Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Jun 23, 2014, 07:22 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Withings Debuts 'Activité' Fitness Tracker With Traditional Watch Design

Withings today unveiled a stylish new fitness tracker, the Activité, which bundles activity tracking capabilities into a traditional-style watch. Unlike smart watch and fitness band offerings from companies like Samsung, Pebble, Nike, and more, the new Activité features a round, analog watch face protected by sapphire glass and attached to a leather band.

Inside, the watch includes sensors that track steps taken and sleep quality, also helping users to calculate calories burned. An included secondary dial tracks a user defined metric, such as distance walked or calories burned. The Activité wirelessly connects to the accompanying Withings Health Mate app using Bluetooth LE.

In an interview with WIRED, Withings chief marketing officer Julien De Preaumont said the company's mission with the Activité was to have an impact on health with a design people like.
Quote:
"Our mission is to have an impact on health," Julien De Preaumont, CMO at Withings, tells WIRED. "That requires devices that we'll use in the long term." The Activité is so pared down, the design borders on obvious: "Let's use the design of a classic watch that we know people like," De Preaumont says.
Because of its simple design and its limited tracking abilities, the Activité is powered by a traditional watch battery with a charge that lasts up to a year, a far more impressive battery life than many of its competitors.

Withings has an existing fitness tracker, the Pulse 02, along with several other health and fitness related products, including its line of smart scales, a baby monitor, a blood pressure monitor, and an upcoming sleep tracking system, the Aura.

Available in two separate color varieties, black and silver, the Withings Activité will ship this fall for $390.

Article Link: Withings Debuts 'Activité' Fitness Tracker With Traditional Watch Design
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2014, 07:24 PM   #2
carjakester
macrumors 68020

That is one classy fitness watch!
carjakester is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2014, 07:35 PM   #3
Radio
Banned

Pretty watch but I wouldn't work out with it!
Radio is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2014, 07:40 PM   #4
LeoNobilis
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to LeoNobilis Send a message via Skype™ to LeoNobilis
CONs: Too expensive. Leather.

$390??? A ridiculous price for an activity tracker! Also, the more morally elevated users don't like to wear leather. What have you to say on this, Withings?
LeoNobilis is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2014, 07:46 PM   #5
surfingarbo
macrumors member

If there wasn't a rumour or two on the iWatch, I would probably buy this in the Fall.

I can say however that I bought the Withings Smart Body Analyzer (weighing scales) last week, and I highly recommend it. Will be eventually even cooler with iOS 8 Health integration.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 07:48 PM   #6
herocero
macrumors regular

it's a hot watch kids. i dig it.
herocero is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2014, 07:50 PM   #7
AngerDanger
macrumors 65816

Oh, God, if you haven't seen it already, watch the video on their site. They out Apple'd Apple!

Last edited by AngerDanger; Jun 23, 2014 at 09:19 PM. Reason: insufficient spelling, grammar, or syntax
AngerDanger is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2014, 07:52 PM   #8
Surreal
macrumors 6502a

$400 and no pulse monitoring.

I am disappointed. I am probably not the target demographic but I am disappointed nonetheless. Why is this not a normal feature yet?
Old Jun 23, 2014, 07:53 PM   #9
jmh600cbr
macrumors 6502

Too expensive to not receive notifications
jmh600cbr is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2014, 07:57 PM   #10
Jessica Lares
macrumors 604

It's a watch for people interested in bragging numbers and rights and not so much a fitness tracker.

I hate these products. There seems to be more and more of them coming out. There are even apps coming out that are of a similar thought - Statistics logging over actual use.

It's nice enough for people who just want a watch, and the tracking is just a small plus.

And no, this is absolutely no good for those that really benefit from a tracker, but it's not marketed towards that crowd to begin with.

I expected better from Withings. But I also think these health trackers are getting to the point where companies focus too much on making everyone happy because they want EVERYONE to want to buy it.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 08:06 PM   #11
Verita
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngerDanger View Post
Oh, God, if you haven't seen it already, watch the video on their site. They out Apple Apple!
No... it's on a whole different level! Either loads of drugs, or the distilled blood of hipsters was used in the making of that video.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 08:14 PM   #12
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
As far as health tracking smart watches go, this seems pretty good to me.

But I don't care, and I don't think many other people care, about tracking their health. I seriously doubt this is a killer feature that will move products. If it was, Apple would have focused more on the debut of HealthKit, but they didn't. They mentioned it briefly and moved on to other, more interesting things.

It could be a world changing product if you get everyone wearing one, maybe - maybe it could provide all sorts of important data to doctors worldwide, detect cancer or other health problems in time to stop it, but I think you need features that are of more immediate use to people before they'll buy a product with long term uses like that.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 08:33 PM   #13
Blakjack
macrumors 65832

I'm confused.......How does it work?
Old Jun 23, 2014, 08:57 PM   #14
ogremoustro
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Oh, God, if you haven't seen it already, watch the video on their site. They out Apple Apple!
What do you mean they out Apple?
Old Jun 23, 2014, 09:06 PM   #15
RolyPolyBird
macrumors regular

Quote:
Go look at their earlier marketing videos, extremely creepy and cringe worthy stuff.

Also for Arn and co, is this a paid advertisement? I clicked on the link and it flashed to a redirect URL containing the word "partner". Seems odd when there was no mention of a financial relationship.
RolyPolyBird is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2014, 09:28 PM   #16
OddyOh
macrumors regular

Wearing leather...for working out? sleeping?

Also...if this thing is $400...I'm expecting the iWatch at about $800 to $1200.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 09:34 PM   #17
Rigby
macrumors 65816

Nice. Much better than the nerdy fitness bands or Pebble watches. And they picked a simple, elegant watch design too.

Note that it doesn't even have a winder button. Apparently it gets the time from the Internet via the Bluetooth-connected smartphone.
Rigby is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2014, 10:31 PM   #18
stiligFox
macrumors 6502a

Wow that's very classy looking. It's a bit steep, but there are plenty of watches that price (as long as the quality corresponds). It doesn't scream FITNESS like most of the Utrecht offerings do!
stiligFox is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2014, 10:40 PM   #19
yourtoys7
macrumors 6502a

All this covers is buss people as per their advertising, everyone else.... Wait for more Casual/ Rouget watch to come...
How long does the battery last?

----------

Now if Casio can do similar in G-Shock for under 100. I'll be all over them.
yourtoys7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2014, 11:03 PM   #20
dumastudetto
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Oh, God, if you haven't seen it already, watch the video on their site. They out Apple'd Apple!
If you think they've out Apple'd Apple, then you don't get Apple.
dumastudetto is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2014, 11:04 PM   #21
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigby View Post
Nice. Much better than the nerdy fitness bands
Only if you don't really intend to do much fitness. Very impractical except maybe to measure steps to the office Keurig machine and back. Of course the aerobic value of that is nill.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 11:05 PM   #22
iolinux333
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Where is it? I can't find the video from my phone.
iolinux333 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2014, 11:21 PM   #23
AngerDanger
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumastudetto View Post
If you think they've out Apple'd Apple, then you don't get Apple.
Please, don't tell me whether or not I "get" Apple. You've already broken Apple Club's first rule: don't use the word Apple three times in a single sentence.

Psssst, I was attempting to invoke the caricature of Apple that exists in most peoples' minds which, when taken to its logical extreme, would look a hell of a lot like this company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iolinux333 View Post
Where is it? I can't find the video from my phone.
I couldn't find it on my iProduct; you'll have to view it from a desktop browser.

Last edited by AngerDanger; Jun 23, 2014 at 11:30 PM. Reason: multiquote magic
AngerDanger is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2014, 11:23 PM   #24
StyxMaker
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoNobilis View Post
$390??? A ridiculous price for an activity tracker! Also, the more morally elevated users don't like to wear leather. What have you to say on this, Withings?
Morally elevated? What a load.
StyxMaker is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2014, 11:29 PM   #25
captain kaos
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoNobilis View Post
Its a nice classic looking watch AND tracker, so the price is fine. Re leather strap, im sure the lugs on the watch are a standard size, so easy to find a plastic or rubber strap to fit it.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion