Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CharlieBrandt09

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 28, 2012
Southern NJ
I came across a posting on CL that seems pretty decent. $100 for this:

Nikon N60 Film Camera with strap
Nikon 28-80mm lens
Quantaray 70-300mm lens
Quantaray Power Pro Flash Handle Mount System
Quantaray High Power Bounce & Swivel Twin Flash

Will these lenses work with a D5200? The 28-80 is a D series, and I see they aren't very expensive, but this deal is close to my house and I might give it a shot if it is comaptible.

swordio777

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2013
Scotland, UK
You need to make sure that the camera / lenses use the F-mount. I tried having a look online but couldn't find much about the N60.

If the lenses use the F-mount then they will attach to your camera, but they definitely will not autofocus. If you're happy focussing manually it won't be an issue.

They might not meter properly or stop down through the camera's aperture control either. Both the lenses will have an aperture ring, so stopping down isn't really an issue. Metering is a bit more of a pain, but if you're happy using full manual controls and getting your exposure through a bit of trial & error then they should "work" with your D5200.

If I were you, I'd probably give it a miss. You need to be absolutely certain what you're buying into with old gear like this. You're probably better to save your $100 and put it towards a lens that will be fully compatible with your camera.

Cheers

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
I looked the camera and Nikon lens up on Amazon and eBay and the price for both runs between $40 and $100. The other lenses are just throw ins in my opinion.

Dale

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I came across a posting on CL that seems pretty decent. $100 for this:

Nikon N60 Film Camera with strap
Nikon 28-80mm lens
Quantaray 70-300mm lens
Quantaray Power Pro Flash Handle Mount System
Quantaray High Power Bounce & Swivel Twin Flash

Will these lenses work with a D5200? The 28-80 is a D series, and I see they aren't very expensive, but this deal is close to my house and I might give it a shot if it is comaptible.

ALL Nikon SLR going bcd to the 1960's use the same "F-Mount" and the lenses will fit and work to some degree. But features may or may not work. I'm pretty sure the film camera body has a focus motor inside the body and the lenses do NOT have motor. You D5200 lacks a focus motor. So you would have to use the lens in manual focus mode. The light meter should work.

The lenses would work in auto focus mode on a new Nikon body like the D300 that has a focus motor

All Nikon lenses will mount on all bodies, but you need to match up the features. Like in this case one of the two, the lens or the body must have a motor if the lens is to auto focus also, of course you'd need a body with an autofocus sensor. Same with things like Aperture rings, You need either a ring on the lens or a dial on the body. The above lens will have rings, so you can set the f-stop on any body.

The flash will work in manual mode on your D5200. I don't think it works in iTTL mode. If the flash as it's own sensor then it will also work on "A" mode (not the same "A" as on the camera body. Flash "A" means automatic but not TTL.

Bottom line is the gear is of limited use on a new low-end body..

----------

Thanks for the info. I see the lens does say AF, but I'm not sure that would translate to the D5200.

You have to know how to read Nikon lens model numbers. The information is there if you have the full model number just "28-80" is not enough. My guess is that theNiokon lens and body were a package. If so the lens would be just "AF" not AF-D or AF-G or one of the others. If so it would be the "crew driver drive" toe and depend on a body with a focus motor, or the photographer's hand fr focus.

CharlieBrandt09

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 28, 2012
Southern NJ
Thanks all. Im becoming aware of the model numbers and what they mean, but this listing didn't have too many details unfortunately. I'll keep looking

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Thanks all. Im becoming aware of the model numbers and what they mean, but this listing didn't have too many details unfortunately. I'll keep looking

If your not sure about second hand lenses try a camera shop. They will charge a little more, but you will get advice and usually some sort of limited warranty.

Generally look for lower f numbers which usually means better glass. On more modern glass look for VR which will reduce the effect of camera shake.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
The lenses will work, but your current dslr does not have a focus motor. (Its next-bigger brother the D7x00 does come with a focus motor.) Hence, all of them will be manual focus lenses. I would pass on the offer if I were you: you won't have AF, both lenses are not that good in fact and I'd rather save up the money for newer gear.

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.