Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
Then I would steer clear of 10.10. Seems the opposite of stability from what I can gather. Not sure how that classifies as progress, even at early beta stage...

----------

IT'S A DEVELOPER PREVIEW. It's not even at beta stage yet! Jeez. People say the funniest things!

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
IT'S A DEVELOPER PREVIEW. It's not even at beta stage yet! Jeez. People say the funniest things!

AND . . . that excuse, is lame. That is all people with your point of view typically say. We have a stable OS in Mavericks. Why not improve it rather than reinvent the wheel every time. A lot of people feel this way and a lot of people don't. Just because you thinks it "funny" doesn't mean you are right. I have come to expect more from Apple. I feel this should not be even at the developer stage yet. It will release in a few short months. What have they been doing all this time?

TestedLion

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2011
AND . . . that excuse, is lame. That is all people with your point of view typically say. We have a stable OS in Mavericks. Why not improve it rather than reinvent the wheel every time. A lot of people feel this way and a lot of people don't. Just because you thinks it "funny" doesn't mean you are right. I have come to expect more from Apple. I feel this should not be even at the developer stage yet. It will release in a few short months. What have they been doing all this time?

lol.

itt

people who have zero understanding of what dev. preview means.

these releases aren't meant to be stable system wide, necessarily. they're meant to preview, test, develop new technology implementations and/or "improvements" over older technologies.

if you didn't get your dev. previews via torrent sites, you'd actually understand what dev. preview means.

lol

you can keep your mavericks or whatever OS you bloody well want. it will eventually become deprecated. However, really, that won't necessarily matter depending on how satisfactory your OS + software solution is for the implementation of the desired end result your needs indicate.

dyrer

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2010
Greece
Mavericks is mature product, stable without youth bugs
If you want a stable product for work, Mavericks is just fine, if want to sail to a new undiscovered waters then Yosemity is your choice.

ps.
All I want is a stable and light OSX :(

JackieTreehorn

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2005
Amsterdam
I finally gave up on Apple Mail after all these years and literally just started the 30-day trial of Postbox two days ago. So far so good. It's been a pretty smooth transition as the similarities abound.

Postbox is fine for my Gmail accounts too. It just seems to spam my Console with these type of messages, making Console not very easy to use anymore.

Attachments

• postbox.png
    postbox.png
    540.1 KB · Views: 178

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.

Do you even know what a developer preview is?

You just don't seem to get it.

Mavericks is stable because it's had 3 point releases, and the overall system did not change much, albeit for new memory management. In fact Mavericks was stable during it's DP releases, but you cannot compare that to Yosemite.

Yosemite is a big release, that changes a lot of things that have remained pretty much the same since the introduction of OS X. The UI notably.

I don't understand why people don't get the 'it's a developer preview' excuse, because it is. It's not meant to be a stable product at this moment. Give it a few more preview releases before it will get stable.

Cling to Mavericks as much as you want, when Yosemite is released it will become obsolete, as usual.

FWIW, I love Mavericks and i'm not one of those people who are using Yosemite as their daily driver. But I will be updating when it's released.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
This just popped up on my MBP, which is enrolled in the public seeding thingy (I'm not a registered developer).

robert05au

macrumors regular
May 19, 2005
Dubbo, NSW
No issues thus far with Mavericks cannot say the same for some microsoft office crap which just seems to get worse.

I use GMail via a app called MailTab Pro which works great thus far and makes checking mail via it quite easy.

Overall I am happy with Mavericks

Also enjoy reading about Yosemite on the side

ArmCortexA8

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
Terra Australis
This is not just for developers either. I got notification via Software Update it was available and I am not a developer. I believe this is because I was part of the previous 10.9.3 public beta with the Feedback Assistant. It also states as part of the conditions, you install the Beta Access Utility.

----------

No issues thus far with Mavericks cannot say the same for some microsoft office crap which just seems to get worse.

I use GMail via a app called MailTab Pro which works great thus far and makes checking mail via it quite easy.

Overall I am happy with Mavericks

Also enjoy reading about Yosemite on the side

Ive never had issues with Microsoft Office 2011 even on Mavericks, and yes they release updates quite frequently. Mac Mail is a piece of crap and would never ever use it - I don't trust it and too cut down compared to Outlook.

----------

This just popped up on my MBP, which is enrolled in the public seeding thingy (I'm not a registered developer).

Same here :)

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
AppleSeed

AppleSeed now also has this release.
PS. Anyone figured out what has changed? I haven't...

Also, I've been using the Mail.app since Mavericks first came out. I hadn't had it connected to my Gmail until three-four months ago, but it still works just fine for me... Never had a problem with Mail (that is with the exception of 1 UI glitch that's easily fixed by cmd+,'ing the Preferences pane into existence and then cmd+q'ing the app away. On next launch it works perfectly.)

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I finally gave up on Apple Mail after all these years and literally just started the 30-day trial of Postbox two days ago. So far so good. It's been a pretty smooth transition as the similarities abound.

I've used Apple Mail every day for 12+ years, for up to 12 IMAP-based email accounts at once. Has worked like a champ. Things were a little weird with Mavericks, but nothing show-stopping. I currently have 4 Gmail (Google Apps) accounts, and an iCloud account, and a 6th IMAP account set up. Working great. Not sure what all of the fuss was about for people.

----------

Just reinstalled a gained 1+ GB of disk space afterwards. I know things are cleaned up during a reinstall, but it's always nice to see the disk usage go down instead of up. :)

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
Ive never had issues with Microsoft Office 2011 even on Mavericks, and yes they release updates quite frequently. Mac Mail is a piece of crap and would never ever use it - I don't trust it and too cut down compared to Outlook.

I've had a lot of problems with the cursor disappearing and layouts jumping around when I type. Fortunately they patched it fairly recently and I haven't had any problems since. I can't imagine it must be easy to code Office for Mavericks at this point what with all the legacy stuff stuck in the back-end. It's still odd seeing old UI elements I'd long forgotten about in certain places; it almost gives me nostalgia.

SarcasticJoe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2013
Finland

You do realize that complaining about the current state of 10.10 is like complaining about a car still in development. It's like going:

"Why is there a laptop in the front seat showing telemetry data?"

"Why does this thing break down so often?"

"Why are there no carpets?"

"Why can't I configure it with every option that I want?"

"Why are there unpainted body parts on it?"

"Why are there these masking bits covering the exact design of the front?"

"Why is the milage not as high as advertised"

You might have a point if you were complaining about the launch version or even a release candidate, but not something which is pretty much feature complete, but still months from launch. Over the next 3 months they're working on bug hunting and fixing SPECIFICALLY.

Last edited by a moderator:

roosta

macrumors regular
May 1, 2005
las vegas
has anyone who has installed the 10.9.4 update noticed that search in mail isn't working and that vip mailboxes are messed up?

WallToWallMacs

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2014
has anyone who has installed the 10.9.4 update noticed that search in mail isn't working and that vip mailboxes are messed up?

Probably best to give more details; which email service provider - IMAP or POP? upgrade of OS X Mavericks or a clean install?

roosta

macrumors regular
May 1, 2005
las vegas
Probably best to give more details; which email service provider - IMAP or POP? upgrade of OS X Mavericks or a clean install?

pop and imap. gmail, cloud and my company pop account.

updated through software update.

i've now restored to 10.9.3 through time machine.

JGRE

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
Dutch Mountains
What has been unstable about it? I've been running Mavericks as soon as it came out and not a single kernel panic, little to no problems with Safari and pretty much everything working as planned (I guess not using gmail also helps the situation).

Where have you been the last years? People have been complaining all over the place since SL was replaced. Yes, Mavericks is better than Lion, but all stable? Really not. Things should indeed go back as they where, stability before glamour.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.