Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jun 22, 2014, 11:43 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Foxconn Hiring Record 100,000 New Employees for iPhone 6 Production as Pegatron Also Staffs Up

Apple's manufacturing partners are gearing up for the launch of new iOS devices later this year, with primary partner Foxconn bringing on 100,000 new workers to help assemble the iPhone 6, reports Taiwan's Economic Daily News [Google Translate] as picked up by Reuters.
Quote:
Hon Hai Precision Industry will recruit over 100,000 people in mainland China to produce the newest iPhone from Apple Inc, Taiwan's Economic Daily News said, in what the report called the firm's largest single hiring spree in China.
Supposed front panel and manufacturing mold for larger iPhone 6
Pegatron is reportedly also involved in iPhone 6 production, with early reports on Pegatron's production share ranging from 15% to 50%, but today's report and other recent ones have put Pegatron's share at closer to 30%. According to today's report, Pegatron is boosting its workforce by 30% to support production of the next iPhone. The company made a similar hiring surge last year in support of its role as the primary assembler for the iPhone 5c.

The timing of these hiring surges is about right for the rumored iPhone 6 schedule, with production reportedly set to ramp up next month ahead of a launch around the usual September timeframe. Most of the iPhone 6 attention has focused on a rumored 4.7-inch model that is expected to represent the bulk of sale, but Apple is said to also be working on an even larger 5.5-inch model that may launch alongside or in the months following the debut of the 4.7-inch model.

Article Link: Foxconn Hiring Record 100,000 New Employees for iPhone 6 Production as Pegatron Also Staffs Up
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2014, 11:45 PM   #2
sethlution
macrumors regular

I flinch a little every time I see that huge bezel at the top. I mean sure the bottom part is necessary to accommodate touch ID, but why keep that huge area at the top? just for symmetry?
sethlution is offline   16 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2014, 11:45 PM   #3
osaga
macrumors 6502

Even the employees are like WTF's up with these bezels?
osaga is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2014, 11:49 PM   #4
luckydcxx
macrumors 6502a

i flinch every time i see those fingernails.

http://youtu.be/eywi0h_Y5_U
luckydcxx is offline   30 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2014, 11:50 PM   #5
thaifood
macrumors 6502

That is a staggering number of people they can mobilise and bring in for mass production. Wow
thaifood is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2014, 11:52 PM   #6
furi0usbee
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckydcxx View Post
i flinch every time i see those fingernails.
And 100-1 those are some guy's nails. For some reason, all men who take pictures with Apple products have very long nails. Don't know why.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 11:52 PM   #7
Pakaku
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethlution View Post
I flinch a little every time I see that huge bezel at the top. I mean sure the bottom part is necessary to accommodate touch ID, but why keep that huge area at the top? just for symmetry?
For symmetry. You can hold your iPhone left or right and the screen will always be in the exact same area relative to your thumbs.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 11:53 PM   #8
AngerDanger
macrumors 65816

Yes, I can't wait for even more leaked parts!
AngerDanger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2014, 11:54 PM   #9
mtneer
macrumors 65816

Why would they have to hire a 100,000 new workers? Wouldn't the existing workers on the iPhone 5 and 5s lines be sufficient to cover production moving to iPhone 6? Or is Apple counting on a mega explosion of sales in a somewhat saturated market (in the West)?
mtneer is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2014, 11:55 PM   #10
marshallbedsaul
macrumors 6502a

Scrapped or legit parts
marshallbedsaul is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2014, 11:57 PM   #11
jwbrobst
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pakaku View Post
For symmetry. You can hold your iPhone left or right and the screen will always be in the exact same area relative to your thumbs.
That's actually a really good point not at all referencing the aesthetics for such a controversial design choice. Good work.
jwbrobst is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2014, 11:58 PM   #12
luckydcxx
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtneer View Post
Why would they have to hire a 100,000 new workers? Wouldn't the existing workers on the iPhone 5 and 5s lines be sufficient to cover production moving to iPhone 6? Or is Apple counting on a mega explosion of sales in a somewhat saturated market (in the West)?
maybe to help with the iWatch production also.

luckydcxx is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2014, 11:59 PM   #13
SJism23
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Or is Apple counting on a mega explosion of sales in a somewhat saturated market (in the West)?
Well, they've had record-breaking quarters year after year.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 11:59 PM   #14
furi0usbee
macrumors 6502a

100,000 more employees sounds excessive, even for China standards. It's funny, we are all worried that robots will someday take all of our jobs. In China, it's actually cheaper to use human labor to do such things as put the final pieces of the phone together/packaging/etc. The cost of keeping that many robots online is much more than paying these poor saps a very minimum wage. To keep this post apolitical, I'll stop here.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 11:59 PM   #15
Xeperu
macrumors 6502

I remmende this forum going bonkers ober the fact that a competing brand was bringing out larger screen size phones and that they would NEVER want a large iPhone, because glorious Steve said 4" was big enough. And they rest of the world was stupid, and that they never wanted a bigger iPhone because it was stupid and Steve said so.

And here we have. And I bet a larger screen size will be seen as innovative .
Old Jun 23, 2014, 12:04 AM   #16
Thisclassyman
macrumors newbie

great, 100,000 more people that'll leak parts
Thisclassyman is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2014, 12:04 AM   #17
Michael Scrip
macrumors 68020

I've heard this before... for every iPhone launch in recent history.

Has it ever been verified though? Do they actually hire all these extra people?
Michael Scrip is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2014, 12:17 AM   #18
hamakiman
macrumors newbie

Nice Employment Boost

Ahhhh an American company responsible for employing a 100,000 Chinese makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.
hamakiman is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2014, 12:22 AM   #19
AFDoc
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamakiman View Post
Ahhhh an American company responsible for employing a 100,000 Chinese makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.
Lol at that. I would be more than happy to pay slightly more for an American made iPhone.

Parts are looking great and I say keep em coming. As far as the top bezel... sure it would be great if they shrunk it but the earpiece, flash, and other sensors need to be placed some where.
AFDoc is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2014, 12:22 AM   #20
Tubamajuba
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeperu View Post
I remmende this forum going bonkers ober the fact that a competing brand was bringing out larger screen size phones and that they would NEVER want a large iPhone, because glorious Steve said 4" was big enough. And they rest of the world was stupid, and that they never wanted a bigger iPhone because it was stupid and Steve said so.

And here we have. And I bet a larger screen size will be seen as innovative .
Just as innovative as your comment, which was posted in every single thread related to the iPhone 5 two years ago, and now all over again with the iPhone 6.

Oh, and if you're going to play fanboy cop, at least get it right- Steve thought 3.5" was the perfect size.
Tubamajuba is offline   33 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2014, 12:26 AM   #21
icolove
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubamajuba View Post
Just as innovative as your comment, which was posted in every single thread related to the iPhone 5 two years ago, and now all over again with the iPhone 6.

Oh, and if you're going to play fanboy cop, at least get it right- Steve thought 3.5" was the perfect size.
Well, like most everything Apple, people are just waiting to be told what to like.
icolove is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2014, 12:28 AM   #22
iChrist
macrumors 65816

Damn, that huge ugly bezel. Same for 8 years. This is Forstall-like in the lack of innovation.

Old Jun 23, 2014, 12:30 AM   #23
luckydcxx
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFDoc View Post
Lol at that. I would be more than happy to pay slightly more for an American made iPhone.
I would too but I think that the iPhone would be a lot more not just slightly more if it was made here.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by iChrist View Post
Damn, that huge ugly bezel. Same for 8 years. This is Forstall-like in the lack of innovation.
are you really saying that bezel size is innovation?

even if there wasn't a single bezel on the entire phone i don't think it would be classified as an innovative feature.

luckydcxx is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2014, 12:32 AM   #24
iolinux333
macrumors 68000

Wow. Suddenly hiring 100,000 people - SKILLED and RELIABLE people, suddenly, to build one thing, is impressive to say the least. I can't even imagine how that could ever happen in the US. I can't even imagine 10,000 in the US. I can't even begin to speculate how different things are over there for the conditions to allow such a thing. Maybe people who have been there can understand. I cannot understand.
iolinux333 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2014, 12:43 AM   #25
Teste
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Or is Apple counting on a mega explosion of sales in a somewhat saturated market (in the West)?
There was a recent market study showing that the great majority of the iPhone owners suffer something the study called, more or less, "hidden size envy" - the feeling that what they have is too small and the lack of courage to admit it. The study thinks a bigger iPhone would sell incredibly well to that crowd.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion