Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

At today's Google I/O event in San Francisco, Google demoed its Android Wear platform and announced availability of the first Android Wear devices. First announced in March, Android Wear is designed to bring the Android platform to a range of wearable devices from several of Google's manufacturing partners.

android_wear_ui_io.jpg
As described on stage, Google has designed Android Wear with many of the features and functions that rumors have suggested Apple's own iWatch might include. Android Wear supports screens of multiple sizes and styles, including both square and circular. With its always-on display and card-based UI, it displays information like notifications and location-based reminders.

Largely controlled by voice via Google Now integration, Android Wear also supports contextual apps that display information at a glance and it also integrates with several sensors, such as those that monitor steps taken and even heart rate on supported devices. It includes Google Maps support, offering turn-by-turn directions on the wrist and it can be used to control other devices, such as speakers.

Android Wear devices are reliant on a connected smartphone, much like the iWatch is expected to be reliant on the iPhone. Apps that are downloaded from the Google Play Store are able to include a wearable portion, which is automatically installed on a compatible Android Wear device when downloaded on a smartphone, extending available app functionality to the wrist.

On stage, demonstrations of Android Wear gave a clear idea of what we might expect from other wearables in the future, including the iWatch. A Lyft car was ordered via a simple voice command, with the watch automatically detecting a location. Ordering the car, payment, and update notifications on the driver's location were all displayed directly on wrist, without the need to access a smartphone.

samsung_gear_live_io.jpg
Samsung Gear Live
Google announced the release of the full Android Wear SDK, along with the launch of the first devices supporting Android Wear. The LG G Watch is available for order today, as is the Samsung Gear Live, a new Samsung watch that supports Android. The platform's first circular watch taking advantage of the round UI, the Moto 360, will be available later this summer, and additional devices are in development by various partners.

By focusing on a platform rather than a device of its own, Google has managed to get Android onto wrists several months ahead of Apple. According to the most recent rumors, Apple's much-rumored smart watch won't launch until later this year, possibly at an October event. The iWatch expected to have a strong focus on health and fitness, with more than ten sensors to collect various types of data.

Article Link: Google Launches First Android Wear Devices, Featuring Always-On Displays and Card-Based Interface

Dave.UK

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2012
Kent, UK
Been watching the Google I/O - They really have excelled themselves this year.

I hate to say it, but after watching the I/O, it makes it appear Apple take 1 step forward but then take 3 steps back.

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
After watching the demo in I/O this is exactly what I hope the iWatch is not. I don't want a clunky 2.5" laggy touchscreen bombarding me with notifications and trying to shoehorn the smart watch experience onto a small screen.

Dave.UK

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2012
Kent, UK
After watching the demo in I/O this is exactly what I hope the iWatch is not. I don't want a clunky 2.5" laggy touchscreen bombarding me with notifications and trying to shoehorn the smart watch experience onto a small screen.

Hopefully in a few years you'll find out.

captain cadet

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2012
To be honest I won't be suprized the reason that apple might be holding back is so they can see what exactly is Android Wear, see it's problems and faults, then adjust the Iwatch OS to remove most of these problems - that's why I believe why we have had to wait and that the iwatch is going into production now!

HishamAkhtar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2011
I think Google needs to start supporting the likes of LG, Motorola and HTC over Samsung. Samsung and their devices are simply bad for Android because of the experience they provide to often first time Android users.

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
Been watching the Google I/O - They really have excelled themselves this year.

I hate to say it, but after watching the I/O, it makes it appear Apple take 1 step forward but then take 3 steps back.

Half the demos didnt work, lag in demos, flickering in videos, etc

The smoothest part was when they demoed something in iPhone 5 lel.

Crzyrio

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
To be honest I won't be suprized the reason that apple might be holding back is so they can see what exactly is Android Wear, see it's problems and faults, then adjust the Iwatch OS to remove most of these problems - that's why I believe why we have had to wait and that the iwatch is going into production now!

I think the only reason we are seeing these watches are because of Apple's rumored iWatch.

I would have a hearty laugh if no iWatch was released but another product and all these smart watches will automatically stop being developed

Alumeenium

macrumors regular
May 15, 2013
Fugly stupid wearables

we want implantables and contact lenses,

not a goofy looking watch or glasses

and sorry,

giving it a burberry watchband still won't wash off the geek stink

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
Apple took 1 steps forward, but then Google took 5.

Looks like a solid presentation from Google, but I don't see how it exceeds Apple's WWDC. Google shows a lot more things at earlier stages of development- which makes it look like they're "doing more".

MisakixMikasa

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Google wear is not out yet and you can it build a platform overnight. According to your analysis, we would have to wait for other year or two for iWatch. It take even more time for Apple to analysis how Android wear perform and what are the problem then fix the problem.

Dave.UK

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2012
Kent, UK
Half the demos didnt work, lag in demos, flickering in videos, etc

The most smooth part was when they demoed something in iPhone 5 lel.

Well considering that a lot of the stuff announced is still in development, there is always a risk things could go wrong.

Unless you cheat like Apple and hard code such as when they announced the iPhone ;)

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
Can't tell whether it's the screen that looks terrible or the camera taking the pictures is just terrible.

Bare

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2008
Google: ZOMG, IN BEFORE APPLE!!!!!!!!!111ONE

Apple: Yeah, that's never stopped us before -- we didn't invent the smartphone, the tablet, the laptop, etc., but we do okay in those markets.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
Interesting that Google are showing off Facebook integration with their devices in a big way.

I guess Google+ really is dead.

Dave.UK

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2012
Kent, UK
I think the only reason we are seeing these watches are because of Apple's rumored iWatch.

I would have a hearty laugh if no iWatch was released but another product and all these smart watches will automatically stop being developed

I knew it wouldn't take long for someone to spout this rubbish! :rolleyes:

Cali Fornia

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2012
Vienna, Austria
I am not hating, but this looks incredibly useless.
Those few sensors are also very limited in functionality.

I especially like how they always show pictures of such watches with unrealisticly short sentences displayed – just to make the UI look good and hide the scrolling necessity. I'll just tell my friends now to only message me 3 word sentences on facebook for maximum convenience!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.