Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

50L

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 2, 2014
2chnecm.jpg

After 50 restarts I got a good working computer for a few minutes.

Is this a problem with the video card and how to solve it?

:(

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
GPU is dying - nothing can be done except replace the logic board, which is not an inexpensive proposition :(

50L

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 2, 2014
what I tried :

PR reset : nothing changed

safe mode : green lines have disapeared for 2 minutes when loading but now are back. after starting I was able to use this computer only has a small red line in the screen.

Now my question, how style is my laptop?:(

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
what I tried :

safe mode : green lines have disapeared for 2 minutes when loading but now are back. after starting I was able to use this computer only has a small red line in the screen.

on the bright side, your data is fine. You can use target disk mode or take out the hard drive and get your data.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
what I tried :

Your GPU is likely dying. Your data's safe, but it's not likely to get any better.

Your computer is 7 years old, that's quite a bit. Most laptops don't last that long.

IMO, it's not worth repairing due to its age, but that's me.

JoelTheSuperior

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2014
I along with every single other person who was unfortunate enough to own a 2007 MacBook Pro seems to have been affected by this problem.

Essentially yes, the motherboard is dead.

My recommendation would be to replace the MacBook but if you don't mind taking a screwdriver and a lot of patience to it you can often find replacement motherboards for it on eBay for a fairly reasonable amount. Just do keep in mind it's a known issue with this model and it'll almost certainly reappear given enough time.

If you're wondering what option I went with - essentially both. Got a new motherboard for the machine and gave it to my mother, then bought myself a new MacBook Pro.

50L

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 2, 2014
Isnt there some trick around?

Like putting the logic board in a heat oven?

i already used 2 macbooks after this one but now I"m active here on macrumors I want to try and fix this old one

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Isnt there some trick around?

Like putting the logic board in a heat oven?

Some folks have baked their logic boards to revive them but it seems to be a temporary solution.

Personally, if be shopping for a replacement.

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009
I had the same problem with the same machine a few years ago. It was a known problem, Apple replaced my logic board, and everything went back to normal.

Unfortunately, the extended replacement period is over now, so you're looking at an expensive logic board replacement, or a new machine. Even the lowest end MBA will be much faster than this machine, and potentially cheaper than the logic board replacement, so I would recommend the latter.

There's the "baking the logic board" solution, which may work, but I know that this machine, without an SSD is slow as hell, and I wouldn't wish it on anybody. It's what I'm using right now between selling my iMac and buying a new rMBP and it can't really even handle Netflix.

50L

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 2, 2014
I had the same problem with the same machine a few years ago. It was a known problem, Apple replaced my logic board, and everything went back to normal.

Unfortunately, the extended replacement period is over now, so you're looking at an expensive logic board replacement, or a new machine. Even the lowest end MBA will be much faster than this machine, and potentially cheaper than the logic board replacement, so I would recommend the latter.

There's the "baking the logic board" solution, which may work, but I know that this machine, without an SSD is slow as hell, and I wouldn't wish it on anybody. It's what I'm using right now between selling my iMac and buying a new rMBP and it can't really even handle Netflix.
Baking method actually worked! me happy :D

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Baking the board will only work for a few times. Each time it will work less longer than before. Soon it won't fix it at all. You'll get about one more year out of it with additional bakings before it is completely dead.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.