Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
I currently have my single 1.8 G5 running with 8x512 sticks of PC3200 ram, which I understand to be the correct ram for this particular computer.

I was digging through one of my favorite boneyards today and came across a single 1gb stick of PC3200. I asked if there were any more around(since I know that DDR ram really should be installed in pairs) and was lead to a cache of PC4200 ram.

I managed to pull out 8 1gb sticks of DDR-2 PC4200.

Naturally, I'm wondering if I can use these in my G5. Is it like putting PC133 in a PC100 system, in that the ram just won't run any faster than the computer will allow it-or am I asking for trouble if I put this in my G5?

Thanks

reco2011

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2014
I currently have my single 1.8 G5 running with 8x512 sticks of PC3200 ram, which I understand to be the correct ram for this particular computer.

I was digging through one of my favorite boneyards today and came across a single 1gb stick of PC3200. I asked if there were any more around(since I know that DDR ram really should be installed in pairs) and was lead to a cache of PC4200 ram.

Naturally, I'm wondering if I can use these in my G5. Is it like putting PC133 in a PC100 system, in that the ram just won't run any faster than the computer will allow it-or am I asking for trouble if I put this in my G5?

Thanks

DDR2 will not work with DDR based systems. In fact it won't even physically fit.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
For some reason I had it in my head that all the G5s are DDR2, but I see that the earlier ones are in fact DDR.

Thanks-back to the boneyard it goes, and hopefully someone else will be able to get some use out of it.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
One model of G5s use DDR2, and those are the late 2005 ones (dual cores with PCIe slots). I feel your pain. I have PCs I'd like to get more ram into, but they are DDR and all the ram sticks I have ard DDR2.

Well, I took the ram back to the guy who gave it to me, and he didn't want it back...so with that in mind I'll just hold onto it. Maybe I'll end up with a dual core G5 or even a quad one of these days, and will find a use for it then.

reco2011

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2014
Well, I took the ram back to the guy who gave it to me, and he didn't want it back...so with that in mind I'll just hold onto it. Maybe I'll end up with a dual core G5 or even a quad one of these days, and will find a use for it then.

Perhaps you can post to Craigs List to trade a few of the DDR2 modules for DDR modules?

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland

Thanks

By the way G5s must have it installed in pairs not should.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.