Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's manufacturing partners are gearing up for the launch of new iOS devices later this year, with primary partner Foxconn bringing on 100,000 new workers to help assemble the iPhone 6, reports Taiwan's Economic Daily News [Google Translate] as picked up by Reuters.
Hon Hai Precision Industry will recruit over 100,000 people in mainland China to produce the newest iPhone from Apple Inc, Taiwan's Economic Daily News said, in what the report called the firm's largest single hiring spree in China.
iphone6partleaks.jpg
Supposed front panel and manufacturing mold for larger iPhone 6
Pegatron is reportedly also involved in iPhone 6 production, with early reports on Pegatron's production share ranging from 15% to 50%, but today's report and other recent ones have put Pegatron's share at closer to 30%. According to today's report, Pegatron is boosting its workforce by 30% to support production of the next iPhone. The company made a similar hiring surge last year in support of its role as the primary assembler for the iPhone 5c.

The timing of these hiring surges is about right for the rumored iPhone 6 schedule, with production reportedly set to ramp up next month ahead of a launch around the usual September timeframe. Most of the iPhone 6 attention has focused on a rumored 4.7-inch model that is expected to represent the bulk of sale, but Apple is said to also be working on an even larger 5.5-inch model that may launch alongside or in the months following the debut of the 4.7-inch model.

Article Link: Foxconn Hiring Record 100,000 New Employees for iPhone 6 Production as Pegatron Also Staffs Up

sethlution

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2011
I flinch a little every time I see that huge bezel at the top. I mean sure the bottom part is necessary to accommodate touch ID, but why keep that huge area at the top? just for symmetry? :confused:

thaifood

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2011
That is a staggering number of people they can mobilise and bring in for mass production. Wow

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
I flinch a little every time I see that huge bezel at the top. I mean sure the bottom part is necessary to accommodate touch ID, but why keep that huge area at the top? just for symmetry? :confused:

For symmetry. You can hold your iPhone left or right and the screen will always be in the exact same area relative to your thumbs.

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
Why would they have to hire a 100,000 new workers? Wouldn't the existing workers on the iPhone 5 and 5s lines be sufficient to cover production moving to iPhone 6? Or is Apple counting on a mega explosion of sales in a somewhat saturated market (in the West)?

jwbrobst

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2014
For symmetry. You can hold your iPhone left or right and the screen will always be in the exact same area relative to your thumbs.

That's actually a really good point not at all referencing the aesthetics for such a controversial design choice. Good work.

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2013
Why would they have to hire a 100,000 new workers? Wouldn't the existing workers on the iPhone 5 and 5s lines be sufficient to cover production moving to iPhone 6? Or is Apple counting on a mega explosion of sales in a somewhat saturated market (in the West)?

maybe to help with the iWatch production also.

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
100,000 more employees sounds excessive, even for China standards. It's funny, we are all worried that robots will someday take all of our jobs. In China, it's actually cheaper to use human labor to do such things as put the final pieces of the phone together/packaging/etc. The cost of keeping that many robots online is much more than paying these poor saps a very minimum wage. To keep this post apolitical, I'll stop here.

Xeperu

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2010
I remmende this forum going bonkers ober the fact that a competing brand was bringing out larger screen size phones and that they would NEVER want a large iPhone, because glorious Steve said 4" was big enough. And they rest of the world was stupid, and that they never wanted a bigger iPhone because it was stupid and Steve said so.

And here we have. And I bet a larger screen size will be seen as innovative :p.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
I've heard this before... for every iPhone launch in recent history.

Has it ever been verified though? Do they actually hire all these extra people?

hamakiman

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2009
Nice Employment Boost

Ahhhh an American company responsible for employing a 100,000 Chinese makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
Ahhhh an American company responsible for employing a 100,000 Chinese makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.

Lol at that. I would be more than happy to pay slightly more for an American made iPhone.

Parts are looking great and I say keep em coming. As far as the top bezel... sure it would be great if they shrunk it but the earpiece, flash, and other sensors need to be placed some where.

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
I remmende this forum going bonkers ober the fact that a competing brand was bringing out larger screen size phones and that they would NEVER want a large iPhone, because glorious Steve said 4" was big enough. And they rest of the world was stupid, and that they never wanted a bigger iPhone because it was stupid and Steve said so.

And here we have. And I bet a larger screen size will be seen as innovative :p.

Just as innovative as your comment, which was posted in every single thread related to the iPhone 5 two years ago, and now all over again with the iPhone 6.

Oh, and if you're going to play fanboy cop, at least get it right- Steve thought 3.5" was the perfect size.

icolove

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2012
Just as innovative as your comment, which was posted in every single thread related to the iPhone 5 two years ago, and now all over again with the iPhone 6.

Oh, and if you're going to play fanboy cop, at least get it right- Steve thought 3.5" was the perfect size.

Well, like most everything Apple, people are just waiting to be told what to like. ;)

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2013
Lol at that. I would be more than happy to pay slightly more for an American made iPhone.

I would too but I think that the iPhone would be a lot more not just slightly more if it was made here.

----------

Damn, that huge ugly bezel. Same for 8 years. This is Forstall-like in the lack of innovation.

are you really saying that bezel size is innovation?

even if there wasn't a single bezel on the entire phone i don't think it would be classified as an innovative feature.

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
Wow. Suddenly hiring 100,000 people - SKILLED and RELIABLE people, suddenly, to build one thing, is impressive to say the least. I can't even imagine how that could ever happen in the US. I can't even imagine 10,000 in the US. I can't even begin to speculate how different things are over there for the conditions to allow such a thing. Maybe people who have been there can understand. I cannot understand.

Teste

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2011
Or is Apple counting on a mega explosion of sales in a somewhat saturated market (in the West)?

There was a recent market study showing that the great majority of the iPhone owners suffer something the study called, more or less, "hidden size envy" - the feeling that what they have is too small and the lack of courage to admit it. The study thinks a bigger iPhone would sell incredibly well to that crowd.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.