Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Truthfulie

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2013
IPhone 5 used 3.

Machined alloy.
Plastic antenna gaps.
Glass panels.

You only see two in the back which is more prominent part of the phone.The gaps aren't visible from the back and the side gaps aren't that bad compared to this supposed mock-up.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
First time it's NO mockup ;)

Not claimed to be a mockup. I'd be really surprised if the actual iPhone 6 has a white Apple logo on the slate version and changes the iPhone logo font like that.

Edit: nevermind, the slate one is said to be a mockup.

Last edited:

Jimrod

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
Everyone knows it's necessary for radio, we just don't want it because it's fugly. It's very distracting like HTC One's back is. I mean iPhone 5's design approach made it non obtrusive by using two different materials.

I think the problem with this design, if it really is the iPhone 6, which is looking more and more likely - is that the breaks are so thick. You don't need a them to be that thick to decouple the antenna from the body. If they were thin they wouldn't look so hideous.

Truthfulie

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2013
I think the problem with this design, if it really is the iPhone 6, which is looking more and more likely - is that the breaks are so thick. You don't need a them to be that thick to decouple the antenna from the body. If they were thin they wouldn't look so hideous.
That is also true, on 5.5 mock ups they don't look as bad as 4.7 since the bands seem thinner based on proportions.

Hamble

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2013
Doubling down on secrecy...

To all those who continue to bring up Tim's "Doubling down on secrecy" statement a few years back now, I think you've missed the point of what secrecy he meant.

There's little point in attempting to keep the new iPhone models top secret in their 6th version, as they are simply iterations and never that different - in fact a little leaking here and there is good for Apple at this point, as it gets everyone excited and prepared to wait for larger screen iPhones instead of buying a big screen Android now. Other than the larger screen, there's still a lot we don't know about the new iPhone hardware. But even that is not the point...

The secrecy that he spoke of was for completely new products. Absolutely no-one outside of Apple has any real idea what the iWatch looks like or will do. THAT 'S the secrecy he meant and he's kept his word! Secrecy for completely new things - who knew about Swift? No-one. Who knew about Continuity? No-one. Leaking obvious things like the next iPhone is easy, not a problem and a handy distraction to keep people away from looking into Apple's REAL secrets...

mrbyu

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2011
People be like: "Those breaks on the back are fugly"

A few weeks later: "It's growing on me..." :p:D

P.S.: where are the "Apple is doomed" comments? I'm starting to miss them.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
This design isn't even announced yet and I'm already sick of seeing it. Part of this is that I didn't really like it in the first place, but I have no doubt when it hits stores the internet will be flooded with reports that it way better in person.

Same thing happened with the iPhone 4. Everyone thought it was a horrible looking phone from the leaked pics.
I think this is one of the biggest & most important launches for apple. It's gonna look & feel great. No doubt.

CapHill Bum

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2014
I don't like the idea that the iPhone looks like a small iPad. It's so uninspired...it's like recycling an old design.
iPhones needs to have its own design.
I mean...come on...The design exists since the first iPad mini. I get that the iPad Air has this design but iPhone?
It's pretty lazy IMO.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. Hopefully they got it all wrong and we'll see something more impressive come September.

MacrumoursUser

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2014
Denmark

I only bought the ones that I liked (4S and 5S), so it's not going to grow on me that's for sure.

CallOfDuty

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2012
Looks like the design is pretty much confirmed. It would be rather delusional imo to deny the fact that the design is not like what was leaked.
In before someone mentions the tear drop iPhone 5 which wasn't even leaked as extensively as this one. :rolleyes:

However, I was rather disappointed to see black and slate instead of space gray. I liked space gray better.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
The secrecy that he spoke of was for completely new products. Absolutely no-one outside of Apple has any real idea what the iWatch looks like or will do. THAT 'S the secrecy he meant and he's kept his word!

You're right, of course. But what happens when iWatch moves beyond the prototype stage and goes into mass production at external contract manufacturers? I would be very surprised if we don't see it leaked before it ships.

Secrecy for completely new things - who knew about Swift? No-one.

That's true, Swift was a genuine surprise. But its easier to keep software secret because it's developed entirely in house at Apple by a relatively small group of employees.

It's much more difficult to keep hardware secret when 10s (or even 100s) of thousands of external employees have seen it, worked on it, worked on parts for it, etc...

Locoboof

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2008
Bay Area,Cali
I must admit,I've been saying 4.7 for myself the whole time......but this vid might be the first time I'm liking the 5.5. It looks thin and not as bulky as I originally thought.

Kid Red

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2001
The bands around the top and bottom sections is horrible and absolutely ruins the design. I'll definitely be getting a case.

GuitarDTO

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
I don't like the idea that the iPhone looks like a small iPad. It's so uninspired...it's like recycling an old design.
iPhones needs to have its own design.
I mean...come on...The design exists since the first iPad mini. I get that the iPad Air has this design but iPhone?
It's pretty lazy IMO.

What else do you expect out of phone design? There is only so much that can be done. Do you want it to change shape? Different materials, colors, different rounds on the edges? What exactly are you looking for? The design exists because it makes the most sense for meeting all of the requirements. Has nothing to do with lazy.

Jett0516

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2010

And 3 months later they start a "what time does preordering begin" thread.

CapHill Bum

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2014
Looks like the design is pretty much confirmed. It would be rather delusional imo to deny the fact that the design is not like what was leaked.
In before someone mentions the tear drop iPhone 5 which wasn't even leaked as extensively as this one. :rolleyes:

However, I was rather disappointed to see black and slate instead of space gray. I liked space gray better.

Probably true but one can still dream :D

Who knows, once I see it it in-person I might feel different but right now I'm not as excited about this design as I thought I would be.

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
Starting to look better than those ugly mock-ups.

But I still think you really have to hold the phone in your hand before you have an opinion about the design. Just like the 5C. Doesn't look special on photos, looks pretty sweet in real life (unibody + pretty thin).

Rettun1

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2010
Oh how I wish they would bring back the slate color... Some people had scratching issues, sure, but I think it looks soo sleek

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.