Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kayan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2010
CA
I absolutely love Dashboard. IMO it was one of the best software implementations of its time, and still is to this day. Windows tried to copy it with their annoying widgets in Vista, but failed miserably. I kind of wish that Apple would keep developing it, but rather it seems it is getting placed on the back burner and has been there for a while. For example, they are trying to reinnovate the Notification Center for the Mac. Instead of putting it in the right side of your computer, why don't they just revamp Dashboard to become the Notification Center? That would be amazing!

I love how Dashboard is totally out of my screen when I don't use it, but when I want it, only one button away and I can see everything at once. I also love the transparent overlay so that I can look at my desktop while typing things into Post-Its, etc... I absolutely hate the idea that they made Dashboard as a separate Spaces screen. To me, that is useless. How does everyone else feel about it?

Kayan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2010
CA
I use it all of the time. I don't use it as a 2nd space either, I keep it how it was when it was announced back in 10.4 Tiger.

Nice MBP! I'm still using a 2009 MBP 17". The 1st unibody laptops and the last 17' screen. Still runs amazing for a computer this old, but I'm still planning on replacing it with a new iMac this year. The downside to the 17" is that it is too big to take too many places, but the screen is still smaller than a normal desktop, so its like having the worst of both worlds. I've still loved it though.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
That's the same 17" I use! I must say, for the worst of both worlds it still has a larger screen than my old desktop CRT from back in the day!

Fzang

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
I don't use it, and haven't done for a long time what with flash storage and all. It's simply lost its purpose, when today I can open up Windows in VMware faster than dashboard can start up on a 5400 rpm drive.

I guess the purpose was to load a lot of tiny applications that could stay in RAM, providing basic quick functionality, rather than waiting for the full application to bounce for 15 seconds.

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2013
I absolutely love Dashboard. IMO it was one of the best software implementations of its time, and still is to this day. Windows tried to copy it with their annoying widgets in Vista, but failed miserably. I kind of wish that Apple would keep developing it, but rather it seems it is getting placed on the back burner and has been there for a while. For example, they are trying to reinnovate the Notification Center for the Mac. Instead of putting it in the right side of your computer, why don't they just revamp Dashboard to become the Notification Center? That would be amazing!

I love how Dashboard is totally out of my screen when I don't use it, but when I want it, only one button away and I can see everything at once. I also love the transparent overlay so that I can look at my desktop while typing things into Post-Its, etc... I absolutely hate the idea that they made Dashboard as a separate Spaces screen. To me, that is useless. How does everyone else feel about it?

I use it (mostly for calculator), but I won't be using it when I get Yosemite with widgets in the Notification Centre.

----------

I don't use it, and haven't done for a long time what with flash storage and all. It's simply lost its purpose, when today I can open up Windows in VMware faster than dashboard can start up on a 5400 rpm drive.

I guess the purpose was to load a lot of tiny applications that could stay in RAM, providing basic quick functionality, rather than waiting for the full application to bounce for 15 seconds.

It takes around 1 second on my 5400RPM HDD.

Last iOS 5 user

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2014
Vancouver, BC
I use Dashboard only for the calculator, converter, and translator. 99% of the time it's for the calculator and converter.

I think using Dashboard all the time would make my old Mac slow so that's why I only use three widgets I actually need in my life and no more than that.

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2013
Gotta start doing that! With most apps filling the screen now, it's hard to have Calculator open where it can be seen.

I used Dashboard often for scores, but that widget is no longer supported.

I am highly looking forward to all of the widget apps on the App Store for the new Notification Centre in Yosemite. Hopefully the won't all be annoying a charge for widgets...

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
I use Dashboard all the time. From jotting down number on Stickies, to using the calculator, checking dates on the calendar, finding out world times and using iStat Pro.

I'd be devastated if they removed it, it's such an underrated feature. Sometimes I imagine how good it could be on an iPad, too!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.