Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In April, it was reported that Catcher Technology would be supplying Apple with metal casings for the iPhone 6. Now, China's Economic Daily News (via Digitimes) reports that Apple has rejected Catcher's iPhone 6 chassis, instead choosing to place short term orders with longtime supply partners Jabil and Foxconn.

iphone61.jpg
Apple reportedly had issues with defects found in the connecting areas between the plastic and metal parts within the casings, which was caused by Catcher's anodizing process. The issues with the casings may take 2-3 months to fix, which may require Apple to rely on other supply partners.

Apple's 4.7-inch iPhone 6 is expected to go into mass production last month for a launch this fall. Reports have also suggested that Apple will also launch a larger, 5.5-inch version of the iPhone 6 at some point, with Bloomberg noting yesterday that Apple may launch both sizes of the device at the same time. In addition to a larger screen, the iPhone 6 is expected to include a thinner design, a faster A8 processor, an improved camera, and more.

Article Link: Apple Rejects Catcher's 4.7-Inch iPhone 6 Casings Over Defects

BMcCoy

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2010
So many suppliers and manufacturers in the supply chain, each with a workforce across many different roles...

I am surprised how few leaks we get of products. It does seem that the majority of companies, and people, have integrity.

Ventilatedbrain

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2012
So many suppliers and manufacturers in the supply chain, each with a workforce across many different roles...

I am surprised how few leaks we get of products. It does seem that the majority of companies, and people, have integrity.

That is what Tim cook specializes in , I don't know how he does it honestly !

output555

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2006
Where's the proofreader?

"Apple's 4.7-inch iPhone 6 is expected to go into mass production last month for a launch this fall."

Rocco83

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2011
"Apple's 4.7-inch iPhone 6 is expected to go into mass production last month for a launch this fall."

Typing in the right tense is hard. In such a hurry to get minor news out they cannot proof read the stories.

lincolntran

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2010

Yet everytime a couple of images were leaked, the arm chair executives on here act like they can do a better job.

topgunn

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2004
Houston

You say "have integrity". I say "fear reprisal".

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
Remember how hard the black and slate iPhone 5 was to manufacture? I hope we won't see scuffs in the iPhone 6.

Enabledobject

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2014
It would seem at this point they would already have all the bugs worked out if they plan on releasing the phone in two months or so.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Both phones are going to be announced at the same time . Maybe they'll be released separately, but we'll probably see both on September 9th/10th .

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Is it me or does Apple seem to have more problems with each release? I don't remember hearing anything about issues with iPhone 4 production. Then the 5 came, and they had issues with supply quantity, anodizing defects, etc... Now I'm hearing about the 6 having casing issues, trouble sourcing screens...

Why is Apple having such a hard time of it lately? Or are we just *hearing* about things now, when before they'd be kept under wraps?

powerstrokin

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
Is it me or does Apple seem to have more problems with each release? I don't remember hearing anything about issues with iPhone 4 production. Then the 5 came, and they had issues with supply quantity, anodizing defects, etc... Now I'm hearing about the 6 having casing issues, trouble sourcing screens...

Why is Apple having such a hard time of it lately? Or are we just *hearing* about things now, when before they'd be kept under wraps?

Maybe it's because they're expected to make major releases to the product each and every year now, and every year people keep begging for it to be released sooner. Apple can only do SO MUCH, you know.

People have such short attention spans these days and expect everything to be produced so fast so they can get their fix.

pocket3d

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2010

I don't know if you've noticed, but the devices keep getting more complex, and so does the supply chain.

Enabledobject

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2014
Maybe it's because they're expected to make major releases to the product each and every year now, and every year people keep begging for it to be released sooner. Apple can only do SO MUCH, you know.

People have such short attention spans these days and expect everything to be produced so fast so they can get their fix.

Apple set the precedent to release a phone every year, not the customers. The major redesigns are every two years, which would seem enough time.
I'm probly wrong on this but I envision them working on the iphone 6 shortly after the 5 was released, with the S versions being minor upgrades put together by different design teams.

ownamac

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
Utilizing the reported strength and durability of sapphire glass I'm really hoping there are no metal casings but instead a glass-back style like the iPhone 4 series:

From previous thread Apple Said to Have Enough Sapphire Glass for Production of Both iPhone 6 Models and iWatch in 2014

Hmmm ... a stunning, almost excessive amount of sapphire glass is being prepared to be produced ... a glass back would solve all radio transparency problems ... my 8-ball says you are onto something ... and in spite of all the ugly mockups with the weird seperators, maybe the iPhone 6 will instead actually look like this:

iphone-6-cw.jpg

iphone-6-cb.jpg

These are renders, obviously, but based on leaked schematics. Super thin, absolutely unique, basically unscratchable. Shut up and take my money, indeed.

springsup

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2013

Or they're scared of getting caught.

A lot of the people at Foxconn (for example) are Chinese who come from farming villages and want to earn more money in the city. They may also be supporting their parents or siblings.

If I were in that situation, there's no way I'd risk it. Why would you endanger yourself with one of the biggest employers in the country (when there are literally millions of people who would take your job in a second) and risk the wellbeing of your family and being shipped back to the countryside, all so that some people on the internet can get a picture of a component in an unreleased iPhone?

I wouldn't call that "integrity" or "loyalty". It's self-preservation and plain common-sense.

GuitarDTO

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011

Every device transitioning to production has issues. You just hear more about them now due to the toxic rumor/news cycle

verniesgarden

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2007
Saint Louis, Mo

You don't remember the white iPhone 4 then, it was pushed back and pushed back until it wasn't released at all due to the white button not matching the glass.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.