Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

leftyMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 20, 2011
I used to have an iPad 3, then I got a retina mini this year. Though I love the lightweight, I don't take it out with me as I have my iPod touch when I go out. So my iPad stays home pretty much all the time.

How much lighter is an iPad Air compared to iPad 3?

I don't know if I should get an Air next time, but I might end up not liking the weight of it.

I'd appreciate opinions from people who have / had both and chose one over another.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
I used to have an iPad 3, then I got a retina mini this year. Though I love the lightweight, I don't take it out with me as I have my iPod touch when I go out. So my iPad stays home pretty much all the time.

I don't know if I should get an Air next time, but I might end up not liking the weight of it.

I'd appreciate opinions from people who have / had both and chose one over another.

Air + Apple Case is lighter than 3.

Its that significant,

Kryckter

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
The air is noticeably lighter!

I prefer the mini size. I don't really take mine out and about either, just use it at home. But then again I sometimes wish for the larger air over the mini. It is a very tough call!

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
I own both and my vote goes towards the Air because it's ultra light and you get more screen real estate.

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
I have an iPad 3 and an iPad retina mini with an Otterbox Defender case, which brings the mini's weight to 0.998 pounds (compared to the iPad Air's 1.05 pounds). The iPad mini with the Defender case still feels substantially lighter than the iPad 3. Granted, there's some subjectivity to it because the mini is still physically smaller than the full-sized iPad.

The problem you may encounter is that you won't be going to an Air from an iPad 3, but to an Air from the retina mini. The retina mini without a case is 0.73 pounds. Even if the difference isn't huge, the Air is a bit heavier. If you've become used to holding the retina mini, the Air is going to feel a bit heavier no matter what you do, even though the iPad 3 (1.4 pounds) was much heavier.

I generally prefer to use my iPad 3 over my retina mini at home, but rarely bring the iPad 3 outside. If I were in your position, I'd go with an Air over the mini.

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
I have the Air and rMini. I take the mini everywhere and love its portability. I use the Air at home for web browsing and prefer the larger screen and vibrant colors. It is very lightweight and a pleasure to handle, but for reading at home I prefer the smaller size of the mini. If picking one over the other, I would consider what you will primarily be using the iPad for.

Shuri

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2011

My brother has a Mini and my father the air, so I could play around with both:

IMO the Mini is a gorgeous on the go device. You barely notice it carying with you, since its so small.

But at home the bigger screen is much more valuable than the smaller body. On top the Mini doesn't subjectively feel lighter. I mean, rationally I know that it is actually lighter but somehow, because the weight is in a smaller body it feels as heavy as the bigger Air. (Again I know that it is 100 gramm lighter, but I wouldn't assume it if I wouldn't know this) So for at home use I would go for the Air.

Charliebird

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2010
I switched from a iPad Air to rMini and I've never looked back. I primary use my rMini at home. I prefer it because it's so much more comfortable to hold. To me it's like the difference between holding a paperback book versus a full size notepad. My wrist never get tired and I can use it anywhere.

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
I never see anyone take their retina mini out anywhere and most of them take iPad Air out. I think you should stick with retina mini? For me I like Air because of big screen for watching movies and playing games. :apple:

theanimaster

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2005
Mini all the way. I spent a good time in the AppleStore comparing the two. For one, the mini w retina has the same resolution as the Air. On the other hand, the Air is slightly faster -- which actually makes gaming faster.

But I use my mini for just about everything -- even watching movies as opposed to using my macbook pro.

When iOS8 comes out I could see myself using the iPad mini more at work as well -- when the ability to automatically share the LTE from my iPhone kicks in.

I like the portability and weight of the mini -- even with an Apple Smart Case on it. The size of the mini is PERFECT for games -- just wish it were as fast as the iPad Air. Indeed, Infinity Blade 3 runs a smudge smoother on the Air -- as with just about every other game.

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
I never see anyone take their retina mini out anywhere and most of them take iPad Air out. I think you should stick with retina mini? For me I like Air because of big screen for watching movies and playing games. :apple:

I think you may not see people take their rMini out because unless in use it is usually concealed in a back pocket or purse. My rMini goes everywhere with me but is rarely seen by others because it fits in my purse.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
I currently have a iPad 3 and I have used it for university to take notes and stuff. However i think they the iPad Air is a lot lighter, my stepsister has recently brought one, so I have had the chance to play around. Also I find the Air a lot faster and the colours look more vibrant. I've been very tempted to get one myself, but I'm trying to hold out for the iPad Air 2.

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
I think you may not see people take their rMini out because unless in use it is usually concealed in a back pocket or purse. My rMini goes everywhere with me but is rarely seen by others because it fits in my purse.

Yeah but I haven't seen them at Starbucks, or public library at all.

RickTaylor

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2013
I use a retina mini and love it; I take it with me everywhere. But if I never left the house with it, I think I would prefer the Air. The Air is remarkable slim and light, even if it is bigger than the mini. If you can, I'd recommend getting your hands on an Air, either a friend's or a demo unit; it's a personal decision, and maybe a few minutes trying one will make clear which one would work best for you.

Last edited:

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Wrong.
They both have the A7 64bit chip clocked at the same speed. RAM is the same too.

Beginning a statement with "Wrong." is obnoxious, especially when you're the one who is in fact wrong.

The Air's processor runs at 1.4 GHz while the Retina Mini's is 1.3 GHz. Benchmarks have shown a measurable difference in single and multicore performance, though I don't think there's much of one in everyday usage.

hamiltonDSi

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Romania
Beginning a statement with "Wrong." is obnoxious, especially when you're the one who is in fact wrong.

The Air's processor runs at 1.4 GHz while the Retina Mini's is 1.3 GHz. Benchmarks have shown a measurable difference in single and multicore performance, though I don't think there's much of one in everyday usage.

Dude, both are at 1.3GHz.
Check GSMArena.

I am not wrong.

FiremanMike

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2011
I have to admit, after buying both the original mini and then the retina mini and telling everyone who'd listen that "this is the size ipad should have been all along", I just ordered a refurb air. In the end it came down to what I use my ipad for and the desire for a bigger screen. The nail in the coffin is when I was messing around at best buy with a mini and air next to each other and found the color really was that much better. I found this particularly interesting as I'm mildly red/green colorblind..

Anyhow, both are great, it's a totally personal choice..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.