Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Nearly a month ago, we noted that Apple was apparently working on iOS 7.1.2, as revealed in our web logs by the appearance of visits from devices running the operating system version on Apple's networks.

At the time, we had no information on what the update would include, but suggested it was likely to include fixes for an email attachment encryption issue and problems for users leaving iOS for a different platform trying to disassociate their phone numbers from iMessage. In both cases, Apple acknowledged that it was working on fixes for the issues that would be included in a future software update, and iOS 7.1.2 will be the first public update released since those statements.

MacRumors has now learned that Apple is indeed nearing a public release of iOS 7.1.2 and has begun seeding carrier partners with a version of it, termed build 11D257. Apple has apparently asked carriers to sign off on the update by Friday, June 27, indicating that a public release could occur the following week.

7_1_2_11d247_about.jpg
According to sources, the build of iOS 7.1.2 does indeed address the email attachment encryption issue, as well as a bug in downloading emails. Also included in the update is a fix for a lock screen vulnerability that could allow access to "limited apps". While we can't say for certain, Apple may be referring to the "missed call" lock screen bug publicized earlier this month.

Finally, iOS 7.1.2 is said to include both improvements to iBeacon connectivity and a bug fix related to data transfer with third-party accessories such as bar code scanners. There is no explicit mention of any fixes for iMessage, but they may still be quietly included in the release.

ios_7_1_2_hits_jun19.jpg
Visits to MacRumors.com from devices running iOS 7.1.2
Since the first appearance of iOS 7.1.2 in our web logs back in mid-May, traffic from devices running the upcoming operating system has increased fairly gradually with the exception of a spike on the day of Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference keynote.

Article Link: iOS 7.1.2 to Address Mail, Lock Screen, iBeacon Issues in Coming Weeks

dazzer21

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2005
Email

When are we going to get back the ability to dump bulk emails, like you could in iOS 6?!

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
It is very cool to me that the devs at apple visit this site

It's why I complain here. I figure it'll get at least a few eyeballs. I would be wise for management to follow these forums also, though I doubt they do. I've seen so many companies go under for failing to address forum complaints, even going back to the days of Usenet, and before that dialup BBSes and fidonet.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
It is very cool to me that the devs at apple visit this site

Yeah thats awesome. I hope they look at the forums.

----------

The problem with the graph is I don't know how many devices were talking here. Remember in math they said EVERY graph needs to have the Y axis labeled?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yeah thats awesome. I hope they look at the forums.

----------

The problem with the graph is I don't know how many devices were talking here. Remember in math they said EVERY graph needs to have the Y axis labeled?
In general, yes, that's usually true, however in cases like this where the graph is there to demonstrate some increase or decrease it's not as important as it's the relevant/comparative increase/decrease which can be seen visually without specific numbers which is important.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
In general, yes, that's usually true, however in cases like this where the graph is there to demonstrate some increase or decrease it's not as important as it's the relevant/comparative increase/decrease which can be seen visually without specific numbers which is important.

Yeah but I still want to know how many, this could be a few it could be millions. I don't know.

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
Hopefully an update to address most bugs for people who will stick with the iPhone 4 for some more time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.