS6 (I am hesitant to make the jump to Creative Cloud). Most of my digital images are shot with a Nikon D700, shot in raw format. I also use a Canon Powershot SD900 Point & Shoot for JPEG images when the Nikon is too big & cumbersome. Other images are 35mm slides that are scanned in using a Nikon Super Coolscan 5000 or 2 1/4 square B&W negatives scanned in using an Epson Perfection 2450 Photo Scanners.

Thanks for any ideas.
Mark

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I've got 2 older Macs, a 2007 MacPro desktop & a 2008 MacBook Pro.
It's come time to replace them, especially since the MacPro will not run the latest OS X (it's topped out at 10.7.5) & its 1tb hard drive is almost maxed out. I'm wondering if it is worth it to get a larger hard drive for it.

I've found that the 15" MacBook Pro is too large & heavy to cart around on a regular basis (especially after working with an iPad I for the last few years & recently upgrading that to an iPad Air).

I'm trying to decide which route to go. I'm going to a railroad historical convention at the end of July (Union Pacific Railroad Historical Society in Ogden, UT) & if I go the 13" Macbook Pro route, I would like to get one prior to that trip. In addition to the convention, I plan on taking an additional week off & do some exploring around UT & ID, looking for a possible retirement location when that time comes in 2 1/2 - 3 years (hopefully).

The other option is to get a new MacPro. As they have just come out after an extensive update, I am hesitant to get one right away (I'd rather wait for an upgrade or two). And they are expensive!

As far as uses for a new computer, other than general use, I do quite a bit of photography, using Adobe Photoshop CS6 (I am hesitant to make the jump to Creative Cloud). Most of my digital images are shot with a Nikon D700, shot in raw format. I also use a Canon Powershot SD900 Point & Shoot for JPEG images when the Nikon is too big & cumbersome. Other images are 35mm slides that are scanned in using a Nikon Super Coolscan 5000 or 2 1/4 square B&W negatives scanned in using an Epson Perfection 2450 Photo Scanners.

Thanks for any ideas.
Mark

Personally I would sell both Macs and get a top of the line 13" Retina MacBook Pro with a good display and dock at home.

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
If you go with just a laptop, disk space will be a significant problem if you want to have most of your files with you. If you're ok with using external drives then a high end 13" MBP will work ok and be very portable. My older MBP with an external monitor does a decent job as a desktop. I personally hate dealing with two personal machines and syncing files between them. I prefer to find one device that can do the job.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
If you go with just a laptop, disk space will be a significant problem if you want to have most of your files with you. If you're ok with using external drives then a high end 13" MBP will work ok and be very portable. My older MBP with an external monitor does a decent job as a desktop. I personally hate dealing with two personal machines and syncing files between them. I prefer to find one device that can do the job.

A Thunderbolt hard drive would work well, or even an NAS.

mjbushnell

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 8, 2011
Colorado
Thanks for the replies guys.

My guess is that for the time being, I would go with a 13" MacBook Pro. I will probably get some kind of external drive, at least for use while at home. At that point, I will have to figure out where & which files I want to keep on the internal drive (& including what size internal drive to get) and which files to keep on the external drive.

Thanks again.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Thanks for the replies guys.

My guess is that for the time being, I would go with a 13" MacBook Pro. I will probably get some kind of external drive, at least for use while at home. At that point, I will have to figure out where & which files I want to keep on the internal drive (& including what size internal drive to get) and which files to keep on the external drive.

Thanks again.

A Thunderbolt drive would work well, but a USB 3.0 drive would be more than adequate and is much more affordable. You could also look at a NAS option.

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012
MacPro is overkill for your work. A quad Mini with a great display such as a Dell U2713HM is perfect for your photographic needs, yet it costs about the same as a slower 21inch iMac.
You can put quite a bit of storage in the Mini, and have fast disk access too. It is the only Mac that allows DIY installation of storage capable of 1GB/s read/write.

Panch0

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2010
Virginia
what 2007 MP do you have? A maxed out MBA scores higher than a quad core 2009 MP on single core tests on GeekBench - and almost as well on multi core.

Seven years is a long time...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.