Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

captain kaos

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2008
UK
$390??? A ridiculous price for an activity tracker! Also, the more morally elevated users don't like to wear leather. What have you to say on this, Withings?

Its a nice classic looking watch AND tracker, so the price is fine. Re leather strap, im sure the lugs on the watch are a standard size, so easy to find a plastic or rubber strap to fit it.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Also for Arn and co, is this a paid advertisement? I clicked on the link and it flashed to a redirect URL containing the word "partner". Seems odd when there was no mention of a financial relationship.

We do not run paid advertisements as articles, but some external links are automatically affiliatized to help pay our bills and feed our families.

Whether or not a link is run through an affiliate program has no bearing on our editorial selection, and in fact in most cases our editorial staff has no idea whether a given link will be affiliatized.

For special cases where we explicitly include affiliate links (these are fairly rare and are generally "deals" posts or app bundles), we do call out the arrangement at the bottom of those posts. But otherwise our editorial staff is paying no special attention to the possible inclusion of affiliate links.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Only if you don't really intend to do much fitness. Very impractical except maybe to measure steps to the office Keurig machine and back. Of course the aerobic value of that is nill.
Why? I wear my current watch while rowing. No problem. The Withings is even waterproof.

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
$390??? A ridiculous price for an activity tracker! Also, the more morally elevated users don't like to wear leather. What have you to say on this, Withings?

But it isn't an activity tracker - it's first and foremost a traditional watch that has an activity tracker function built-in. $390 for a watch is nothing unusual (though whether watch prices in general are ridiculous or not is another topic entirely)

Last edited:

beanbaguk

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014
Europe
Wearing leather...for working out? sleeping? :eek:

Also...if this thing is $400...I'm expecting the iWatch at about $800 to $1200.

In the grand scheme of things, that's not a lot for a watch (I'm currently wearing a $6,000 watch with a leather strap on my wrist), and this appears to be a rather nice one too.

I'll be in the US this coming September and may pick one up once I get to play a little with it (in black of course) :)

Although I'm also wondering how it works and I agree it's a shame it doesn't appear to take your pulse, although that's not very clear and perhaps it does....

iwayne

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
Santa Clara, California
That thing is for the classic woman/guy that thinks he's athletic and wants to measure his walks around the neighborhood. That band is not for an athlete. Really you would wear that thing playing ANY sport?

beanbaguk

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014
Europe
That thing is for the classic woman/guy that thinks he's athletic and wants to measure his walks around the neighborhood. That band is not for an athlete. Really you would wear that thing playing ANY sport?

I don't think it's aimed at athletes but your average person on the street that wants to keep a check on their activities although I do agree it's odd you'd put a leather strap in the pool. The chlorine will destroy the leather and water alone will make it go pretty nasty before long.

Nevertheless, swimming aside, leather straps are fine generally and since the straps can be replaced, a nice fabric or rubber strap can be used too.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
This is a very nice looking design. Way better than the pebble which is way better than the Samsung ugliness. I hope apple does something along this line. My concern would be around the leather strap. If I actually wear the watch while being active and sweaty, leather would not be a good option. But I agree with that having a more classic and familiar look will help in getting people to use it. I am still not sold on the concept of wearing things to monitor myself, but if I were going to buy a watch, I would look at this because of its classic look and then say - oh and it has all these health features too, that cool. Just my opinion, but I think this is the better approach to get people to buy the thing. Of course price will be an issue. This one with sapphire and leather is expensive, but you could also do a plastic swatch version for less (not really apple but you get the point I hope)

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
Please, don't tell me whether or not I "get" Apple. You've already broken Apple Club's first rule: don't use the word Apple three times in a single sentence. :cool:

Psssst, I was attempting to invoke the caricature of Apple that exists in most peoples' minds which, when taken to its logical extreme, would look a hell of a lot like this company.

Lucky for me I don't belong to "Apple Club" then.

If you feel the need to use a small font when making a point, you probably should leave that point out of your post.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Why? I wear my current watch while rowing. No problem. The Withings is even waterproof.

I occasionally see a guy driving a Ferrari too. There are always outliers, but wearing a metal watch and leather(ette) band doing heavy activity is just yuk. This watch is for people who want to monitor their daily activity but a band is too casual. I just can't see someone using it when they go running or speed walking or play other sports like the other activity bands. It would be like wearing a suit.

SvenSvenson

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2007

"more morally elevated users don't like to wear leather." That's dumb & irresponsible. Choosing not to use the skin of food animals is just a waste as you'd have to use other materials in thei place.

beanbaguk

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014
Europe
I'm really interested in this watch. Having read more, I've learnt the watch will come with a leather and rubber strap for use while swimming.

It features an easily removable clip to remove and exchange the straps.

So long as I like the feel of the watch, I'll be getting one of these for me and perhaps my girlfriend on release. I feel however it's a little big and masculine as a womens watch.

It would be nice to see Withings do a more feminine design...perhaps with a smaller dial (if technologically possible), along with a more delicate face, hands and white or even light rose coloured straps.

Geminist

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2012
This is actually very elegant and can suit work or play.

Looking forward to see what Apple has to offer, and the review of the watch. 390USD if it's durable and accurate then it's a pretty reasonable price.

Curious there is no mention of battery? (Edit - Found it, it says lasts for a year with no recharge).

I want one! It'll be interesting to see Apple's interpretation of a smart watch assuming there is one.

beanbaguk

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014
Europe

How hypocritical! What on earth are you doing on a forum dedicated to consumerism!?! :rolleyes:

Until you can answer that properly, don't preach on morality!

P.S. I love meat. I ate a wonderful steak yesterday and my two doggies enjoyed the leftovers. I'm a terrible person.

rmatthewware

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2009
Oh, God, if you haven't seen it already, watch the video on their site. They out Apple'd Apple! :eek:

Really? It's a pretty watch and one of the better fitness trackers, but it doesn't integrate any smart phone functions. No notifications, no Siri, no Maps (which would be awesome for turn-by-turn directions for someone walking or using mass-transit), and to view any metrics, you have to pull out your phone. They didn't out-apple Apple. What they did was make a high-end fitness tracker that puts Nike, Fitbit, and Jawbone to shame. If you want a fitness tracker and a nice watch, then I think Withings won.

As just a fitness tracker, it's a beautiful watch, it tracks the important exercise metrics, send them to your phone for viewing, and even has the vibration alarm clock that I've been interested in. It's a great option for people who are really into fitness, but not so much into smart features on their wrist.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008

If you feel the need to use a small font when making a point, you probably should leave that point out of your post.

Okie-dokie, let's see if this works…

I enjoy making facetious posts online and am always baffled when others refuse to take them with a grain of salt. :)

If the best retort you can come up with involves criticizing my font choice, then perhaps you actually have nothing to say.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
I just can't see someone using it when they go running or speed walking or play other sports like the other activity bands. It would be like wearing a suit.
I don't see the problem. This is not a Rolex, but rather on the level of something like a Seiko sport watch. And obviously you would put a non-leather strap on the watch if you want to go swimming.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia

Okie-dokie, let's see if this works…

I enjoy making facetious posts online and am always baffled when others refuse to take them with a grain of salt. :)

If the best retort you can come up with involves criticizing my font choice, then perhaps you actually have nothing to say.

AngerDanger, don't even bother, it's a waste of time - take a few minutes to review the post history of dumastudetto and you'll understand what I mean.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I don't see the problem. This is not a Rolex, but rather on the level of something like a Seiko sport watch. And obviously you would put a non-leather strap on the watch if you want to go swimming.

It has nothing to do with the value of the watch, but the design. Dress watches are called that for a reason just as sport watches are too. A products design should match its purpose. And the Withings does that IF the purpose is to attract buyers that want a fitness band in a dress watch shell. But functionally, it's design confines use light physical activity. It's not something anyone is going to work out with if only because it wouldn't be comfortable.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
How hypocritical! What on earth are you doing on a forum dedicated to consumerism!?! :rolleyes:

Until you can answer that properly, don't preach on morality!

P.S. I love meat. I ate a wonderful steak yesterday and my two doggies enjoyed the leftovers. I'm a terrible person.

I guarantee they already have an item of clothing containing leather (if not some other item in their home).

If by some miracle they don't...well...some of the more morally elevated among us have heard first hand the blood-curdling scream that cotton makes when ripped from its bush. :rolleyes:

----------

I just can't see someone using it when they go running or speed walking or play other sports like the other activity bands. It would be like wearing a suit.

Yes, i'm sure you're right. I'm sure it must feel exactly like wearing a suit if you wear this watch whilst playing sport. :rolleyes:

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
It has nothing to do with the value of the watch, but the design. Dress watches are called that for a reason just as sport watches are too. A products design should match its purpose. And the Withings does that IF the purpose is to attract buyers that want a fitness band in a dress watch shell.
The Withings doesn't look like a dress watch to me at all, with the orange/blue lettering etc. It's a fitness tracker combined with a sports watch that you can wear in casual situations without looking like a dork.

kds1

Suspended
Feb 17, 2013
New York, New York
"more morally elevated users don't like to wear leather." That's dumb & irresponsible. Choosing not to use the skin of food animals is just a waste as you'd have to use other materials in thei place.

I'm practically a vegetarian, even went vegan for a period, but I have no problem with leather for exactly this reason. Only if no one ate meat would I then have a problem with leather.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.