Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

skypelogo.jpg
Microsoft announced today via Computerworld) that it will be dropping support for older versions of Skype on Mac and Windows over the next few months to make way for newer editions.

Specifically, Skype for Mac 6.14 and below will be retired in the near future, as Microsoft noted that users will no longer be able to sign into the service until they upgrade to the latest version of Skype. Skype for Mac 6.14 was originally released in February, with Skype for Mac 6.18 being the most recent release.

In April, Skype made group video calling free for Mac, PC and Xbox One users, and also launched a redesigned iPhone app earlier this month that featured a streamlined design and improved performance.

Skype for Mac can be downloaded for free from the service's official website. The application requires Mac OS X Snow Leopard and above in addition to a compatible webcam.

Article Link: Microsoft Retiring Older Versions of Skype for Mac

viizi

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2010
dis not gun be gud!

----------

Why is this news MacRumors?

since a lot of mac users opt to use skype 3.2 or something because they don't like the bloated new UI since 5.0. They will no longer be able to use their pre microsoft release and be forced to upgrade to the bloat version. Macrumors are just creating a thread for the *****torm to follow :) Might be a good idea in case any Skype devs are cruising these forums since we can't vote with our wallet, have to vote with our flames. I personally use the latest version though :p

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
This is the thing with software today: You want to stick to an old stable version that works for you? Well you can't, you're forced to update. The new version of Skype has a bug that prevents the other party from hearing me in about 50% of calls. Restarting Skype is the only way to fix it, which is annoying as every second call I make I have to sign language the person to say I'll call them back in a minute. Microsoft isn't fixing the issue. There's nothing to do about it.

garethpauljones

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2009
It needs to be noted, Skype 6.18 requires OS X 10.9 Mavericks. While 6.15 will work as far back as Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard

Apple can't complain if Microsoft is inadvertently forcing users to upgrade to the latest version of OS X!

pdaholic

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2011
This is the thing with software today: You want to stick to an old stable version that works for you? Well you can't, you're forced to update. The new version of Skype has a bug that prevents the other party from hearing me in about 50% of calls. Restarting Skype is the only way to fix it, which is annoying as every second call I make I have to sign language the person to say I'll call them back in a minute. Microsoft isn't fixing the issue. There's nothing to do about it.

Ha, I thought there was something wrong with my internet or system. Thanks for posting about this bug!

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/

And I thought I was the only one feeling this. It's a recent trend. Everyone keeps releasing new software that has some flaws that turn people away or is downright terrible then turning on people who don't want to use it. Apple with iOS 7 and Mavericks, the Ubuntu team with the new Ubuntu versions and Unity, Mozilla with the slow Chrome-ripoff Firefox 29, and most of all, Google with Google Plus integrating with YouTube. And client-side software updates seem to be getting more and more automatic and forced, or they harass you to update a lot more.

I rarely use Firefox, but every time I do, it looks totally different than it did last time, usually the same quality or worse. Same with YouTube. Why doesn't anyone get that change is not necessarily a good thing?

Last edited:

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
Oh great :( I am not impressed.

The following is how I want my Skype setup. A simple contact list on the right of my screen, for starting quick conversations and calls.

This is Skype version 2.8. With the newer Skype versions, you cannot achieve window placement as simple as this.

Screen Shot 2014-06-21 at 5.12.33 pm.png Screen Shot 2014-06-21 at 5.12.51 pm.png

wikiverse

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
I agree. Skype 2.8 reached perfection for a chat client. Compact, floating windows that could be easily moved around your screen allowing you to multitask and txt chat with multiple people - even while on a video call with someone.

The easiest solution around being forced to upgrade is simply to abandon Skype.

I used to use Skype daily, and constantly throughout the day. I updated about 5 months ago and I think I've opened the program twice since then but haven't chatted or made a call with anyone. I send a lot more SMS/imessages and make more phone calls now so I can keep working in the background and communicate with multiple people at once.

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/
Skype 2.8's UI sounds like that of iChat/Messages, by far the best chat client software I've ever seen. It's a shame that Microsoft had to mess with it.

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
I agree. Skype 2.8 reached perfection for a chat client. Compact, floating windows that could be easily moved around your screen allowing you to multitask and txt chat with multiple people - even while on a video call with someone.

QFT. I'll go one further and say I think Apple's Messages app was a big step back from the classic iChat UI that had the same thing going on.

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
Compact, floating windows that could be easily moved around your screen allowing you to multitask and txt chat with multiple people - even while on a video call with someone.

Exactly.

I send a lot more SMS/imessages and make more phone calls now so I can keep working in the background and communicate with multiple people at once.

I really like how the Messages app looks, even with a single window. But I can make a similar window setup to my screenshot by enabling the Buddy window.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009

The following is how I want my Skype setup. A simple contact list on the right of my screen, for starting quick conversations and calls.

This is Skype version 2.8. With the newer Skype versions, you cannot achieve window placement as simple as this.

I loved that setup too, but I found a way to get something fairly similar to work with the new Skype: add all your contacts (or just your favorite ones) to Favorites (by clicking the star icon next to them), and they will always appear on the left side, like this:

Screen Shot 2014-06-21 at 11.13.56 am.jpg

nicklad

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2007
Nottingham, UK
So, is the previous release of Skype that works and will continue to work with Snow Leopard, Lion and Mountain Lion still available for download anywhere?

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
To be fair to M$, it's internet communication software - it can't afford to stand still. They probably had an extra security audit after the heartbleed thing and found too many uglies they didn't want to have to address in dozens of old releases. Supporting back to Snow Leopard is decent but not ideal. There are many older Macs capable of holding a Skype call.

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
I loved that setup too, but I found a way to get something fairly similar to work with the new Skype: add all your contacts (or just your favorite ones) to Favorites (by clicking the star icon next to them), and they will always appear on the left side, like this:

View attachment 477553

I tried that method and it seems a bit better. However I can't have a thin contact window that shows buddy names and online status, that I can put in the top right of my screen and always be visible.

I would have to rearrange my window placement workflow, which is annoying. I guess when Skype 2.8 stops working I will just settle with a regular Skype window.

There is a 'dumbed down' contacts window, however it is way too simple and just links to the main window when used.

IGregory

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2012
Why all the complaining. Skype is discontinuing support for the program. It didn't say the program will be turned off and you can't use it. 't will still work on your old machines.

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
Why all the complaining. Skype is discontinuing support for the program. It didn't say the program will be turned off and you can't use it. 't will still work on your old machines.

Computerworld said:
Microsoft clarified the situation. "Once a version is retired, users will no longer be able to sign into the retired version until they upgrade to the latest version of Skype," a Microsoft spokesperson said in an email reply to questions.

^

The-Pro

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2010
Germany

Exactly, totally agree with you on that one. I still 2.8 on many of my machines but over the last months I have noticed that its been getting problems. Skype calls dont go through, calls hang up etc. So ive slowly needed to upgrade. :(

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
I cannot believe it's 2014 and we still have ONE option when it comes to using VOIP as a full featured phone service with an assigned phone number. And that Apple came so close with iChat and then ditched it. AND, that that option, with millions of users, has been allowed by a company with all the resources in the world, Microsoft, to be reduced to utter garbage.

It boggles the mind. If I were as bad at making a product as the Skype group is, I wouldn't last a month in my industry. I guess patent strangleholds & lack of competition is how the software industry operates. Hooray for you.

Sub-saharand African countries have better options than this.

dempson

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2007
Wellington, New Zealand
So, is the previous release of Skype that works and will continue to work with Snow Leopard, Lion and Mountain Lion still available for download anywhere?

Downloading Skype for the Mac from skype.com while running OS X 10.6 - 10.8 currently gives you Skype 6.15.0.334.

I managed to grab the link:

http://download.skype.com/macosx/Skype_6.15.0.334.dmg

Once running on OS X 10.6 - 10.8, if you do a check for updates it says there aren't any.

I happen to have kept a copy of the disk image for Skype 6.17 and it requires OS X 10.9. I don't have a copy of Skype 6.16 to check, but given the web site's behaviour I expect it also requires OS X 10.9.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.