Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Microsoft today announced several changes to its OneDrive cloud storage services, starting with a massive increase to 1 TB of storage for all Office 365 subscription plans. This expanded storage will be will be automatically added to existing Home, Personal, University or Business subscribers starting in July. While the 1TB feature is new for Home, Personal, and University users, this upgrade previously was announced for Office 365 Business subscribers.

office-365-plans.jpg
Today, OneDrive and Office are announcing a BIG change to that benefit for consumers, to the tune of 1 TB per user. That's right-we're increasing the OneDrive storage allotment included with Office 365 Home, Office 365 Personal, and Office 365 University from 20 GB to 1 TB. That's a whopping 50 times, or 5,000 percent increase in storage-and it's going to be here before classes are in session!
For OneDrive users who are not Office 365 subscribers, Microsoft has also sweetened the deal by boosting the free storage allotment from 7 GB to 15 GB. Prices for additional storage plans also are being slashed by 70 percent, with new monthly prices starting at $1.99 for 100 GB (previously $7.49) and $3.99 for 200 GB (previously $11.49).

This Cloud storage expansion is one of several recent initiatives that encourage consumers to use Microsoft's Office platform. Earlier this year, Microsoft brought its Office suite to the iPad with tablet-friendly versions of Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. The Redmond company also introduced a new Personal Office 365 subscription plan for individuals and a Home plan for families that complement its multi-user business subscriptions.

Apple is of course also expanding its cloud storage services alongside iOS 8 and OS X Yosemite with the launch of iCloud Drive. Apple has yet to announce full details on iCloud Drive pricing, but at a minimum it includes options at 5 GB for free, 20 GB for $0.99/month, and 200 GB for $3.99/month, with higher tiers also available.

Article Link: Microsoft Boosts OneDrive Cloud Storage to 1TB for Office 365 Subscribers, 15GB Free for All

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I have 30 GB with my current subscription, so I get an additional 970 GB (or 980 since 10 of that was free and promotions)?! :eek:

Time for Apple to up the base 5GB.

Either way, it's a win win for consumers and the NSA.

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/
Apple and Dropbox, please do the same. I'm not going to use Office 365 or any version of Office after 2008 anyway.

Last edited:

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
It's a nice gimmick but I'm still sticking with iCloud all the way. It just works. OneDrive has too many issues for me and their privacy and terms and conditions are insane.

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/
As Steve Jobs said, Dropbox will be commoditised very soon.

I hope so, but so far, nobody has come close to the simplicity of Dropbox. All these other services have limitations all over the place. Also, the Dropbox accounts made before it was extremely popular let users get direct links to their public files, and you could even host a website on one of those. I've got two :D

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
And Dropbox digs themselves further into a hole with their insane prices in the face of their competitors dropping prices and/or giving much more storage of the money.

I've switched to Google Drive back in March when my Dropbox sub was up, and haven't looked back. I've seen ZERO change in what I was doing with Dropbox that Google Drive can't.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
It's a nice gimmick but I'm still sticking with iCloud all the way. It just works. OneDrive has too many issues for me and their privacy and terms and conditions are insane.

That's what I think about both iCloud and OneDrive. I mean why can't I store/access files like Dropbox on iCloud? Seems kind of silly to not offer that.

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/
That's what I think about both iCloud and OneDrive. I mean why can't I store/access files like Dropbox on iCloud? Seems kind of silly to not offer that.

Agreed. And Google Drive is ridiculously unreliable and has weird limitations for uploading and downloading files. Plus that stupid downloading system where it takes a few minutes to zip all your files then emails you when it's ready, unlike Dropbox, which is instant. I just want Dropbox to give us more storage.

sputnikv

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2009
wasn't the new mac office rumored to be coming out a few months ago? i wondered when we'll see it

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
I hope Apple re-examines the landscape between now and the release of iOS 8 and adjusts their iCloud storage offerings accordingly.

5 GB for free has always been laughable and will only become more laughable as time goes on. They need to at least give you the amount of space of each of your iOS devices in iCloud storage for free. 32 GB iPhone and 64 GB iPad on your Apple account should get you 96 GB of iCloud storage for free. Then, they should offer additional storage in 100 GB increments for $10.00 per 100 GB per year. Easy pricing structure and they still make more money than Microsoft on cloud storage.

Apple can play the huge profit margin game when it comes to hardware and I'll gladly pay the "Apple Tax" because I believe they make the best hardware on the market. However, storage and bandwidth are not high-priced commodities any longer. If I can get 1 TB with Microsoft for $70 a year, I would hope Apple would try to complete with that in some way.

DynaFXD

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
East Coast
And of course it doesn't work with a Office 365 account. There is a "work around" though. :rolleyes:
Out of curiosity, what is a "Office 365" account? It lists various Office 365 plans in the article. What is the difference of which you speak?

Thanks

nottoosmart

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2014
Anyone know

1. about one drive upload speeds and sync errors?

2. whether they have started allowing folder upload from the web access?

I have tried to use one drive back with it was skydrive and when it would not allow upload of folders from the web that made it a nonstarter.

I like dropbox for it's ubiquity but I have real issues with the cost per GB now that the others are looking like 1TB for 100/year is going to be the standard.

I like google drive for the price but upload speeds are horrible for large files. I uploaded a 1 GB video file and it took seemingly a full day to upload. I thought it was just me but a quick search in their own forums showed this was a prevalent issue.

innominato5090

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2009
This is fantastic! My OneDrive doesn't show the new tiers yet, though… does anyone know when they are going to be rolled out?

foobi

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2012
Awesome news. Apple should release the new cloud price/plans now and offer some deals. (I know, against apples way of doing things)

DynaFXD

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
East Coast
1 TB, a "Gimmick"? I have iCloud, DropBox, and OneDrive accounts. They all do their own thing very well. My iCloud is mostly for backing up all our devices. OneDrive is great for easily syncing Office and other documents through my Win8 machines and myriad of iOS devices. DropBox does some inter app syncing well (Datavault). They all "just work" very well on iOS devices. Why limit yourself? As far as terms and conditions, they all have those and anything I _really_ care about or is super sensitive is backed up at work/home and never sees a cloud drive, unless it is encrypted and duplicated at home base. So don't really care about those.

Between Office for iOS and this nice bump in storage, I gotta give MS an atta-boy here.

flash84x

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2011
I was shocked when Apple didn't announce an increase in the 5GB free tier at WWDC.

One of the biggest complaints I hear from iPhone users is that they constantly are getting messages that their iCloud storage is full.

At the very least I expected they would say the camera roll is unlimited, if Flickr can offer 1TB of free storage, you can do better than 5GB Apple. I'll pay for the 200GB tier myself, but I am sick of explaining to people not willing to pay the extra fee that they need to jump through hoops to free up storage so their backup can run.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Sure, let's feed all files and data directly into the NSA datacenter, ...

thanks, but no thanks, ...

If you don't want your files to be scanned by anybody, don't put them online. All companies comply with the law of the land, don't be fooled into thinking otherwise.

Edit: Not that the USA law would affect you anyway. Microsoft is fighting against email from another country being able to be accessed by the NSA. Why do you think they wouldn't fight for other files as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.