Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
Excuse me MS. How am I suppose to communicate with my friends overseas who are using Skype on their G5 and G4 Macintosh computers? We CAN'T upgrade to a newer version! Is MS dropping support for Skype for Windows XP? Thoses systems are older than my G5! Version 2.8 is the version of Skype we like best on the old G3 system.
Are they going to refund our skype in and out money we purchased in order to call land lines from our computers?

Last edited:

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Excuse me MS. How am I suppose to communicate with my friends overseas who are using Skype on their G5 and G4 Macintosh computers? We CAN'T upgrade to a newer version! Is MS dropping support for Skype for Windows XP? Thoses systems are older than my G5! Version 2.8 is the version of Skype we like best on the old G3 system.
Are they going to refund our skype in and out money we purchased in order to call land lines from our computers?

Yes, encourage your friends to use extremely outdated hardware that's running an OS that doesn't receive security updates.

You can get a 2009 Mac Mini $250 or so and get even earlier Macs a lot cheaper that will be able to run Yosemite.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
dis not gun be gud!

----------

since a lot of mac users opt to use skype 3.2 or something because they don't like the bloated new UI since 5.0. They will no longer be able to use their pre microsoft release and be forced to upgrade to the bloat version. Macrumors are just creating a thread for the *****torm to follow :) Might be a good idea in case any Skype devs are cruising these forums since we can't vote with our wallet, have to vote with our flames. I personally use the latest version though :p

You have that wrong.

If you can't persuade a company with your wallet, you can always persuade them with the amount of sign-ins and feedback.

Stop signing into Skype, when M$ looks at the sign-in requests and sees a few million in decline and then decides to actually read the feed-back, they'll hopefully put two and two together.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Stop signing into Skype, when M$ looks at the sign-in requests and sees a few million in decline and then decides to actually read the feed-back, they'll hopefully put two and two together.

I doubt it. I get the distinct feeling that Microsoft would be happiest if skype was just functional enough to keep people subscribed to it, but crappy enough that no one actually wants to use it. The more people paying for your service but not actually using the product, the more profitable.

Google "Skype sucks" or "Skype bad UI" etc, and you'll find people have been increasingly upset about the regression of the performance and UI of Skype heading sharply downhill since v2.8. MS cared enough to buy the company, but clearly does not give a toss about ruining the product. When I ask myself who benefits from VOIP being essentially dead in the water, the only thing I can come up with are Cellular providers, and the companies that kiss their butts to get their phones sold.

With the diving in of computer co's into entanglements in the phone market, it's easy to see why why Apple is now cool with SMS and Video, but all but neglects Voice from its new lineup, and MS has let Skype go to the dogs. MS shouldn't even be allowed to own skype. It's in its best interest to sabotage the product to appease the cellular providers to sell their phones. The only ones who win are... not the paying customers.

If you'd have told me in 1999 that the state of things today would be the future of voice communications, I'd have laughed in your face. It's unthinkable and inexcusable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGIY5Vyj4YM

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Damn. Version 2.8 was the last decent version for Mac. And also the last one to be able to run on PowerPC I think.

This premature dropping of support is most unlike you Microsoft. Consider me disappointed.

Floris

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands
Yeah, I read this blog entry on their site, and it's bad news. I knew they were moving everything so 2.8 would eventually be impossible to use.

But sigh, I guess it's the last time I will use skype. These new versions have huge memory leaks, bad chat syncing, online status never is correct, and connections drop way too much (something 2.8 doens't have a problem with).

Just the inability to go properly full screen, while keeping elements on the other screen etc .. it's undoable.

donstenk

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2008
The Hague
Has the latest IOS version at least fixed the battery draining issue? Quite a few of us removed Skype on iPhone 5 to solve battery issues.

Any feedback is much appreciated.

CReimer

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2006
Silicon Valley
Yes, encourage your friends to use extremely outdated hardware that's running an OS that doesn't receive security updates.

You can get a 2009 Mac Mini $250 or so and get even earlier Macs a lot cheaper that will be able to run Yosemite.

My Vintage MacBook (2008 / BLACK) is still running strong, if I don't push the CPU temperature above 185F (CPU fan dying again). Alas, being a 32-bit machine, newer software that is Snow Leopard compatible won't run on it. The writing is on the virtual wall that I need to get a replacement system this year.

jaredm1

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2009
Bucks, UK
Skype gets worse and worse. First it bothers me by telling me when it thinks someone has a birthday (I figured out how to disable that finally in the Mac version but not on the iOS version). Then the interface gets more like how Microsoft *think* people *might* wanna use it instead of focussing on simplicity and elegance.

Skype will die an ugly death within a decade at which point Microsoft will try to acquire the next upstart in that space and proceed to drive it to ruin in the decade that follows.

Not at all surprised, these weirdos are the same bunch who thought they could replace an operating system for a desktop computer with one that only supports single-window applications knowing full well that people work on documents and such side-by-side. Morons. So glad we have the likes of Apple who have long recognised that the Operating Systems for desktops/laptops needs to be distinct from tablets/phones.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
My Vintage MacBook (2008 / BLACK) is still running strong, if I don't push the CPU temperature above 185F (CPU fan dying again). Alas, being a 32-bit machine, newer software that is Snow Leopard compatible won't run on it. The writing is on the virtual wall that I need to get a replacement system this year.

2008 Macbooks are 64-bit. Only the very first generation in sold in early 2006 were 32-bit only.

techpr

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2008
San Juan, PR

Really ?

G4 G5 Macs are Museum computers by now :p

Get your friends an iPad Mini, they will do better.

koban4max

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2011
Those of you who are complaining of why this is on MR...you need to get yourself checked....this is relevant to MR...skype for apple user.

For those complaining about the new update...i really don't understand what's wrong with the new version.....have you guys even tried it?

----------

Really ?

G4 G5 Macs are Museum computers by now :p

Get your friends an iPad Mini, they will do better.

don't dis my g5 :mad:

CartoonCat

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2014
I cannot believe it's 2014 and we still have ONE option when it comes to using VOIP as a full featured phone service with an assigned phone number. And that Apple came so close with iChat and then ditched it. AND, that that option, with millions of users, has been allowed by a company with all the resources in the world, Microsoft, to be reduced to utter garbage.

It boggles the mind. If I were as bad at making a product as the Skype group is, I wouldn't last a month in my industry. I guess patent strangleholds & lack of competition is how the software industry operates. Hooray for you.

Sub-saharand African countries have better options than this.

VOIP is a threat to the cellular paradigm. There are billions of $ at stake. I'm surprised Apple and Microsoft are exploring VOIP in any form. They are certainly not interested in making it better than cellular. Not with iPhone and Windows Phone at stake. For VOIP to live up to it's potential I think it will take a Third Party without any cellular product at stake.

Johnchapin

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2008
Boulder
How many phone numbers do we need?

I wonder if in my lifetime, we can get by with just one phone number? Why one for a land line, another for a cell phone, and still another for Skype? Last I checked, Skype was having none of that :mad:

While we're at it could we get call blocking? On my cell phone I have a contact named "Junk", where I deposit all the spam incoming phone numbers. The Junk contact has an obnoxious ring tone so I know not to answer. Better yet if we could have those numbers not ring at all.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Has the latest IOS version at least fixed the battery draining issue? Quite a few of us removed Skype on iPhone 5 to solve battery issues.

Any feedback is much appreciated.
This isn't really iOS related, but that aside, why would the app need to be removed completely to deal with some sort of battery issues? Perhaps it might use up some extra battery when it's running, but otherwise it shouldn't make a difference if it's on the phone or not.

----------

Why all the complaining. Skype is discontinuing support for the program. It didn't say the program will be turned off and you can't use it. 't will still work on your old machines.
It seems like actually reading the article would explain it all.

----------

Why is this news MacRumors?
Is this news? Yes. Is it Mac/Apple related? Yes. Seems rather self-explanatory.

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/
Speak for yourself. My iMac G4 is my main work PC.

iMac G4s are great machines, better than G5s in fact due to reliability (I have lots of experience with G5s dying and G4s living). The main things that make them less useful are discontinued software like this and web sites becoming heavier. You wake up one day, and some application you used to use no longer works, or YouTube suddenly lags. It stinks because an iMac G4 should otherwise be a perfectly usable PC.

viizi

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2010
I loved that setup too, but I found a way to get something fairly similar to work with the new Skype: add all your contacts (or just your favorite ones) to Favorites (by clicking the star icon next to them), and they will always appear on the left side, like this:

View attachment 477553

I do this too :)

----------

You have that wrong.

If you can't persuade a company with your wallet, you can always persuade them with the amount of sign-ins and feedback.

unfortunately for me it is not that simple. I do a lot of business through skype.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
Oh great :( I am not impressed.

The following is how I want my Skype setup. A simple contact list on the right of my screen, for starting quick conversations and calls.

This is Skype version 2.8. With the newer Skype versions, you cannot achieve window placement as simple as this.

View attachment 477546 View attachment 477545

I dunno about you, but if no one pointed it out earlier...

screen_shot_2014_06_21_at_6_58_47_pm_by_pakaku-d7ne3il.png

The sidebar in the chat window can also be hidden. This is the latest version, and I can still set it up the same way you did.

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
I will definitely be done with Skype if I have to use the bloat version, as it's terrible.

CReimer

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2006
Silicon Valley
2008 Macbooks are 64-bit. Only the very first generation in sold in early 2006 were 32-bit only.

It's a 2006 MacBook. Not sure why I wrote 2008. That's the year I got my iPod Touch, which died this year after the battery stopped charging and I replaced it with an iPhone 5C. :)

AppliedMicro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
It's about time they shut down these rogue deprecated client versions. This allows for a better consumer experience across platforms and enable Microsoft to develop new, innovative functionality and services.

Also, we all know Skype is widely used for terrorist communication. Consolidating the client base will surely streamline access for lawful interception, thus helping government agencies like FBI, CIA, NSA in protecting people's safety and freedom (US subjects', that is).

VOIP is a threat to the cellular paradigm. There are billions of $ at stake. I'm surprised Apple and Microsoft are exploring VOIP in any form. They are certainly not interested in making it better than cellular.
I don't see why they shouldn't? If any, VOIP is a threat to traditional cellular operator's business models of selling minutes for a premium. Microsoft and Apple on the other hand aren't particularly concerned about these business models. They are primarily hardware manufacturers and suppliers of additional internet-based services - yet they are not cellular operators or internet providers. As such, they need not be greatly concerned with voice calls. Furthermore, voice call functionality offers little to no potential for product differentation or as a unique selling proposition. No one bases his purchasing decision for or against a particular handheld device (iPhone, Lumia, etc.) or platform (iOS, WP8, Android) on the quality or functionality of voice calls (which both are limited and given by networks anyway).

Though maybe people like FaceTime's (or iMessage's, for that matter) ease of use and quality - which only creates a "vendor lock-in" for Apple's own platform - obviously good for Apple.

The competition between platforms is about software and app ecosystem. As such, I don't see why they shouldn't make a play for VOIP. All it needs is an internet connection - which can also be a cellular one.
They just have to be careful not to alienate carriers not so much to stop them from selling or supporting their devices on their networks.

colourfastt

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2009
It's about time they shut down these rogue deprecated client versions. This allows for a better consumer experience across platforms and enable Microsoft to develop new, innovative functionality and services.

Also, we all know Skype is widely used for terrorist communication. Consolidating the client base will surely streamline access for lawful interception, thus helping government agencies like FBI, CIA, NSA in protecting people's safety and freedom (US subjects', that is).

I don't see why they shouldn't? If any, VOIP is a threat to traditional cellular operator's business models of selling minutes for a premium. Microsoft and Apple on the other hand aren't particularly concerned about these business models. They are primarily hardware manufacturers and suppliers of additional internet-based services - yet they are not cellular operators or internet providers. As such, they need not be greatly concerned with voice calls. Furthermore, voice call functionality offers little to no potential for product differentation or as a unique selling proposition. No one bases his purchasing decision for or against a particular handheld device (iPhone, Lumia, etc.) or platform (iOS, WP8, Android) on the quality or functionality of voice calls (which both are limited and given by networks anyway).

Though maybe people like FaceTime's (or iMessage's, for that matter) ease of use and quality - which only creates a "vendor lock-in" for Apple's own platform - obviously good for Apple.

The competition between platforms is about software and app ecosystem. As such, I don't see why they shouldn't make a play for VOIP. All it needs is an internet connection - which can also be a cellular one.
They just have to be careful not to alienate carriers not so much to stop them from selling or supporting their devices on their networks.

This is why we need the "dislike" button back.

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
I agree. Skype 2.8 reached perfection for a chat client. Compact, floating windows that could be easily moved around your screen allowing you to multitask and txt chat with multiple people - even while on a video call with someone.
Haven't you heard yet? Flexible, multi-window UIs and multitasking are sooo 2000. Monolithic, full-screen interfaces are the new thing. :p

However, good thing I stopped using Skype quite a while ago…

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.