Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nickyj182

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2002
Morehead, KY
I have used my mac for over a decade with iMovie all the way unto Final Cut Pro X. My camcorder shoots some pretty 1080p full HD so I would like to start burning blu rays on it. I also like having decent looking menus with my short films, any suggestions for programs on mac that allow me to burn my videos on Blu Ray, with some nice menus as well? Thanks in advance!

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
I have used my mac for over a decade with iMovie all the way unto Final Cut Pro X. My camcorder shoots some pretty 1080p full HD so I would like to start burning blu rays on it. I also like having decent looking menus with my short films, any suggestions for programs on mac that allow me to burn my videos on Blu Ray, with some nice menus as well? Thanks in advance!

You can always start with Roxio Toast which has some options for menus though not fully realized.

Chad3eleven

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2012
I've used Adobe Encore in the past for Blu Ray authoring and it worked pretty well. Being able to bring a .psd right in is great.

Do you have a Blu Ray burner yet? Kinda hard to burn a Blu Ray without it :D

martinX

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2009
Australia
Au contraire, you can burn a "blu ray" on a regular DVD (really a red laser AVCHD disc).

It won't be as high a bitrate as BR (limited to 15 mbps I think) and you can only fit a small amount on it compared to real blu ray, and there's no guarantee that all blu ray players will play it, but it can be done. I think I've done it twice and went back to YouTube and AppleTV.

Chad3eleven

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2012
Au contraire, you can burn a "blu ray" on a regular DVD (really a red laser AVCHD disc).

It won't be as high a bitrate as BR (limited to 15 mbps I think) and you can only fit a small amount on it compared to real blu ray, and there's no guarantee that all blu ray players will play it, but it can be done. I think I've done it twice and went back to YouTube and AppleTV.

You are correct, being that you can burn HD media (playable on a blu-ray player) using SD DVDs. (Also you can burn HD-DVDs, which lost the HD disc war)

The limitation is storage size. If the OP had a 10 min video burned to a red laser disc, then he could go this route. But if he is looking to create menus and several hours of media, then he may need to get a burner and some Blu Ray discs.

MrGIS

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2010
Ontario Canada

Just curious if making a blu ray is really worth the effort? Have you considered simply streaming via an Apple TV for example? Is this for business or pleasure?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.