Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

At its Google I/O developer's conference in San Francisco, Google today announced Android Auto, its answer to Apple's CarPlay. Much like CarPlay, Android Auto is designed to bring the Android experience to a car's in-dash infotainment system.

As described by Google, Android Auto is contextually aware and puts the apps that users need front and center on the car's dashboard. Google stressed that Android Auto is "completely voice enabled," relying on Google Now much the way CarPlay relies on Siri for voice commands. Google also noted that it's able to offer a completely personalized experience that is mobile, working with any Android Auto compatible car as it is reliant on an Android phone.

android_auto_cards.jpg
Android Auto integrates deeply with Google Maps, providing drivers with access to all Google Maps features like local search, personalized suggestions, live traffic information, and turn-by-turn navigation.

On stage, Android Auto was demoed planning a trip to the DeYoung Museum in San Francisco. Android Auto was first asked how late the museum was open, providing a response, before it was ordered to navigate to the location, where it offered turn-by-turn directions. It was also demoed composing and sending messages entirely via voice.

Like CarPlay, Android Auto integrates with several different app partners to provide music and other audio, such as MLB at Bat, Pandora, Spotify, Songza, Stitcher, iHeart Radio, and more.

androidautopartners.jpg
Google also announced 40 new partners for its Open Automotive Alliance, which is a group of "technology and auto industry leaders" that are committed to bringing Android to cars in 2014. The goal of the alliance is to make "technology in the car safer, more seamless, and more intuitive for everyone."

According to Google, Android Auto will be available in 25 different car brands, with the first cars rolling off dealer lots before the end of the year. Google is also releasing an Android Auto SDK in the coming weeks so developers can create apps for the platform. Apple's CarPlay is also expected to be available in several different cars before the end of the year.

Article Link: Google Announces 'Android Auto' CarPlay Competitor

CrystalPepsi

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2011
I don't see how some manufacturers, such as Honda (who has committed to both the Open Automotive Alliance and Apple) will be able to support both platforms. Perhaps they will have some models supporting Android Car and others supporting CarPlay? That doesn't make sense. Also, I don't see how there could be a modular solution where they can "swap out" to the other platform.

Edit: Thanks everyone for answering my question.

Last edited:

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
Honestly, Google need to get a new font if anyone is going to take this (and the Google Maps iOS app) seriously. So ugly!

Bill Killer

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2011
Honestly, Google need to get a new font if anyone is going to take this (and the Google Maps iOS app) seriously. So ugly!

There's nothing wrong with the font.

And the vast majority of people Take Google Maps more seriously than Apple's version.

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
I know a lot of people will be against me on this but this is not APPLE NEWS.

I come to MacRumors for Apple news, not Google/Android news.

I DON'T CARE!

Kryckter

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
I dont know if this is going to be good or bad. Are car manufacturers going to be putting both systems in their cars? Will I have to steer away from certain cars because they are only compatible with Android...

When it comes to technology in cars, I really wish it would stay on one path are really catch up to the rest of mobile technology.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.