Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jun 26, 2014, 04:16 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple's 'Podcasts' App Crashing on Launch

Apple's Podcasts app appears to be malfunctioning for many users, crashing directly after being launched on both devices running iOS 7.1.1 and devices running iOS 8 beta 2. Multiple reports of the crashes have surfaced on Twitter, and MacRumors' own testing also revealed the same crashing-after-launch issue.

While the app will temporarily open after being tapped, it closes automatically just seconds later. The Podcasts app was last updated to version 2.1.2 with minor bug fixes on May 29, so it is unclear what is causing the app to crash.

Podcasts is one of Apple's most poorly rated apps and has been widely criticized for performance issues, with users complaining about syncing problems, podcasts being deleted, and more. Apple attempted to resolve some of these issues with Podcasts version 2.1, which introduced improved episode browsing, Siri integration, and syncing fixes, but the app continues to have a two star rating in the App Store.

As of iOS 8 beta 2, Podcasts is a default iOS app that comes pre-installed on iOS devices, meaning it can no longer be deleted. This change is expected to make its way into the public release of iOS 8, coming later this year.

The crashing issue appears to have begun this morning and it is unknown when a fix might be available.

Update 2:30 PM PT: Some users have had success turning on Airplane Mode and then opening the Podcasts app. This prevents it from crashing, and the app appears to stay open for some users after Airplane Mode is turned off, allowing it to function normally.

Update 10:00 PM PT: Users are now reporting that the Podcasts app is functioning normally once again.

Update 7/1 11:00 AM PT: The Podcasts app appears to be experiencing crashing issues once more, but the Airplane Mode fix continues to work for some users.

Article Link: Apple's 'Podcasts' App Crashing on Launch
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2014, 04:18 PM   #2
Eduardo1971
macrumors 65816

This has been going on for quite some time now. I am running the newest version of iOS.

Wonder what it could be?
Old Jun 26, 2014, 04:18 PM   #3
goobot
macrumors 601

Works on 7.0.4
Old Jun 26, 2014, 04:18 PM   #4
SMIDG3T
macrumors 65816

It's simple.

On 7.1.1, it's not acceptable.

On iOS 8, it is because it's a BETA.

MacBook Pro w/ Retina display | Late 2013 Model | OS X Yosemite Developer Preview 8
SMIDG3T is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2014, 04:18 PM   #5
CFreymarc
macrumors 68020

Working fine on my end.
CFreymarc is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2014, 04:20 PM   #6
QCassidy352
macrumors G3

Podcasts crashed the first two times I tried to open it today but stayed open after that.

Generally, I don't know why it's so poorly rated. It's simple but does everything I want in a podcast app.

Last edited by dejo; Jun 26, 2014 at 06:42 PM. Reason: quoted post / response deleted.
QCassidy352 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2014, 04:20 PM   #7
taheca
macrumors newbie

Oh thank gosh.. seriously I thought I was going crazy earlier. Thanks for having this on the frontpage MacRumors.
taheca is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2014, 04:21 PM   #8
ChazSch
macrumors regular

I can confirm mine crashes too...but then again, I never use it
ChazSch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2014, 04:21 PM   #9
ignusfast
macrumors newbie

What a piece of ****. Amazing that Apple took a perfectly good podcasting application and thoroughly broke it just to add all the sync garbage.

Podcasting still works perfectly... On my several-year-old Nano.

So sad.
ignusfast is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2014, 04:21 PM   #10
Zxxv
macrumors 65816

Only crashing on wifi here
Zxxv is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2014, 04:21 PM   #11
taheca
macrumors newbie

anyone have any recommendations for another podcast app?
taheca is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2014, 04:23 PM   #12
nhowitz
macrumors newbie

Glad to see you guys finally talking about the suckiness of the Podcasts app. I got so frustrated with it that I actually emailed Tim Cook about it. I ended up getting a reply from the iTunes product manager. I emailed with him a few times over about 6 months telling him what was wrong with the app and how it seemed like it was made by people that don't actually use podcasts. The latest changes they made seemed to address most of my issues, but stability has always been a huge problem with this app.
nhowitz is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2014, 04:23 PM   #13
Bahamut Eos
macrumors member

It's happening to me. After I restart a few times, it starts working again for a while.

It's always been a little buggy to me, but it's been getting better with updates, both interface, syncing, etc. But today it's being extremely ornery.

I thought I was the only one having the problem, I'm a little glad it's a mass issue so it gets attention faster.
Bahamut Eos is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2014, 04:23 PM   #14
MJedi
macrumors 6502

This literally happened to me an hour ago.

I thought it was being caused by the podcast I was listening to. I was able to stop the crashes by choosing another podcast quickly. But the crashing started happening again.

I was getting a prompt to enter my iTunes account password whenever I opened the Podcast app, and then the crashing started.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 04:24 PM   #15
remcoy
macrumors newbie

seems to be issue with sync server

The crash occurs a couple seconds after the app is launched, just as it starts to sync.

I doesn't crash if the phone is in Airplane mode..
remcoy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2014, 04:26 PM   #16
frikova
macrumors newbie

I'm on iOS 7.1.1, iPhone 5s and latest Podcast app and it is working without problems.

Also, I don't know why people keeps hating this app, it has been getting better and now it is quite good.
frikova is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2014, 04:26 PM   #17
profets
macrumors 65816

I was experiencing the same thing on beta 2 just an hour ago. Rebooting the phone fixed it.
profets is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2014, 04:26 PM   #18
Populism
macrumors regular

I read a lot of criticism of Apple's Podcasts app. It more than meets my needs. Then again, they won me over with the 15 second skip. I guess I'm an easy date.
Populism is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2014, 04:27 PM   #19
jbachandouris
macrumors 68000

Just tested. Mine crashes too.
jbachandouris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2014, 04:27 PM   #20
dumastudetto
macrumors 6502a

I haven't experienced a single crash with the Podcasts app. It's rock solid. Could it be happening only on jailbroken devices?
dumastudetto is online now   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2014, 04:29 PM   #21
marf1million
macrumors member

Working fine for me here on iPad Air and iPhone 5s, both on 7.1.1 and jailbroken.
marf1million is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2014, 04:30 PM   #22
NY Guitarist
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduardo1971 View Post
This has been going on for quite some time now. I am running the newest version of iOS.

Wonder what it could be?
I haven't noticed until today and I use the Podcasts app nearly every day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignusfast View Post
What a piece of ****. Amazing that Apple took a perfectly good podcasting application and thoroughly broke it just to add all the sync garbage.
I kind of enjoy being able to play a podcast on my computer and pick it up later on my iphone, or the reverse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zxxv View Post
Only crashing on wifi here
I can confirm this behavior. Also I noticed if I turned off wifi, searched for new podcasts (cell data off), then turned wifi back on it was ok.

When I close and reopen app it will crash as before with wifi on. If I open app with wifi off it doesn't crash. I can then turn wifi back on and it doesn't crash.

Last edited by NY Guitarist; Jun 26, 2014 at 04:35 PM.
NY Guitarist is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2014, 04:31 PM   #23
foidulus
macrumors 6502a

Not this again..

I was so excited after Forstall got the boot because it looked like Apple was finally focusing on improving their quality again. I noticed marked improvements in software quality, even on the podcast app. However recently it looks like they have gone back to their old buggy ways. 10.9.3 freezes on me, podcast is crashing etc. Apple needs to realize that if users want a buggy frustrating experience they can get that with Android or Windows for much less than the cost of the equivalent apple product. I'm willing to pay more to have a frustration free experience, but if you are going to produce crap software AND charge me more, then I feel like you are just ripping me off
foidulus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2014, 04:32 PM   #24
BruiserB
macrumors 6502a

Seems to crash right when it would be beginning to download new episodes on my iPad. Maybe those that aren't crashing are either up to date or don't have auto downloads turned on?
BruiserB is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2014, 04:34 PM   #25
markgpearse
macrumors member

Podcast App

On balance I love this app. I use it every day. It's amazing how many interesting podcasts there are to listen to.

However, it does have its issues. Syncing is a challenge and it's not very obvious to me what's being download to my MacBook, iPhone and iPad.
markgpearse is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion