Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Walmart will begin selling the 16 GB iPhone 5c for $29 and 16 GB iPhone 5s for $99 with two-year contracts starting tomorrow, according to Engadget.

iphone5s5c.png
The retailer says that the price drop is permanent, unlike similar price drops the company has made for both the iPhone 5c and iPhone 5s. Walmart has discounted the phones before, dropping the price of the iPhone 5c from an initial $79 to $49 and the iPhone 5s from $199 to $149. The new price cuts discount the iPhone 5c and iPhone 5s $20 and $50, respectively, from Walmart's current prices.

Pricing will also be reduced for the 32 GB variants of both phones, but it's not yet known how much they could be discounted. Walmart price cuts will take effect tomorrow at 9 am local time.

Update: Walmart has confirmed to MacRumors that the 32 GB variants of the iPhone 5c and iPhone 5s will be on sale for $129 and $199 respectively, offering a $20 savings on the iPhone 5c and $50 savings on the iPhone 5s. It's unclear at this time whether the 32 GB price drops are permanent.

Article Link: Walmart Permanently Discounts iPhone 5c to $29 and iPhone 5s to $99 [Updated]

DavidBlack

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2013
Somewhere In Apple's HQ ;)
I want a unlock iPhone 5S Gold. I won't be interested in the new iPhone 6 or whatever they call it. Due to the larger screen and my small hands it's not going to be easy using it with one hand.

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/
Wow, cheap. Lesson learned: If you want an iPhone that won't be the newest model for long, buy from Walmart or similar. The Apple Retail Store is going to charge full price until the iPhone 6 is out.

What do they do if you buy a 'Droid? Sell it for negative money on a contract? If it's just free, $29 or $99 is easily worth the upgrade.

TWSS37

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
Oh the days of this forum where $29 phones would be for "people who can't afford iPhone"...

kyte

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2008
Newcastle, AU
Those of us in Australia gaze with awe and jealousy at the prices you pay over there... admittedly, thats not including your tax, but its still a whole lot cheaper than here. Do you have to pay more for the phone? Like, monthly payments alongside your contracted Telco deal? Or, is that it... Even your old regular prices are astonishing...

jelew1985

macrumors member
May 12, 2011
We have had these prices for several months now. Just means we will be dropping ours soon. :)

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Oh the days of this forum where $29 phones would be for "people who can't afford iPhone"...

Funny, just yesterday in the Android Auto thread, some people were saying that while CarPlay will be in luxury cars, Android Auto will be in cheap cars like Toyotas, Hondas and Hyundais because those cars, much like Android, are for peasants.

If a $50 Android phone is for peasants, I can't imagine what that makes a $29 iPhone. ;)

Marc-SP

Oct 7, 2013
What do they do if you buy a 'Droid? Sell it for negative money on a contract? If it's just free, $29 or $99 is easily worth the upgrade.

That is just because the diabolic "subsidy" system in the USA. In other countries, with real competence, most people will not be pushed to buy a high end phone (due to the apparent inexpensiveness and the “even if don’t get the phone I still have to pay almost the same to the carrier, so…”). Instead you can see the real price of each item, and pay according to your needs.

For example, my mother bought a Lumia 520 (about $120 off contract, SIM free… - iPhone 5c, is about $600-), and she only pays the amount of data/voice/text she really uses. She is in a postpaid account, but she can leave anytime freely, and there is not a base or minimum monthly fee. So, as she doesn’t use so much data or voice or text, some months she pays like $2 or $3, and an average of $5 or $6. This is the way it should be everywhere. If you use more, you pay more, BUT if you use little, you pay little, or even nothing if you did not use that month.

And by the way, I am talking about a country member of the European Union for more than 25 years, not a developing nation where people's salary is $200 a month.

Last edited:

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
Those of us in Australia gaze with awe and jealousy at the prices you pay over there... admittedly, thats not including your tax, but its still a whole lot cheaper than here. Do you have to pay more for the phone? Like, monthly payments alongside your contracted Telco deal? Or, is that it... Even your old regular prices are astonishing...

We probably pay more per GB on those monthly 2-year contracts than you do on a prepaid or month-to-month plan. At AT&T, we pay $60+tax for 300MB of data on 1 line, which isn't a whole lot of data.

Marc-SP

Oct 7, 2013
We probably pay more per GB on those monthly 2-year contracts than you do on a prepaid or month-to-month plan. At AT&T, we pay $60+tax for 300MB of data on 1 line, which isn't a whole lot of data.

:eek::eek:
In my european country I pay $11 (tax inc.) for 1,2 GB (max speed 7.2 Mb/s, but that is faster than my wired ADSL connection from 5 years ago, so...)

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
We are less than 3 months away from a completely new form factor and if Apple makes 32gig the starting tier at $200 so many people will feel stupid. My advice is to just wait and pay the $200 for a phone that will last you for at least 2 years. I love Android myself but I don't have any regrets getting my wife the iPhone 5 on release day. I will be using her upgrade while she squeezes another year out of her phone.
To me that larger 4.7" screen size is worth $100 and 3 months of wait time.

Enabledobject

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2014
300MB? That doesn't sound right. Granted, I'm on Verizon, but my wife and I share 3GB and pay $60 per phone.

jthompson666

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2011
So glad I live in the uk.. People in the states pay so much for cell service.. I bought the iPhone 5s full price (sim free) unlocked and pay £12.90 (roughly $20) a month and get totally unlimited data (no caps).. 600 minutes and 5000 texts.. Plus I get free roaming on AT&T & T-Mobiles networks in the states.. Austrailia and a bunch of other countries are free also. So I can continue to use my iPhone just as if I was still in the uk. Ironic that I can get unlimited data in the states cheaper than people who actually live there :D.. Plus from December 2015 roaming charges are being completely abolished within the EU and some countries in the EEC.. The USA is really very anti - competitive! T - Mobile seems to be the only thing driving any sort of competition over there..

Enabledobject

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2014
:eek::eek:
In my european country I pay $11 (tax inc.) for 1,2 GB (max speed 7.2 Mb/s, but that is faster than my wired ADSL connection from 5 years ago, so...)

Oh yeah, we get raped here in the states for stuff like that. Wanna hear how much we pay for home internet at 12 Mb/s?
You know, that awesome "free market" and whatnot.....

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
300MB? That doesn't sound right. Granted, I'm on Verizon, but my wife and I share 3GB and pay $60 per phone.

That because you have 2 lines with Verizon vs. the individual line I quoted from AT&T. When you have multiple lines there's a small savings and $/GB varies from carrier to carrier. You're comparing apples to oranges.

UPDATE:
Alright, so I looked it up and just as I thought, on Verizon you can get an individual plan for $60/month with 1 GB of Data and that's 2 year contract pricing.
You can also opt for the "More Everything" plan.
For 2 phones you pay $40/Smartphone = $80
And 3GB of shared data is an additional $60
So in total, 2 lines on Verizon with 3GB of shared data would cost $140/month

Your pricing might differ depending where you live and also if you have an old plan that's no longer available.

Last edited:

Alex1213

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2014
You the end for the flagship phone is near when this stuff happens so it's time for the iphone 6 to come

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
So glad I live in the uk.. People in the states pay so much for cell service.. I bought the iPhone 5s full price (sim free) unlocked and pay £12.90 (roughly $20) a month and get totally unlimited data (no caps).. 600 minutes and 5000 texts.. Plus I get free roaming on AT&T & T-Mobiles networks in the states.. Austrailia and a bunch of other countries are free also. So I can continue to use my iPhone just as if I was still in the uk. Ironic that I can get unlimited data in the states cheaper than people who actually live there :D.. Plus from December 2015 roaming charges are being completely abolished within the EU and some countries in the EEC.. The USA is really very anti - competitive! T - Mobile seems to be the only thing driving any sort of competition over there..
It might be because we are actually paying for the maintenance of all those towers across the 48 states and not the service. Who is your provider in the EU?

MikeyMike01

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2010
That is just because the diabolic "subsidy" system in the USA. In other countries, with real competence, most people will not be pushed to buy a high end phone (due to the apparent inexpensiveness and the “even if don’t get the phone I still have to pay almost the same to the carrier, so…”). Instead you can see the real price of each item, and pay according to your needs.

For example, my mother bought a Lumia 520 (about $120 off contract, SIM free… - iPhone 5c, is about $600-), and she only pays the amount of data/voice/text she really uses. She is in a postpaid account, but she can leave anytime freely, and there is not a base or minimum monthly fee. So, as she doesn’t use so much data or voice or text, some months she pays like $2 or $3, and an average of $5 or $6. This is the way it should be everywhere. If you use more, you pay more, BUT if you use little, you pay little, or even nothing if you did not use that month.

And by the way, I am talking about a country member of the European Union for more than 25 years, not a developing nation where people's salary is $200 a month.

There's nothing diabolical about it, quite acting like such a fool.

Moreover, if someone wants what you describe, it's readily available in the US. I pay $30 a month and full price for my phones.

----------

I've said it before and it's proven. The iPhone 5c was a failure.

I bet HTC, Sony, and many others would kill to put out a failure or two like the 5c.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I've said it before and it's proven. The iPhone 5c was a failure.

Excuse me "hobby" (handgestures quotation marks)

So many people say this yet none have any sources for it. I suppose they figure if they say it often enough it will become true.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.