Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

POM, short for Peace of Mind, is a new Kickstarter project offering Bluetooth and GPS-based tracking tag solutions. The basic POM is a tracking device that connects to the iPhone via Bluetooth LE and attaches to all manner of things -- pets, kids, valuables, and more.

Much like similar tracking products such as Tile and Duet, the small, square-shaped Bluetooth POM tag tracks people, pets, and objects over short distances up to 300 feet. For tracking things over longer distances, there's also the Total POM, which utilizes Bluetooth, Cellular, and GPS.

computerpom.jpg
POM and Total POM is a small, square tracking tag, smaller than a key fob that attaches to your dog's collar, can be worn on the wrist, or attached to your key ring or handbag. Hide it inside your purse, your computer case, your golf club bag, your suitcase, your guitar. Wear it as a bracelet for children and at-risk adults.
Both the POM and the Total POM use replaceable batteries, with the POM offering a three year battery life expectancy and the Total POM offering up to one year of battery life depending on how frequently it is used. The trackers connect to a complementary iPhone app, which offers features like sound alerts when a tagged item goes out of range and a "Last Location" option that marks the last known location of an object. The tags also include functions like leashing, an accelerometer to know if an item moves, and a temperature gauge.

There's also a POM Link, which connects to home or office internet and acts as a constant monitoring beacon to create a "protection zone" letting users know when an item goes out of range, which is particularly useful for the shorter-range Bluetooth tags.

The standard Bluetooth-based POM will retail for $25, but is available at $15 for the first 250 Kickstarter backers, and $20 for the first 500 backers. Total POM, with GPS, is available to the first 500 Kickstarter backers for $99, with one year of service included, or $120 with two years included. After the free service has ended, Total POM costs $20 per year to use.

POM Link, the base station able to keep track of POM tags, is available to backers for $249. A bracelet will also be available if a stretch goal of $250,000 is reached.

A limited number of POMs are expected to ship in December of 2014, with the rest shipping in March of 2015. The POM Link will ship in April of 2015.

Article Link: POM Tracking Tags Keep Tabs on Objects, People via Bluetooth and GPS

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
Laptop in the photo looks almost exactly like a MacBook.

It's shameful how the Chinese are ripping off Apple's designs now days :(

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga

Yes that's a MBP 13" my son has the same one. But no one is ripping off the design, the Apple logo was 'blacked out' Same reason you would see Alton Brown's Apple Displays have an Iron Chef logo taped over the Apple Logo, or in iCarly they put a Pear on a MBP.

I could be wrong but I think it has something to do with copyright, trademark, etc and paying royalties for having the logo in the advertisement. Or they did it just to look 'generic'

rickdollar

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2007
The Total POM would be a great Lojack for a kayak... assuming it works well.

Hopefully, it won't be a Total POS.

PowerBook-G5

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2013
Why don't people just be more attentive to their children, lock their pool gates, etc? This is a more elegant and cheaper solution.

bpcookson

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2012
MA
Why don't people just be more attentive to their children, lock their pool gates, etc? This is a more elegant and cheaper solution.

That sounds like a lot of mental overhead. I mean, boy! I'm pooped just thinking about thinking about it...

;)

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
I was paying too much attention to the child, and that's why my drone flew out of range. Now I wish I had some sort of locator beacon on it, so my child and I could find it.

----------

They mention Tile in the article that you didn't read, so no, they didn't mean Tile.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA

Wow, they even got the MagSafe, Thunderbolt port, and battery indicator in there!

Most likely a 2011 model. ;)

---

I don't like it either. I hope nobody comes over and tries to stick one on me. :p

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013

What are you going on about? It is a MacBook but with the Apple logo photoshopped out.

Looks to me like it's physically blocked out as apposed to photoshopping it. This is what I get after messing with the curves a bit.

OKenwUe.png

Fotoforensics doesn't pull up anything obvious either.

shauneric84

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2014
Mesa, AZ
Yes, it is a Macbook Pro

Thanks for all the comments on our product. Yes, it is my Macbook Pro. 2012 version for those that care ;)

We blurred out the logo for trademark issues. So, no it is not a Chinese ripoff. Don't worry.

What makes our Total POM better than Tile is the 300+ foot range, replaceable battery, GPS and Cellular tracking capabilities and the ability to sync it to your POM Link which gives you 24/7 monitoring of any location (such as your home or office) even if you are not there. Tile is great for keeping track of your keys. We're perfect for helping you keep track of things that really matter like your kids or your pets.

Thanks for the support Mac Rumors. We appreciate it.

Mums

Suspended
Oct 4, 2011
Thanks for all the comments on our product. Yes, it is my Macbook Pro. 2012 version for those that care ;)

We blurred out the logo for trademark issues. So, no it is not a Chinese ripoff. Don't worry.

What makes our Total POM better than Tile is the 300+ foot range, replaceable battery, GPS and Cellular tracking capabilities and the ability to sync it to your POM Link which gives you 24/7 monitoring of any location (such as your home or office) even if you are not there. Tile is great for keeping track of your keys. We're perfect for helping you keep track of things that really matter like your kids or your pets.

Thanks for the support Mac Rumors. We appreciate it.

Does Tile have GPS / cellular? Also please make it any color other than orange. If white is a problem because Tile is white, then maybe black or gray?

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
Does Tile have GPS / cellular? Also please make it any color other than orange. If white is a problem because Tile is white, then maybe black or gray?

Tile doesn't have GPS/Cellular. It's Bluetooth only, like the standard POM.

shauneric84

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2014
Mesa, AZ
It will be in multiple colors

No, Tile is strictly a Bluetooth tracker. If your item is out of range from you, then you have to rely on other Tile users who have their apps running on their phone to help you locate your lost item.

And don't worry, we will multiple colors. Right now we have White, Black and Pink (I know it looks orange in that picture, but's it's pink). If we hit certain stretch goals on Kickstarter, then we will add more color options.

ae27b72aed12d3477f2f306f745e83f0_large.jpg

Last edited:

Lazy

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2003
Silicon Valley
No way I'd stick that big wart on my laptop. Aside from bad aesthetics, it would impede stowing it in pockets designed for laptops.

It's also kind of big for a guy's keychain. And on the kid? How long before it breaks or gets lost?

On a pet's collar seems reasonable however, and Lord knows some people are willing to spend huge amounts on their pets. If I were forced to sell this product that's what I'd concentrate on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.