Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
iCloud's online storage in Yosemite seems to work more like Dropbox - hopefully when it goes Apple will also announce an increase in free capacity

I don't really understand iCloud Drive. I use Dropbox as a sort of virtual memory stick for keeping documents and files I DON'T want to exist physically on my laptop because I don't need regular access to them. iCloud Drive seems to save your documents and then physically store them on your Mac as well as in the Drive (albeit, keeping them synced), this is different to Dropbox which gives you the option of having the Dropbox folder installed on your computer or not.

I'd be happy to switch to iCloud Drive but if it's going to force me to store the files I put in it on my computer, it's of no interest to me.

RedBanana

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2011
For the people complaining about DropBox being too expensive, it's important to remember that they don't have lucrative 'main businesses' to subsidise cloud storage as a sweetner for another product.

But it is, just compare it to the price of iDrive: https://www.idrive.com/pricing.htm

I think Dropbox is expensive because it is the first option people think of and a good percentage don't look around, they can charge that price.

chiefsilverback

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2011
That's true, but it's not the consumer's job, nor should it be, to concern themselves with the competitive challenges faced by a company.
True, but it is the consumers role to decide what they're prepared to pay for. Does the quality of the Drop Box product make it worth the premium? Everybody is saying how much better DropBox is than the competitors and as we say in England, you can't always have your cake and eat it, so do you pay the premium or go for a lesser service...

Ferrari don't drop the price of their cars just because the Corvette is much cheaper.

Now whether this is a sustainable business model for DropBox is another topic entirely and likely hood is the average user is too fickle and more interest in cost than quality so they'll accept the compromises of the lesser service for more cash in their pocket. What happens to DropBox then is anyone's guess!

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
5 GB for free has always been laughable and will only become more laughable as time goes on. They need to at least give you the amount of space of each of your iOS devices in iCloud storage for free. 32 GB iPhone and 64 GB iPad on your Apple account should get you 96 GB of iCloud storage for free.

while i agree 5gb is too small, a 1:1 on total device size is overkill. why? apps dont count against your icloud usage. nor do itunes purchases. so a bunch of what you have on your device is already in apple's cloud and only needs to be re-downloaded when you do a restore.

the 5gb is mostly used by your documents, photos and videos.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Technically, Apple gives you unlimited amount of storage for music and videos and books through iTunes Match for $25/year and that also includes ad free iTunes Radio. So the free 5Gig is just for Pages, Numbers, Keynote and iDevice backup. I agree that even here 5 Gig is a bit small. I have a Time Machine so I have all my backups there (although I would like to have an offsite backup as well). I usually do not keep too many documents on the cloud, just what I am actively working on. So I am actually okay with the 5Gig for now, but if they offered something that would integrate with Time Machine to extend my local backup to a cloud backup, I think that would be awesome. For those that do a lot of collaboration and those that prefer to have everything on the Cloud (and exposed to the NSA and Google), having more free storage from Apple would be good I guess.

I've been backing up my iPhone and iPad to iCloud for at least the past 12 months and I don't see any reason why I would go back to syncing those devices with iTunes on my Mac.

The *only* reason I had to buy additional iCloud storage was to accommodate the backups of both my 32 GB iPhone and my 16 GB iPad. That's asinine. Apple should not encourage us to backup our devices to iCloud but not include the storage to do so in the price we pay for the devices.

BigHonkingDeal

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2009
Fort Pierce
But it is, just compare it to the price of iDrive: https://www.idrive.com/pricing.htm

I think Dropbox is expensive because it is the first option people think of and a good percentage don't look around, they can charge that price.

What do people need this vast amount of cloud storage for? I have had a DropBox account for years and never paid a penny for additional storage.....

I have about 1.5 GB of files that I want to access mobile on the DropBox drive and over 20GB of Music that I store with Google music for free...

Everything else I store on a 2 TB backup drive connected to my local network.

That plus streaming SlingBox, Netflix, Pandora etc...... problem solved.

steve-p

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2008
Newbury, UK
What do people need this vast amount of cloud storage for? I have had a DropBox account for years and never paid a penny for additional storage.....

I have about 1.5 GB of files that I want to access mobile on the DropBox drive and over 20GB of Music that I store with Google music for free...

Everything else I store on a 2 TB backup drive connected to my local network.

That plus streaming SlingBox, Netflix, Pandora etc...... problem solved.
Your problem is not solved at all if your house burns down and your only backup is lost. Some people need an offsite copy of the stuff they care about, without having to cart external drives around, and cloud services like Dropbox are ideal for that.

sputnikv

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2009
for people comparing apple's upcoming cloud drive service to this and google, remember that photos for one won't count towards your total

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
while i agree 5gb is too small, a 1:1 on total device size is overkill.

I think 1:1 based on total device size is the way to go. Buy devices with more on-board storage, get more iCloud storage. It's the only really "fair" way to give your customers "free" storage.

Plus, I think when we're seeing Apple's competitors giving customers 1 TB of cloud storage for less than $100 per year, the word "overkill" should not even be in Apple's vocabulary when it comes to the subject of cloud storage.

heehee

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2006
Same country as Santa Claus
Out of curiosity, what is a "Office 365" account? It lists various Office 365 plans in the article. What is the difference of which you speak?

Thanks

The Office 365 is a work or school account, OneDrive requires a Microsoft account (e.g. live, hotmail or outlook account), which makes no sense to me.

https://community.office365.com/en-us/f/153/t/224288.aspx

Edit: Found out it's OneDrive business is not compatible for Macs. But pay the same amount of money.

https://onedrive.live.com/about/en-us/download/

Last edited:

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
If you don't want your files to be scanned by anybody, don't put them online. All companies comply with the law of the land, don't be fooled into thinking otherwise.

Edit: Not that the USA law would affect you anyway. Microsoft is fighting against email from another country being able to be accessed by the NSA. Why do you think they wouldn't fight for other files as well.

Exactly, you can't have any real expectation of privacy when you upload files to offsite servers. That said, I still trust Apple more than google or Microsoft.

OneDrive is nice, but it has issues. E.G file naming limitations, 2GB file size limit, etc.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
The Office 365 is a work or school account, OneDrive requires a Microsoft account (e.g. live, hotmail or outlook account), which makes no sense to me.

https://community.office365.com/en-us/f/153/t/224288.aspx

According to Microsoft, it should work. It won't yet, though, because it isn't out yet. The thing you could say is that there is no OneDrive for Business yet for OSX, which is true. But when it rolls out, you should get the extra storage according to Microsoft.

----------

Exactly, you can't have any real expectation of privacy when you upload files to offsite servers. That said, I still trust Apple more than google or Microsoft.

OneDrive is nice, but it has issues. E.G file naming limitations, 2GB file size limit, etc.

I don't trust any single company more than the others.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
For the people complaining about DropBox being too expensive, it's important to remember that they don't have lucrative 'main businesses' to subsidise cloud storage as a sweetner for another product.

That's true... but I wish Dropbox would at least offer some other plans.

I don't need 100GB... but I obviously need more than the 2GB free plan. They don't have anything in between.

I wish they offered 50GB for $50 a year. (but that still seems crazy considering the prices from other companies)

I've got clients and friends already set up with Dropbox shared folders so we can move files back and forth. I don't really wanna switch everyone to another service.

I can certainly afford the $100 a year for Dropbox... it's just the principle of the matter.

jeremydc

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2013
I've been a OneDrive user for a few months now. The interrelation of OneDrive and 365 mobile on my IPhone is amazing. My university offers 365 so this is awesome. My 365 account is added to my regular OneDrive account. I think the extra Tb will go into effect next month. Give me Office for Mac and I will by a Macbook no questions asked!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.