Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Good reasons. I will add or highlight that my main reason is to have enough space to capture photos and videos while on a trip without my Mac. Also to load videos and movies to watch when inside an airplane for hours.

Yep. A better question that the OP asked might be: what are the disadvantages of more storage space? Other than price, I can't think of any.

tmanto02

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2011
Australia
Bring on 128gb already! Clearly there was a caveat in Kryder's law for Apple. Rather than doubling storage every year, they choose upgrading storage once every World Cup.

noke

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2014
its a pretty big disadvantage in my opinion to pay 200-300$ extra for getting just a bit more space. Especially if you know how low the real price of that memory is. How many beers would that be?

Elijen

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2012
That's the same as what it costs currently outside the US.

Edit: Even worse, it's relatively cheap. The 16 GB model starts at $950 in Europe.
Yeah that's true. I somehow thought these would be US prices.

iPhone7ate9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2014
I registered just to ask this:

Why do you need a mobile phone with 128GB of space? I got 16GB and im not getting over 12GB in total.
2-3GB Spotify, then tons of photos, and games.

UGH what is with people that are always like "Why would anyone need a bigger screen" "Why would anyone need more space". Geez stop being so narrow minded.

How about videos for example!

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
Why is the bezel on top and bottom not getting smaller on the bigger phones. I don't want a bigger phone. More screen estate, sure. But not the phone to be bigger.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
In what way? I don't keep junk.

I wouldn't take their comment personally. From what you've posted of your usage, I'm pretty sure you use your phone more than them anyway. So on the contrary, you're doing it right.

Besides, they've got 77 reasons but a phone 'aint one ;)

Alphabetize

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2013
I read all these posts about how people think 32 GB is more than enough to use the iPhone, but I disagree. If I knew I had storage space on my phone, I would use it for more things, but the way it is now with 16 GB, I have to limit what I'm capable of doing with it and carefully manage my storage.

cheesyappleuser

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2011
Portugal
It's interesting that is rumored Apple will finally ditch those peasant 16GB as minimum storage, and everyone starts ranting because there's no 128GB option.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
It's interesting that is rumored Apple will finally ditch those peasant 16GB as minimum storage, and everyone starts ranting because there's no 128GB option.

Yes, because what's the point in having three options, dropping the lowest option, then not offering a better alternative for the top-tier?

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010

Why do you need a mobile phone with 128GB of space? I got 16GB and im not getting over 12GB in total.

Why does one buy a 60" tv when a 42" will work just fine?
Why does one need a full size SUV vs a smaller sedan?
Why does one want a 5.5" phone over a 4" one?
Why do ugly women wear makeup?
Why do we still have racist in 2014?
Why does Macrumos flipflop every other day with these stories?
Why does one need a tablet when they own a computer?

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England

You can't have tons of games on a device that only has 16GB.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
24.6GB Photos & Camera
23.2GB Music

Not much room for everything else. Currently only 76MB free.

I can understand the 23.2GB of music, but do you really need to keep 24.6GB of photos on your phone? That must be several thousand pictures. Why not store them on your computer or portable hard drive?

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live

Lots of reasons... Just a small sample of them:
- Roaming charges when outside your country (I keep my music on my phone)
- Large apps, like TomTom for driving outside my country
- Photos

And personally, I prefer to have wasted space than to have to scrounge for it.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Its funny I first had a iPhone 3G with 8Gb and I thought how could I ever need more.
Then I got a iPhone 4S 16Gb and I thought the same thing, but at some point my iPhone was full all the time.
Had the something with iPhone 5 16GB.
So going to 32GB is very nice.

Perhaps you should learn from your pattern and skip 32GB to hop on to 64Gb or 128GB? Each hop you've made has yielded "the same thing".

richardw

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2011
I can understand the 23.2GB of music, but do you really need to keep 24.6GB of photos on your phone? That must be several thousand pictures. Why not store them on your computer or portable hard drive?

You're right, it would make sense to. However it's nice to have your pictures on your phone to hand/message, and also when you have shared photo streams, it makes you feel hesitant to remove anything.

Hoping with the next version of iPhoto (which currently is possibly the worst software on my Mac) you'll be able to do similar things.

iPhone7ate9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2014

What's the deal with the "do you need" crap? Don't you get these phones to enjoy them?
Memory is dirt cheap, so why NOT have extra memory?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.