Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacRumors News Discussion (archive)

 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 22, 2005, 09:31 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
iTunes in Top 10 U.S. Music Retailers

http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif

An NPD Press release is making headlines around the Mac web.

According to The NPD Group, in Q3 2005, Apple's iTunes Music store made its way into the Top 10 list of U.S. retailers based on "equivalent number of units sold". (Number in parenthesis are 2004's Q3 position)

Quote:

1. Wal-Mart (1)
2. Best Buy (2)
3. Target (3)
4. Amazon.com (4)
5. FYE (10)
6. Circuit City (Tied for 5)
7. Apple\iTunes (14)
8. Tower Records (Tied for 7)
9. Sam Goody (Tied for 5)
10. Borders (9)
NPD used 12 tracks per album in order to compare sales between physical CDs and individual tracks.

Last edited by Doctor Q; Nov 22, 2005 at 10:07 AM.
MacRumors is offline   0
Old Nov 22, 2005, 09:32 AM   #2
Lacero
macrumors 601
 
Lacero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Awesome. Long time it hasn't been already included. Next milestone target: surpassing Amazon.

Also link from zdnet:

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9595_22-5965314.html
Lacero is offline   0
Old Nov 22, 2005, 09:38 AM   #3
iDM
macrumors 6502a
 
iDM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: The Commonwealth of PA/The First State-DE
Send a message via AIM to iDM
I would have assumed that this was the case anyway, but it's nice to actually see it!
__________________
Pb 15" 1.25/80/BT/AE/1.25gb ram; Logitech MX1000; iPod 3rd Gen 20gig(stolen); Shuffle 1gig; iPod 5g 30gig-Black
www.cleanyourair.org
iDM is offline   0
Old Nov 22, 2005, 09:40 AM   #4
dlastmango
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: West Coast - FLORIDA
Walmart....

Walmart is cheapest arent they?... so if Apple inroduces variable pricing they will no longer be on the chart...

Just my 2 cents.
dlastmango is offline   0
Old Nov 22, 2005, 09:45 AM   #5
BornAgainMac
macrumors 601
 
BornAgainMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Florida Resident
This means a lot of people still buy music the old fashion way.
BornAgainMac is offline   0
Old Nov 22, 2005, 09:45 AM   #6
ibook30
macrumors 6502a
 
ibook30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: 2,000 light years from home
Hopefully this will give apple more juice when negotiating with the recording industry. (more apple juice!)
__________________
ibook30 is offline   0
Old Nov 22, 2005, 09:48 AM   #7
SPUY767
macrumors 68000
 
SPUY767's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: GA
This doesn't tell the whole story.

here's the gig folks. This is flawed data. People are counting every CD as the rough equivalent of 12 iTMS tracks. The reasons that this is borked are A) note every CD Has 12 Tracks, Lots have Less, B) The data counts CDs that people buy for only one Track as 12 Tracks, and C) It vcounts iTunes Purchased albums as the actual Number of Tracks instead of the Default 12. Granted, C is peobably just as well since just as many albums have more than 12 Tracks as Have less. With iTMS people have the option to skip those tracks therefore artificially deflating the iTunes Numbers. If there were some way to Track it, which there isn't, and it were possible to make an Apples to Apples comparison, no pun intended, Apple's rank would jump by 1 or 2 spots at least. Punching Out.
__________________
Yo' mama's so STUPID, she went to Bangkok to get a TIE Fighter.
SPUY767 is offline   0
Old Nov 22, 2005, 09:55 AM   #8
bigandy
macrumors G3
 
bigandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Murka
nae bad, nae bad...
__________________
"any day that involves cat pee is a really bad day" - iBlue
bigandy is offline   0
Old Nov 22, 2005, 09:55 AM   #9
AoWolf
macrumors 6502a
 
AoWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Daytona Beach
Send a message via AIM to AoWolf
So this must include CD's sold too right? If thats pretty amazing.
__________________
I do not exist
1.6 Ghz. MacBook Air
AoWolf is offline   0
Old Nov 22, 2005, 10:28 AM   #10
revjay
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Beautiful Vancouver Island
This is a MacRumor how???
__________________
"Sometimes I wish I were you just so I could be friends with me."
1.9 G5 imac; 2.2 MacBook
revjay is offline   0
Old Nov 22, 2005, 10:32 AM   #11
guez
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Now if only iTunes would let me buy an album

iTunes is still much too flaky for my tastes. Album buying, for instance, has been down since at least yesterday (at least for me). You are not warned about the issue before you click on buy, but after. This produces a less than optimal buying experience: somewhat analagous to showing up at the register with a CD and being told by a Walmart clerk that they won't sell it to you.

Although I do use iTunes music store occasionally, I also have to confess to an unpleasant early experience, as well. My wife gave me a gift certificate two years ago. At the time, iTunes did not ask for confirmation before activating the gift certificate from an email. As a result, the $50 was inadvertantly added to my wife's account, not mine. Apple would not move the credit. Although I can still use the songs, this is the kind of thing that makes you think twice about Apple's DRM.

Finally, I know many of you out there are not sympathetic, but the iTunes Music Store/iPod gapless playback issue is still a barrier for many of us. It is aggravating to see videos added but this basic functionality still lacking.

I guess that what I am trying to say is that while iTunes may be the best thing out there, it still has a long way to go...
guez is offline   0
Old Nov 22, 2005, 10:38 AM   #12
killemall4130
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by guez
iTunes is still much too flaky for my tastes. Album buying, for instance, has been down since at least yesterday (at least for me). You are not warned about the issue before you click on buy, but after. This produces a less than optimal buying experience: somewhat analagous to showing up at the register with a CD and being told by a Walmart clerk that they won't sell it to you.

Although I do use iTunes music store occasionally, I also have to confess to an unpleasant early experience, as well. My wife gave me a gift certificate two years ago. At the time, iTunes did not ask for confirmation before activating the gift certificate from an email. As a result, the $50 was inadvertantly added to my wife's account, not mine. Apple would not move the credit. Although I can still use the songs, this is the kind of thing that makes you think twice about Apple's DRM.

Finally, I know many of you out there are not sympathetic, but the iTunes Music Store/iPod gapless playback issue is still a barrier for many of us. It is aggravating to see videos added but this basic functionality still lacking.

I guess that what I am trying to say is that while iTunes may be the best thing out there, it still has a long way to go...
agree with ^

and why buy ur tunes anyways, i dont get it?
killemall4130 is offline   0
Old Nov 22, 2005, 10:54 AM   #13
devilot
Moderator emeritus
 
devilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlastmango
Walmart is cheapest arent they?... so if Apple inroduces variable pricing they will no longer be on the chart...

Just my 2 cents.
Apple's iTMS has a wide selection and I'm willing to bet that they have more songs/CDs (as well as less mainstream but still greatly loved artists) than Walmart carries.
__________________
Noodles.
devilot is offline   0
Old Nov 22, 2005, 10:54 AM   #14
Josh396
macrumors 65816
 
Josh396's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Peoria/Chicago, IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by revjay
This is a MacRumor how???
They're just keeping us up to date with how Apple is doing with the iTMS. I'm sure a lot of people here were glad to read it.
Josh396 is offline   0
Old Nov 22, 2005, 10:57 AM   #15
Lacero
macrumors 601
 
Lacero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by devilot
Apple's iTMS has a wide selection and I'm willing to bet that they have more songs/CDs (as well as less mainstream but still greatly loved artists) than Walmart carries.
Walmart and brick & mortar stores of their kind are dying because they only stock the most popular mainstream music. It gets expensive to store and display millions of songs. With something like iTMS, it follows the Amazon.com model of selling fewer songs from a much more diverse selection.
Lacero is offline   0
Old Nov 22, 2005, 11:02 AM   #16
Chaszmyr
macrumors 601
 
Chaszmyr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
I would have expected Best Buy to be #1, Amazon to be #2, and Apple to be #3
Chaszmyr is offline   0
Old Nov 22, 2005, 11:06 AM   #17
Uragon
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
well, i guess this is bad for Apple, the record labels are reading this too... and definitely would want a share of it.....
Uragon is offline   0
Old Nov 22, 2005, 11:14 AM   #18
FireArse
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Send a message via MSN to FireArse
Quote:
Originally Posted by revjay
This is a MacRumor how???
My extact thoughts.
FireArse is offline   0
Old Nov 22, 2005, 11:27 AM   #19
muffinman
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: San Diego, California
Send a message via AIM to muffinman
sweet. walmart your going down!
muffinman is offline   0
Old Nov 22, 2005, 11:30 AM   #20
IJ Reilly
macrumors P6
 
IJ Reilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Palookaville
One of the top 10 music retailers. Just so we're clear. (The article headline wasn't.)
__________________
*The season starts too early and finishes too late and there are too many games in between.
Bill Veeck
IJ Reilly is offline   0
Old Nov 22, 2005, 11:44 AM   #21
Jschultz
macrumors 6502a
 
Jschultz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chicago, IL
Send a message via AIM to Jschultz
Quote:
Originally Posted by killemall4130
agree with ^

and why buy ur tunes anyways, i dont get it?
Some of us actually support the artists, maybe?

And it gets hard to find some of what I want in 320kbps alot of times. Why not have CD quality and be done with it?

(note that I don't buy top 40 garbage, but rather Springsteen and other classic rock)
Jschultz is offline   0
Old Nov 22, 2005, 11:53 AM   #22
SPUY767
macrumors 68000
 
SPUY767's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by killemall4130
agree with ^

and why buy ur tunes anyways, i dont get it?
As opposed to stealing them you theiving troll?
__________________
Yo' mama's so STUPID, she went to Bangkok to get a TIE Fighter.
SPUY767 is offline   0
Old Nov 22, 2005, 12:08 PM   #23
mcarnes
macrumors 68000
 
mcarnes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: USA! USA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jschultz
note that I don't buy top 40 garbage, but rather Springsteen
Glory Days?
mcarnes is offline   0
Old Nov 22, 2005, 12:10 PM   #24
rikers_mailbox
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: LA-la-land
Quote:
Originally Posted by revjay
This is a MacRumor how???
Oh, please. Are we going to have this conversation again?

I'm sorry, but stop holding on to the view that MR is exclusively rumors. MR is here to facilitate discussion about Apple and Apple-related news (including rumors). Please just accept that and move on to something more productive for all of us.
rikers_mailbox is offline   0
Old Nov 22, 2005, 12:30 PM   #25
lifeboy001
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUY767
here's the gig folks. This is flawed data. People are counting every CD as the rough equivalent of 12 iTMS tracks. The reasons that this is borked are A) note every CD Has 12 Tracks, Lots have Less, B) The data counts CDs that people buy for only one Track as 12 Tracks, and C) It vcounts iTunes Purchased albums as the actual Number of Tracks instead of the Default 12. Granted, C is peobably just as well since just as many albums have more than 12 Tracks as Have less. With iTMS people have the option to skip those tracks therefore artificially deflating the iTunes Numbers. If there were some way to Track it, which there isn't, and it were possible to make an Apples to Apples comparison, no pun intended, Apple's rank would jump by 1 or 2 spots at least. Punching Out.
Lots have more than 12 tracks too, you can't just use data that suits your argument. One of the biggest recent sellers was Kanye West's new CD which sported 23 tracks. I think anywhere between 10-12 is a valid average, and I'm sure they did the research to back it up.

Along those lines, we understand iTunes sells singles and regular retailers do not. It does not discount the results that have been posted by any means; this is merely a ranking of sales. Should we have to include price comparisons too? Borders regularly sells CD's in the $18 range while you can get them for $10 on iTunes. This however, was not the point of the article.
lifeboy001 is offline   0


 
MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacRumors News Discussion (archive)

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Music sync'd to my iPhone, but in iTunes no music selected Matth3w iPhone 6 Jan 16, 2014 12:18 AM
Digital Music Sales Decline for First Time Since Opening of iTunes Music Store MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 250 Jan 9, 2014 12:36 PM
itunes not playing music after adding music from documents. megtd Mac Applications and Mac App Store 0 Oct 7, 2013 06:13 PM
Windows 8: Playing iTunes music from music application BrownManUPS Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac 9 Sep 3, 2012 10:35 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:23 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC