Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

musiclvr

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 4, 2011
I had ordered the Delock TB Enclosure from MemoryDepot about 2 months ago and have yet to receive it. I finally had to cancel as they had no ETA for when it'd be available.

What are some options besides the Delock? Since I am getting a Samsung EVO 500GB, I'd like a wall powered unit. The Seagate adapter seems popular but unfortunately it is bus powered. Not sure why it's so difficult to find a wall powered TB enclosure.

Or does anyone know where else I can get the Delock for a reasonable price?

Nuke61

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2013
Columbia, SC
I had ordered the Delock TB Enclosure from MemoryDepot about 2 months ago and have yet to receive it. I finally had to cancel as they had no ETA for when it'd be available.

What are some options besides the Delock? Since I am getting a Samsung EVO 500GB, I'd like a wall powered unit. The Seagate adapter seems popular but unfortunately it is bus powered. Not sure why it's so difficult to find a wall powered TB enclosure.

Or does anyone know where else I can get the Delock for a reasonable price?

I have no idea whether it's a reasonable price, but take a look: http://www.amazon.com/Delock-External-SATA-Thunderbolt-Converter/dp/B00HESVYCE

I have a 500 GB EVO in a Buffalo MiniStation Thunderbolt, but it's over twice the Delock price (but it comes with spinning disk) : http://www.buffalotech.com/products...portable-hard-drives/ministation-thunderbolt/

As an FYI, my bus powered Buffalo works great.

Spudhead

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2013
I have no idea whether it's a reasonable price, but take a look: http://www.amazon.com/Delock-External-SATA-Thunderbolt-Converter/dp/B00HESVYCE

I have a 500 GB EVO in a Buffalo MiniStation Thunderbolt, but it's over twice the Delock price (but it comes with spinning disk) : http://www.buffalotech.com/products...portable-hard-drives/ministation-thunderbolt/

As an FYI, my bus powered Buffalo works great.

How easy are the buffalo units to open up and put your own drive in? thanks.

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
I like the LaCie "Rugged" Thunderbolt/USB3 enclosures which can be purchased as "refurbs" with a 1TB hard disk fairly cheaply. They are easy to open (4 screws) and replace the hard disk with a SSD within the power limits of a bus powered enclosure (generally 256GB max for older high power SSDs such as the M4 and 840 Pro series).

The current 500GB SSD model does have a 840 EVO SSD in it, so that would be within the acceptable power limitations.

This enclosure works well with OS X and will boot Windows on a Mac using Thunderbolt (I haven't tried the USB3 with Windows).

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan

Thanks for posting this because I have been pointing to the MemoryDepot site every time I recommend the Delock 42490. I'll stop pointing people there.

As Nuke61 mentioned, it is available for $98 +$6.75 shipping from Amazon.com and that would still be far less than I paid for mine here in Japan.

I really love the device and can only guess from MemoryDepot's problems that it is in high demand.

----------

I have a Buffalo HD-PATU3 TB enclosure, and it's not too hard. Just a hairdryer or a heat gun, knife, time and a list of profanities ready by your side will do the job :)

LOL!

Yeah, doable and easy are clearly not the same. The Delock even ships with a screwdriver for the 4 screws you secure the SSD onto the circuit board with and then the 2 screws that hold the cover after sliding it into the enclosure. :)

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
Thanks for posting this because I have been pointing to the MemoryDepot site every time I recommend the Delock 42490. I'll stop pointing people there.

I really love the device and can only guess from MemoryDepot's problems that it is in high demand.

Haha ... they probably can't keep them in stock ever since you started recommending everyone here get them ... you should get a commission! :) :) :)

Pipper99

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
I got a Lacie 500 gb Ruggend Thunderbolt SSD a couple of days ago for $500 from Amazon, and I'm only just now learning about buying an internal SSD and putting it in an enclosure to use as an external boot drive. What is the difference in cost after I buy everything that I need for the second option? It looks like I could save about $200 by going with a Samsung 500gb SSD and Delock enclosure.

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
Haha ... they probably can't keep them in stock ever since you started recommending everyone here get them ... you should get a commission! :) :) :)

I'm for that. :D

Come to think of it, Tragant (manufacturer of the Delock) should probably send me a commission too. :D :D

It is strange that the Delock doesn't seem to be more widely available in the states.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.